DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #81  
Old 07-06-2009, 09:16 PM
jazzgregg's Avatar
jazzgregg jazzgregg is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,076
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

It's completely true that the Canadians were so afraid of becoming the USA (a legit and completely justified fear, btw) they enacted this law. It's also true that yeah, if a band was that good, it would have been heard anyway. Look at bands like Rush. I dunno exactly when CanCon caame in (it was raised to %30 in the 80s though. Maybe it started then?) but they seemed to do fine without it. In other forms of music, every Jazz guitarist needs to know of Lenny Breau and every Jazz player period knows of Oscar. What about Neil Young? Did HE need CanCon? Of course not. It's just paranoia, leading to a load of crap. The other issue I have is who is CaCon for, the US or the Canadians? Because Ic an tell you, it's not for the Yanks. They don't care about Canadian, they care about CHARTS. Hence Nickelcrap. So it must be for Canadians then? What Canadian needs to hear more Blue Rodeo? Don't we all know 'Diamond Mine' by heart anyway? You know what I'm saying? Seriously. CanCon is a joke.

Duncan- plenty of room.

Eddie- Downing Street was cool! Whitehall too. It was great, parliament, all that. I'll put up some more random pics soon. But now.....things I have learned/questions I have come up with since I have been in Britain!!!!:

1. How are you all not 20 stone?! I've seen more greasy assed, fry ups than I could imagine!! They are EVERYWHERE, fried this, fried that. I got fish and chips (which were AMAZING) and they were obviosuly fried but MAN it was a massive hunk of fish.

2. For as vast as London's transit system is, if I can follow it, it must be super organized. No fooling, I thought I was f****d for sure coming here with no sense of direction and unable to follow a map, but NO! It's all good, really really impressive.

3. Why are there not screens on the windows? I'm currently being driven mad by a fly and earlier I was terrified that a pigeon who lives nearby (I assume) was going to come in my window. (edit- he is back....).

4. Carphone Warehouse is everywhere.

5. Even if things might be a bit more expensive here, I LOVE having the taxes included. Coming from Canada, when something says it costs 25 bucks, that might mean 27, 30 something, I never know.

6. The Starbucks here have better food.

7. I have finally gotten the hang of walking across the road, looking the appropriate way at the appropriate time. But do motorists HAVE to stop for you at a crosswalk?

8. Beef paste is what you think it is and very gross.

9. I know why everything here is in a pasty. Because the British can make a pocket like no one else!!!!

10. Where can I get (and what do you call) the kind of liquid cream that you whip to make whipped cream, like 'table cream'?

More soon, when I remember them=)

GB
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 07-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
7. I have finally gotten the hang of walking across the road, looking the appropriate way at the appropriate time. But do motorists HAVE to stop for you at a crosswalk?
Depends on the crossing. Zebra crossing (the black and white ones with the beacons) they have to stop if you have stepped out and most of the time people will stop if you wait. At least, I always do and so do 90% of motorists, apart from the obvious BMW 3 Series drivers. The other ones, you have to press the button to cross and wait for the lights, but I'm assuming you knew that anyway.

Quote:
10. Where can I get (and what do you call) the kind of liquid cream that you whip to make whipped cream, like 'table cream'?
You can just buy whipped cream in an aerosol can. But I'm assuming it's not as good?

Quote:
9. I know why everything here is in a pasty. Because the British can make a pocket like no one else!!!!
Get a pasty from the Cornwall Pasty Co. Their shops are black and yellow (the Cornish colours) and those are, bar none, the best. That and the obvious Steak and Guinness pasties.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 07-06-2009, 10:25 PM
ace76543 ace76543 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 162
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgregg View Post
Hey man,

Er...I forgot there was an off topic section, I never post there. DB, Jason, any chance you could move it there? Sorry about that.

