DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-16-2008, 03:11 PM

Default Ian Paice

"The Mule"....one of Rock's most talented and prolific drummers ever, most famously with Deep Purple, played with Rainbow, Gary Moore, Whitesnake....the Pearly King!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...Paice_2005.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeGs7gFHCQ4

Last edited by mystic fred; 04-16-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Ian Paice

I can never have too much of Ian Paice playing :-))
Old 04-17-2008, 12:47 AM

I saw Deep Puple at the House of Blue's in Orlando, it was an exciting show, and Ian seemed as tight and as groovy as ever. He has a very crisp style of fills, he is always entertaining to watch and listen too. He also has a very distinct swing feel to his playing, a lot of my favorite rock drummers have that quality.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:11 AM
Rebel

Default Ian Paice, the older the better!

Hello, All.

Just a brief comment to share with you.
Ian Paice - Deep Purple, the older he gets the better drumming he does, for us.
Let the mule remain kicking!

Thanks & Regards.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:41 AM

Ian Paice was my biggest influence. He was the first guy that I heard do things like follow the guitar riff and go over the bar line with his fills. His fills on outros especially are stunning. Pictures of home, Mary Long, etc, he always added something to a song that was unexpected, and his groove was so identifiable. When you heard those sound edge hats on the radio, you knew it was deep purple. As a teenager, I remember telling my drum teacher, (a very accomplished player), about how impressed I was with Ian Paice, to which he replied, "That guy is not a drummer, all he does is single stroke rolls". Then he showed me all this stuff by Gadd and other more fusion type drummers, who were great, but didn't way me from Ian being the favorite. it is interesting that after playing drum now for over 30 years, and having developed a better understanding of technique, when I look back at Ian's playing I can see how wrong that teacher was. Although he is not as firey now as he was when he was young, no one was doing kind of drumming he did in rock music when he did it. That mule solo is still one of the truly great drum solos of all time. Not bad when you consider all the training videos etc that are out there today, and Ian never had the benefit of any of that. A true great. A true drumming pioneer, and still going strong.

Baz
Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeellis View Post
Some time ago, I was told that Ian still uses his old Ludwigs for recording. Naturally this was NOT from Ian himself so I can't be 100% sure if that is the case.
I've heard that also. But the Pearl Masters Premium http://www.pearldrum.com/masters.asp with a thin 4 ply (Luddie was 3) and maple reinforcement rings is gonna come darn close to that good old Luddie sound.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:18 AM

I would lilke to add, that, on the "Machine Head" album, if you listen to "Maybe I'm a Leo", lesten to the fills in that song, they're great.
Don't take this the wrong way, but, I would put his technical skills above Bonham.... I am not bashing Bonham, just an opinion regarding Paice's skills.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:30 AM

Any of you Ian Paice fans (I am) play his signature snare drum?
Are you happy with the sound & particularly the internal damper?
Do you use the damper & does it do a good job?

The Ludwig (supra I think) used to have an internal damper, but not now.
I ask as because I fancy a nice Pearl kit (& another snare).....when I get time to have a good look around.
Thanks.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Rebel

Hello, All.

With such great albums and drumming on: In Rock, Machine Head, Fireball, Made In Japan, Made In Europe, Live in London...Ian Paice does an remarkable, outstanding playing, I remain his follower.

All the Best,

Ian
Old 10-30-2008, 08:21 PM

Ian Paice putting the swing into 7:30 minutes of "Lazy".......which really gets cooking around 5:45
Always worth another look
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xrkDi2n0Nqg&NR=1
Old 10-30-2008, 09:29 PM

Yeah, LAZY what a classic!
Ian Paice is still one of my favorite drummers..
Loved seeing them live in the 70's, 80's & 00's.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

Deep Purple is cool.
I love Highway star!
Old 11-13-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the baz View Post
As a teenager, I remember telling my drum teacher, (a very accomplished player), about how impressed I was with Ian Paice, to which he replied, "That guy is not a drummer, all he does is single stroke rolls". Baz
Paice is not a drummer and all he does is single stroke rolls? I guess all Bonham did was triplets! Talk about not seeing the big picture! That's a rather shortsighted comment coming from "a very accomplished player". I have no problem with him wanting to show you the styles of Gadd and people like but to minimize what Paice does in that manner is inexcusable in my book. Paice is only one of the all time great rock drummers and his body of work speaks for itself. Shame on your drum teacher.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddstuff View Post
Paice is not a drummer and all he does is single stroke rolls? I guess all Bonham did was triplets! Talk about not seeing the big picture! That's a rather shortsighted comment coming from "a very accomplished player". I have no problem with him wanting to show you the styles of Gadd and people like but to minimize what Paice does in that manner is inexcusable in my book. Paice is only one of the all time great rock drummers and his body of work speaks for itself. Shame on your drum teacher.
Bravo! But then again, I would have felt the same way if anyone had said anything in Ian's defense.

