DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-16-2009, 06:37 PM

Default Drum Throne ? From a NewB

Hi All,

I have been lurking for a while. This place is a great information source, so I am hoping you can provide some guidance to a new drummer.

I am 26 and just started drumming. I know a bit late to be getting on it, but i LOVE it so far.

I have some low back issues and want to invest in a good throne. I have tried both the round and bicycle style thrones, but am still not sure which one will be better for the back and cause less fatigue. I am tall (6'3") and pretty lean (so my butt is not huge).

Any thoughts? I haven't really developed a style yet, and I doube I will ever go the double pedal route.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Drum Throne ? From a NewB

It truly is all about comfort. You can buy a high end throne now of a certain style, and maybe a few years down then road you'll decide that you prefer the opposite style. There are also many thrones with backrests.

I would say go for a round style first, as it's just fairly general, and if you ever have to use someone elses kit, more than likely their throne will be round, so you wont be uncomfortable playing.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

Whether you go with a throne or stool doesn't matter in my opinion, but you'll want something with some heavy padding so it doesn't end up collapsing over time. I play on a stool, because it feels kind of weird for me playing on a throne due to the way it feels on the back of my upper thigh (my leg kin of feels restricted). Have you tried moving the seat around may be further back or closer, or possibly raising or lowering the height, it could account for sitting in an uncomfortable position for long periods of time. They also make detachable back rests that you can put on either a throne or a stool that may help. Trust me, I'm in my mid 20's and started up about 6months ago and it's all about whatever feels good.

And do some stretching before you play, it'll help out immensely!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Thank you both! Appreciated.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

I sat on a old(1971) Rogers throne for years and just recently bought a round Roc-n-Soc Nitro throne, I should have done it years ago. I prefer round throne to bicycle type throne because if it moves it will always stay the same. The throne believe it or not gave me more stamina and my playing is a little better because i'm comfortable now.

I never realize a throne would make that much difference but it's one of the most important pieces of the drum kit if you think about it. I bought the throne after a guy I gig with once in awhile was doing 2 1/2 hr. sets.

If you're gonna sit for 2 1/2 hrs. at a time you better be comfortable LOL

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead
Old 07-16-2009, 10:24 PM

yeah, i keep hearing this same story... had the same crappy throne for years, bought a good one, etc. it's really a good place to sink a few bucks. roc-n-soc is my personal fav. been playing on one for about a year, saddle-style. it rotates freely, so when you turn to hit that extra floor tom, it'll turn with you. pretty smooth. best purchase i've made in years.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:59 PM
audiotech

I have a lot of drum thrones including those from Roc N Soc, Pearl and Tama. The Roc N Soc is the saddle seat with hydraulics and Lunar base, which is very comfortable. I bought a Roc N Soc round hydraulic throne but had to take it back. The size of it's cushion actually cut off the blood flow to the back of my legs, where the saddle seat doesn't. I also love the feel and slight bounce of the new Tama hydraulic thrones, that's probably my favorite of all of them. I tried both the Ergo and the round seats and settled for the round.

Dennis
Old 07-17-2009, 04:43 AM
Platinum Member

I have had a bad back for years. This is the throne that I use. I had to bend the backrest a bit to suit my needs. It was no problem to bend it . I simply wrapped a towel around the support to protect it and I placed it in a vice and bent it slightly for a more upright seating position. I can now play for hours without pain.http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/sto...tegorySA182872
Old 07-17-2009, 02:46 PM

I would say your butt will be the best judge on what's good for you. Try some out at the store. Definitely buy a good one though (Roc N Soc, Pork Pie, etc.) it's WORTH the investment.

Also, as for starting late don't worry about that. I'm 24 and only started when I was 23. Keep practicing and you'll be awesome!