I'm in Toronto, so I've no idea whatsoever about Winnipeg, except that it seems to produce good trumpet players. What's making you go to Winnipeg? Man, I'd say Toronto (plus, I can recommend you everything I know=). If you HAVE to go to Winnipeg, I can ask around for you. Let me know,

GB
Hey,

I'm in toronto too, whereabouts are you? And what drum shops do you go to? The only ones i know are Just Drums and Soul drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Depends on the crossing. Zebra crossing (the black and white ones with the beacons) they have to stop if you have stepped out and most of the time people will stop if you wait. At least, I always do and so do 90% of motorists, apart from the obvious BMW 3 Series drivers. The other ones, you have to press the button to cross and wait for the lights, but I'm assuming you knew that anyway.
actually it doesn't depend on anything. they have to stop for you, even if you're jaywalking
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 07-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

I'm talking about being in the UK. As somebody who drives most days, I believe I know what the laws are concerning our crossings. Plus there's no such thing as 'Jaywalking' in the UK, as there aren't that many crossings, walking across without one is absolutely normal. It doesn't need a separate name.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 07-06-2009, 11:44 PM
jonescrusher's Avatar
jonescrusher jonescrusher is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,190
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Depends on the crossing. Zebra crossing (the black and white ones with the beacons) they have to stop if you have stepped out and most of the time people will stop if you wait.
Yes, I've always considered this an interesting one - the motorist is only obliged to stop to let you cross if you've already put a foot onto the crossing, by which time you've placed complete trust in the motorist to actually stop! Should they not stop, at least you've got the law on your side and a juicy compensation payout :)

As my memory serves, double cream should whip up nicely. And tell me more of this beef paste. Is this a sandwich filler kind of thing? I'd recommend Shippam's crab paste for sandwiches.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 07-06-2009, 11:49 PM
jonescrusher's Avatar
jonescrusher jonescrusher is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,190
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace76543 View Post


actually it doesn't depend on anything. they have to stop for you, even if you're jaywalking
You're certainly right in a moral sense. I'd hope there aren't too many people who'd be happy to run a ped over just because they weren't using a designated crossing! That said, walking out in front of fast moving traffic on a dual carriageway expecting cars to stop and let you pass is only going to earn you a mental health assessment.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 07-07-2009, 04:45 AM
freebirdgdw's Avatar
freebirdgdw freebirdgdw is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 642
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

The whole 'CanCon' thing (good name btw, yours or a real term?) seems to be utter BS. The UK don't have anything like it, although I would imagine that Canada are a bit more likely to be influenced by the US. Regardless though if good music is being made people will listen to it, if not a nation are being forced to listen to mediocre music. doesn't seem fair.
__________________
KIT
COVERS
BAND
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 07-07-2009, 04:15 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgregg View Post
It's completely true that the Canadians were so afraid of becoming the USA (a legit and completely justified fear, btw) they enacted this law. It's also true that yeah, if a band was that good, it would have been heard anyway. Look at bands like Rush. I dunno exactly when CanCon caame in (it was raised to %30 in the 80s though. Maybe it started then?) but they seemed to do fine without it. In other forms of music, every Jazz guitarist needs to know of Lenny Breau and every Jazz player period knows of Oscar. What about Neil Young? Did HE need CanCon? Of course not. It's just paranoia, leading to a load of crap. The other issue I have is who is CaCon for, the US or the Canadians? Because Ic an tell you, it's not for the Yanks. They don't care about Canadian, they care about CHARTS. Hence Nickelcrap. So it must be for Canadians then? What Canadian needs to hear more Blue Rodeo? Don't we all know 'Diamond Mine' by heart anyway? You know what I'm saying? Seriously. CanCon is a joke.

Duncan- plenty of room.

Eddie- Downing Street was cool! Whitehall too. It was great, parliament, all that. I'll put up some more random pics soon. But now.....things I have learned/questions I have come up with since I have been in Britain!!!!:

1. How are you all not 20 stone?! I've seen more greasy assed, fry ups than I could imagine!! They are EVERYWHERE, fried this, fried that. I got fish and chips (which were AMAZING) and they were obviosuly fried but MAN it was a massive hunk of fish.

2. For as vast as London's transit system is, if I can follow it, it must be super organized. No fooling, I thought I was f****d for sure coming here with no sense of direction and unable to follow a map, but NO! It's all good, really really impressive.

3. Why are there not screens on the windows? I'm currently being driven mad by a fly and earlier I was terrified that a pigeon who lives nearby (I assume) was going to come in my window. (edit- he is back....).

4. Carphone Warehouse is everywhere.

5. Even if things might be a bit more expensive here, I LOVE having the taxes included. Coming from Canada, when something says it costs 25 bucks, that might mean 27, 30 something, I never know.

6. The Starbucks here have better food.

7. I have finally gotten the hang of walking across the road, looking the appropriate way at the appropriate time. But do motorists HAVE to stop for you at a crosswalk?