I agree with the baz on his playing on DP's outros. The Shield (Book of Taliesyn), Unwritten Law (House of the Blue Light), Flight of the Rat (In Rock),...
Old 11-13-2008, 10:20 PM

I would not have a problem if that drum teacher had told his student that Paice is a fine, accomplished drummer but there are other styles of drumming he would like to show his pupil. But to be that dismissive of a professional drummer who is revered the world over and has Ian's track record is absolutely ridiculous. And as great as Gadd is I'm sure there are young drummers out there who would be content with being the next Ian Paice. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:52 AM
Rebel

In my opinion if Ian Paice is a single stroke roller and not a drummer, that kind of comment is out of context due to single stroke rolls are part of drumming. We all do single stroke rolls...enjoy Ian's pictures, The Mule kicks.

Thanks & Regards,
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2008, 04:48 PM

URGENT:Ian Paice fans.

Interview with Ian Paice can be heard on your laptop at www.planetrock.com Sat 13th Dec 18.00 GMT & repeated on Tue 16 th Dec 18.00 GMT
Old 12-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Rebel

Hello, Royal.

Thanks a lot, mate! Good job...The Mule kicks.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Rebel

From Mike Dolbear:

Ian Paice needs no introduction. He is the powerhouse that has for 40 years propelled Deep Purple with a deep sense of groove, power, swing and swagger. He remains the only man to have played in all the line ups since the bands inception. He spawned a whole generation of rock drummers with his speed, control and knowing when to leave space. His career has also taken in the multi platinum Whitesnake outfit and funky offshoots such as Paice Ashton Lord. He continues to mesmerise audiences - but it is his lengthy recording legacy that is astonishing.

The following question was asked to Ian Paice:

In terms of technique, youíre well known for a very fast even single stroke roll and doubles as well, how do you keep that up over the years?

I think every player has things they find easier than other things. Iíve always found doubles very simple, and that means both speed and power, singles almost as simple. The singles the most basic thing in the world, the hard thing with singles is when youíre getting up to a good speed is to keep the evenness of the hands, your weak hand always wants to start doing something different whether it gets tired or just slightly out of synch. Thatís just practice. I donít mean to practice for hours at a time, itís a matter of just keeping the muscles remembering what theyíre meant to do, and it might be two or three minutes a day. At the end of the day the real speed starts with your fingers, itís a matter of just getting the muscles in balance, so singles and doubles Iíve never really found difficult. I find flams a little more demanding, I play them but Iím sure I donít play they correctly, but itís sort of worked OK for me.

Cheers,
Old 06-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

I'm pretty sure he also jammed with Black Sabbath.......Cool. His style alone is unmatched.

Bonzolead
Old 06-30-2009, 07:48 PM

To say that all Paice does is single strokes is absolutely ridiculous. If you pay attention to any of the videos or DVDs of Ian with Deep Purple or otherwise you can see that he does much more than singles.

He makes heavy use of doubles and different versions of paradiddle.

This drum solo is a great example of what I'm talking about, and a lot of the fills that he does in the songs are reminiscent of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_-bT5Ig0oQ

On a side note I was privileged to have a brief encounter with Mr. Paice at the airport in Malta when Deep Purple played their only show there in 98. He signed my CD. The last time I saw Deep Purple was two years ago in Atlantic City and I managed to get a stick from Mr. Paice before they ran off stage.

The band that I currently play in plays mainly original material, but since we are all big Purple fans we usually close our shows with Black Night. Check it out at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpM2SFF27sM
Old 06-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drums4nik View Post
To say that all Paice does is single strokes is absolutely ridiculous. If you pay attention to any of the videos or DVDs of Ian with Deep Purple or otherwise you can see that he does much more than singles.

He makes heavy use of doubles and different versions of paradiddle.

This drum solo is a great example of what I'm talking about, and a lot of the fills that he does in the songs are reminiscent of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_-bT5Ig0oQ

On a side note I was privileged to have a brief encounter with Mr. Paice at the airport in Malta when Deep Purple played their only show there in 98. He signed my CD. The last time I saw Deep Purple was two years ago in Atlantic City and I managed to get a stick from Mr. Paice before they ran off stage.

The band that I currently play in plays mainly original material, but since we are all big Purple fans we usually close our shows with Black Night. Check it out at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpM2SFF27sM
You are a lucky man talking to Ian Paice and also having a stick of his very cool.

You're band does a good job on Black Night not too many bands jam that tune cool choice.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead
Old 06-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

I got his sig. snare. It kicks ass.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:27 AM
Rebel

Comments from - Ian Paice - regarding, the recording an album now, very interesting:

The other thing is that people are getting very standardised in the sound that they are allowed to produce in the studio. Producers know that there is a certain sound you can get very easily and very quickly and thatís what they want you to go for. Again you have the same problem where the individuality has been taken out of it; itís very hard to tell whoís playing anymore. To go back to one of the simplest examples, when Bonzo was playing you knew it was him, it was his sound, when Mitch Mitchell was playing, you knew it was him, it was his style, when Ginger Baker was playing, you knew it was Ginger because it was him. The standardisation of everything is making us lose our humanity and what makes those old records still interesting to kids today who werenít even born when they were made, is that they have a human connection with the musician creating it. Thatís all been taken away by the technologically perfect medium with which we are asked to create art now, the records are now perfect and theyíre not as good.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Gold Member

Another one of my favs......man I love his drum sound.....esp. his snare...great drummer!
Old 07-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
Another one of my favs......man I love his drum sound.....esp. his snare...great drummer!
How can you not like his snare sound, the old stuff he played a LM402 Ludwig just like Bonham great snare he does fantastic paradiddles and over the top press rolls the drum teacher who said all he does is single-strokes needs too look more into his work. he's not Gadd but I would like too see Gadd jam "Burn" Gadd is a great drummer but guarantee he wont sound like Paice. IMO Ian Paice IS the most under-rated drummer in Rock.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead
Old 07-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
How can you not like his snare sound, the old stuff he played a LM402 Ludwig just like Bonham great snare he does fantastic paradiddles and over the top press rolls the drum teacher who said all he does is single-strokes needs too look more into his work. he's not Gadd but I would like too see Gadd jam "Burn" Gadd is a great drummer but guarantee he wont sound like Paice. IMO Ian Paice IS the most under-rated drummer in Rock.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead
Yea I agree about the under-rated bit...def. a really good drummer, but I also don't think he's as good as bonzo (IMO).
Old 07-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
Yea I agree about the under-rated bit...def. a really good drummer, but I also don't think he's as good as bonzo (IMO).
Bonham will always be my Fav. no doubt I think Bonham popularity arise from not only being a great drummer but a total original no one like him kinda like Hendrix in a way, I've had the pleasure of seeing DP 4 times only once with Ritchie (Perfect Strangers tour) Ian totally killed it everytime I seen him through.

Bonzolead
Old 07-16-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
Comments from - Ian Paice - regarding, the recording an album now, very interesting:

Thatís all been taken away by the technologically perfect medium with which we are asked to create art now, the records are now perfect and theyíre not as good.
fully agree, too much synthezized and programmed sound on Todays music, too perfect and too boring., doesnt sound real.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:07 AM

Ian Paice is one of my favorite drummers. He's great. I saw him 4 times this year, and it was amazing.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

Seeing Ian Paice live with Deep Purple was awesome.

You really have to seem him to really appreciate his skill at the drum set.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:38 AM
Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Seeing Ian Paice live with Deep Purple was awesome.

You really have to seem him to really appreciate his skill at the drum set.
I would love to see Ian Paice playing live...one of my dreams!
Old 08-02-2009, 03:16 PM

Paice Rules and that's about all I have to say on this matter.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:54 AM

The great Ian Paice. I think he is great, one of the greatest! I love the sound of his kit. I wish to see him play live. That would be amazing to see him live and then go home and try and play those songs. I could never play like him!
Old 08-10-2009, 11:06 AM

Had a chance to meet DP backstage in Colo Spgs in 02 . Glover,Gillan,Morse...No Ian Pace in sight .Was hoping to meet him..watching him perform was just as good. Amazing chops !! Machine Head Album .. What more can be said ?
Old 08-31-2009, 05:32 AM

I honestly think that Ian Paice is one of the most underrated drummers of all time. He is fantastic.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziemex99 View Post
I honestly think that Ian Paice is one of the most underrated drummers of all time. He is fantastic.
Ian Paice is great on fast single and double stroke rolls, with a jazzy touch included. The main instrument is his brain, the man is brilliant...

Check: http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/ianpaicethemule.html
Old 09-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
Bonham will always be my Fav. no doubt I think Bonham popularity arise from not only being a great drummer but a total original no one like him kinda like Hendrix in a way, I've had the pleasure of seeing DP 4 times only once with Ritchie (Perfect Strangers tour) Ian totally killed it everytime I seen him through.