8. Beef paste is what you think it is and very gross.

9. I know why everything here is in a pasty. Because the British can make a pocket like no one else!!!!

10. Where can I get (and what do you call) the kind of liquid cream that you whip to make whipped cream, like 'table cream'?

More soon, when I remember them=)

GB
1. Actually most people are fat in england, some stats say it will be 90% or something in the next 50 years. That's just insane.

2. The underground was the first and imo still the best, i think london has some of the best public transport in the world.

3. summers and that didn't used to be this hot!!!

4. i just got my phone from tesco but yeah you can go there if u want.

5. It's good that there aren't any hidden charges, i suppose that's the ONE good thing about the EEC is that we don't have to pay the import taxes although i blame the EU for our VAT charges anyway.

6. haha yeah they probably do, to cater for our more sophisticated european tastes :p oj

7. motorists do have to stop at any zebra crossing, unlike what MFB said, they should even stop even if you haven't started crossing. If you're at the junction when the car gets there it's technically your right of way.

8. forturnately i tend to eat real food like chicken so i can't comment on beef paste :)

9. Pasties (not to be confused with Paistes!) are really very nice, they're also sold at most good supermarkets and petrol stations if you fancy one for dinner tonight ;).

10. As MFB says, they mostly come in aerosol cans. Dunno how to make it, look at a nigella or jamie oliver book or something lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdgdw View Post
The whole 'CanCon' thing (good name btw, yours or a real term?) seems to be utter BS. The UK don't have anything like it, although I would imagine that Canada are a bit more likely to be influenced by the US. Regardless though if good music is being made people will listen to it, if not a nation are being forced to listen to mediocre music. doesn't seem fair.
actually, that's not quite true. We do have a similar thing (in principal) on the BBC and ITV where they have to show something like 10 or 15% regional content like look north and the local politics show and stuff.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 07-07-2009, 04:36 PM
jonescrusher's Avatar
jonescrusher jonescrusher is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,190
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post

3. summers and that didn't used to be this hot!!!



7. motorists do have to stop at any zebra crossing, unlike what MFB said, they should even stop even if you haven't started crossing. If you're at the junction when the car gets there it's technically your right of way.

3. Yes they did

7. No - the driver is only legally obliged to stop if the pedestrian has already set foot off the curb
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 07-07-2009, 04:44 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
3. Yes they did

7. No - the driver is only legally obliged to stop if the pedestrian has already set foot off the curb
do you even live in the UK?
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 07-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
do you even live in the UK?
Yes, he does.

And trust me, after driving for three years, you know the law. You are only obliged to stop when the person has stepped onto the crossing - but the CONVENTION is that you stop when somebody is standing.

Quote:
i blame the EU for our VAT charges anyway.
The EU has nothing to do with our VAT charges. Absolutely nothing. It's a completely internal system, otherwise we wouldn't have been able to reduce the VAT charge last December. Your banging on about the EU seems uninformed at best, and dangerous at worst. You've been watching far too many UKIP party election broadcast specials.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 07-07-2009, 04:57 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
The EU has nothing to do with our VAT charges. Absolutely nothing. It's a completely internal system, otherwise we wouldn't have been able to reduce the VAT charge last December. Your banging on about the EU seems uninformed at best, and dangerous at worst. You've been watching far too many UKIP party election broadcast specials.
I don't even like UKIP but i hate the EU even more and maybe it's not VAT (although all the other EU countries charge high r8s of VAT too, coincidence?) but it is responsible for a lot of our taxes and laws and as they say "my enimies enemy is my friend".
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 07-07-2009, 04:59 PM
TFITTING942
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

From a self preservation standpiont, don't step off the curb in front of any moving vehicles.
By the way......I am the Stig....
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 07-07-2009, 11:57 PM
jazzgregg's Avatar
jazzgregg jazzgregg is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,076
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

The Cornish Pastys are amazing! I had one at London Bridge today, I could eat ten....yeah, they really know how to stuff things in other things here. Did I mention the most amazing sausages? I have to conciously look for green things or else I'd just eat those.

What's the VAT?

So for cream, I'm looking at 'single cream' or something, I think, right? I don't want to MKAE whipped cream, I want LIQUID CREAM'. I mean, I KNOW you can get it here, I just don't know where it is, or what it's called! Speaking of getting things, I have only one complaint so far: WHY DOES EVERYTHING CLOSE SO EARLY!?!??! Not just pubs, but everything!!!! I saw an ad the other day for a store 'open late', until 8 pm. When do you people BUY stuff?? lol


Beef paste? Well, it tastes of chicken, actually. It's quite gross, come on by and you can have the rest of mine!! I dunno what it's for but I'm making a concious effort not to buy anything I could buy in Canada (and for things like bread and butter, I'll only buy brands I've never heard of or that are from here). I'd never seen beef paste so for 50p, I thought: Hmm...I like beef....=) I assume I can buy this crab spread in the...er...spreads...isle? I like spready things made from things that were once really un-spready.

Speaking of (no pun intended) phones, the whole sim card thing here is new to us. My razr2 from Canada (that I was hoping to use) doesn't even HAVE one!! That you can buy a phone and just switch sim cards is very cool. Strange but cool. I need a new phone, the one I had to get here (that cost me 5 quid the day I got here) is so crap it isn't funny. Wait till you see it, Duncan.

Also, I'm not terribly quick on the 24 hr clock thing either.....

GB
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 07-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

VAT = Value Added Tax. Sales tax.

Five quid? Oh Christ - that phone will be interesting. You can more or less swap cards in and out of phones, as long as they're not locked to networks. Single cream is available at all good supermarkets. Trust me, it's there. Look for Sainsbury's - they'll have it.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 07-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
although all the other EU countries charge high r8s of VAT too, coincidence?
.

Economic sense. Not coincidence, but certainly not collaboration.

What is your beef with the EU? So far you've offered absolutely no arguments, just statements that you hate it.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 07-08-2009, 04:23 AM
jonescrusher's Avatar
jonescrusher jonescrusher is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,190
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
do you even live in the UK?
In the South - the good bit. I guess the 'heatwave' last week must've been quite a revelation for you Northerners ;)
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 07-08-2009, 04:26 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
In the South - the good bit. I guess the 'heatwave' last week must've been quite a revelation for you Northerners ;)
As someone who spends most of his time up North, I can say it was a shock. The 4PM barefoot storm-walking was a good cure.

Incidentally, I know the Rzr has a SIM card on the UK version. Mind if I take a look and see if it can be fitted?
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 07-08-2009, 11:22 AM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
.

Economic sense. Not coincidence, but certainly not collaboration.

What is your beef with the EU? So far you've offered absolutely no arguments, just statements that you hate it.
I just don't like the fact that we have to pay copius amounts of money just so that we can be part of a silly little club that makes up all of our laws for us. Why can't we just run our own country? It's not as if we're even part of mainland europe, we still need a passport to travel over there.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 07-08-2009, 11:33 AM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
In the South - the good bit. I guess the 'heatwave' last week must've been quite a revelation for you Northerners ;)
Oh here we go again...
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 07-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
I just don't like the fact that we have to pay copius amounts of money just so that we can be part of a silly little club that makes up all of our laws for us. Why can't we just run our own country? It's not as if we're even part of mainland europe, we still need a passport to travel over there.
So which laws have they made for us, Eddie?
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 07-08-2009, 04:16 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
So which laws have they made for us, Eddie?
Well they haven't exactly MADE the laws but the point is they might as well have done, like all this health and safety bs. I know how to use a ladder!!! Anyway what the hell is this? Question time? I'm allowed to not like the EU if i want, tyvm.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 07-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Well they haven't exactly MADE the laws but the point is they might as well have done, like all this health and safety bs. I know how to use a ladder!!! Anyway what the hell is this? Question time? I'm allowed to not like the EU if i want, tyvm.
If you're going to rant and complain about something, have a basis for it. I won't say I hate the politics of Ghana, because I know nothing about it. Likewise, it seems you actually know very little about the EU.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 PM
freebirdgdw's Avatar
freebirdgdw freebirdgdw is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 642
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
actually, that's not quite true. We do have a similar thing (in principal) on the BBC and ITV where they have to show something like 10 or 15% regional content like look north and the local politics show and stuff.
Yea, I know, I study TV and radio at uni. They have to fulfill things like so much religion programming, education etc. But with the digital switch over a lot of this will probably be going.
__________________
KIT
COVERS
BAND
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 07-08-2009, 08:29 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
If you're going to rant and complain about something, have a basis for it. I won't say I hate the politics of Ghana, because I know nothing about it. Likewise, it seems you actually know very little about the EU.
That's a terrible example because the politics of Ghana has very little to do with me. What goes on in the EU is paid for by me and you as taxpayers and it affects many aspects of our everyday lives so that's why i think i'm allowed to have an opinion on it, regardless of what you might think i do or do not know about the subject.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 07-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
That's a terrible example because the politics of Ghana has very little to do with me. What goes on in the EU is paid for by me and you as taxpayers and it affects many aspects of our everyday lives so that's why i think i'm allowed to have an opinion on it, regardless of what you might think i do or do not know about the subject.
You are entitled to an opinion, but all opinions should be justified. So far I've seen no justification other than uninformed ranting.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 07-08-2009, 08:52 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
You are entitled to an opinion, but all opinions should be justified. So far I've seen no justification other than uninformed ranting.
Do you want to see any justification? I already said my reasons didn't i, but you seem to still think i know nothing about it.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 07-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Do you want to see any justification? I already said my reasons didn't i, but you seem to still think i know nothing about it.
Because I've seen no fact, no basis and absolutely no specific knowledge. Just 'oh, I don't like the EU - they make our laws' (which they don't, and I called you on).