Bonzolead
This Bonham Paice thing has come alot, and it's really apples and oranges.

Both are killer drummers, but Zepplin and Bonham played a variety of styles that Deep Purple never did. But I also think that John Paul Jones really made Bonham. Take away Jone's bass playing and what would Bonham have done? It's amazing how many think alot of Jones' bass playing is drums. Rock and Roll is a great example of this. I don't think I've ever heard anything from Bonham that wasn't with Zepplin so what could he have done without Jones? Paice has played with a lot of different musicians, but the music has been straight forward hard rock for the most part, so what else can he do? What would he do with the folk, country and acoustic stuff? We can assume a lot, but we'll never know any of this until it's done which is something Bonham can't do now.

One thing about both of them that makes them greats in my opinion is that they are both musicians and drummers. Not only could they both play fantastic grooves, but they also played them melodically. 2 Songs for Paice that I didn't see mentioned here are Hush and Woman From Tokyo. Listen to that chourus bridge thing in Hush, not only does Paice nail the rhythm, but he plays the melody while doing it. These guys didn't play drums, they played songs. Something that is sadly missing today in the mainstream.

I think Paice has missed the point when he talks about everybody sounding the same now. The drummers he mentions played at a time when drummers could be musicians more then they are allowed today. So much of rock is cookie cutter music to repeat was has been successful. Listen to top 40 radio today, and you're really listening to a half a dozen songs redone over and over. It's rare if not impossible for a top 40 group to step out of the box.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donv View Post
This Bonham Paice thing has come alot, and it's really apples and oranges.

Both are killer drummers, but Zepplin and Bonham played a variety of styles that Deep Purple never did. But I also think that John Paul Jones really made Bonham. Take away Jone's bass playing and what would Bonham have done? It's amazing how many think alot of Jones' bass playing is drums. Rock and Roll is a great example of this. I don't think I've ever heard anything from Bonham that wasn't with Zepplin so what could he have done without Jones? Paice has played with a lot of different musicians, but the music has been straight forward hard rock for the most part, so what else can he do? What would he do with the folk, country and acoustic stuff? We can assume a lot, but we'll never know any of this until it's done which is something Bonham can't do now.

One thing about both of them that makes them greats in my opinion is that they are both musicians and drummers. Not only could they both play fantastic grooves, but they also played them melodically. 2 Songs for Paice that I didn't see mentioned here are Hush and Woman From Tokyo. Listen to that chourus bridge thing in Hush, not only does Paice nail the rhythm, but he plays the melody while doing it. These guys didn't play drums, they played songs. Something that is sadly missing today in the mainstream.

I think Paice has missed the point when he talks about everybody sounding the same now. The drummers he mentions played at a time when drummers could be musicians more then they are allowed today. So much of rock is cookie cutter music to repeat was has been successful. Listen to top 40 radio today, and you're really listening to a half a dozen songs redone over and over. It's rare if not impossible for a top 40 group to step out of the box.
You're right it's like comparing apples to oranges i've always said there is something in the water over there(England) Cozy,Bonham,Ginger,Moon,Ward,Paice,Palmer just too name a few. I've heard recordings with Lord Sutch with Bonham on the drums and he had IT you knew it was him as soon as you heard the drums, having a great bass player like JPJ helps of course but Paice had Glover very underrated IMO what it comes down too is that they were great rhythm sections just like Moon & Entwistle. Great bass players & drummers know how feed off one another, but once in awhile you'll get the MAGIC combo and that is what Bonham & JPJ were but there are many MAGIC combos out there back then & present.

Nowadays hardly anybody tries to experiment with recordings like they did back in the 60's or 70's and that's why they sound so cookie cutter IMO i'm sure there are a few that still do but today but it's mostly go to the studio and record, not go too a castle put the drums in the foyer and hang 3 mics at different heights like LZ did for "When the Levee Breaks" it's kinda of sad in a way. Back too the topic Paice is GREAT one of my fav's. probably more so since Bonham's passing.

BL
Old 09-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

Glad I read this thread. It's prompted a three day Paice bender. Haven't listened to anything but Purple albums since Thurs. It's been good to revisit them and I've made myself focus purely on the drumming (not easy with two masters like Blackmore and Lord to ignore!!!). Insane,,,,the man has immeasurable talent and is a joy to listen to. No point getting into the a/b thing with drummers. Bonham was truely great, Paice had a completely different thing going on and it was great, Palmer was different again....and great....Appice was...well, I could go on forever....but it's pretty much why we refer to all of these guys as 'THE GREATS' of rock drumming.