The worst thing about this exchange is that people forming opinions on hearsay (which is essentially what your opinion amounts to) is the very reason people vote for the BNP - who we both dislike - get votes. Uninformed opinions. Sure, a few people vote for them because they believe the rubbish they spout, but the vast majority just haven't done their research. The same is true of you.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 07-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Pavlos's Avatar
Pavlos Pavlos is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 475
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Can you guys stop arguing about the EU? Don't you know it's just one phase of implementing a new world order involving The Queen, the Vatican, the Gettys, the Rothschilds, and Colonel Sanders who form a group known as the Pentavirate?
__________________
My Sonor-Paiste Setup Mania

Look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 07-08-2009, 10:04 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Because I've seen no fact, no basis and absolutely no specific knowledge. Just 'oh, I don't like the EU - they make our laws' (which they don't, and I called you on).

The worst thing about this exchange is that people forming opinions on hearsay (which is essentially what your opinion amounts to) is the very reason people vote for the BNP - who we both dislike - get votes. Uninformed opinions. Sure, a few people vote for them because they believe the rubbish they spout, but the vast majority just haven't done their research. The same is true of you.
Hang on just a minute mate, i'm not saying we should deport/murder all non-whites. I just think we should stop wasting our time in the EU. It just doesn't work and it needs to be changed.

If we want to start talking about laws being formed on hearsay and improper information then what about the fact that the EU wants to force all the farmers to not use any sort of GM crops or fertilizers because of people who don't understand how science works. This means that we'll probably end up with a food shortage not too long from now.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 07-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Pavlos's Avatar
Pavlos Pavlos is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 475
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

And see how the EU affects Canada?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/...jean-seal.html
__________________
My Sonor-Paiste Setup Mania

Look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 07-09-2009, 02:09 AM
freebirdgdw's Avatar
freebirdgdw freebirdgdw is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 642
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
Can you guys stop arguing about the EU? Don't you know it's just one phase of implementing a new world order involving The Queen, the Vatican, the Gettys, the Rothschilds, and Colonel Sanders who form a group known as the Pentavirate?
Ronald Macdonald wanted to join but the Colonel wasn't having any of it. Ron hit the bottle hard...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/odd/ronald.asp
__________________
KIT
COVERS
BAND
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 07-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Hang on just a minute mate, i'm not saying we should deport/murder all non-whites. I just think we should stop wasting our time in the EU. It just doesn't work and it needs to be changed.
I never said you did, but the opinion forming process is the same. Lack of information - uninformed opinion - potential for dodgy parties to get through. Plus to change something you have to be involved with it.

Quote:
...what about the fact that the EU wants to force all the farmers to not use any sort of GM crops or fertilizers because of people who don't understand how science works. This means that we'll probably end up with a food shortage not too long from now.
That's more like it. An actual example.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 07-09-2009, 11:21 PM
what the funk of it's Avatar
what the funk of it what the funk of it is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 156
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Sorry for the late response. Back to CanCon - if anyone is still interested...

You all make an excellent point in regards to the fact that there's a lot of lame Canadian music being put on the air just to fill this 30% quota. However, It's my opinion that radio is downright polluted with crap regardless of where the music came from in the first place.

Obviously this is a matter of personal taste but once you've sifted through it all, you're likely to come across some excellent bands (who may not have gotten the proper exposure without CanCon). Here's a few of my favourites:

I Mother Earth
Our Lady Peace
Matthew Good Band

**Please take this time to ridicule me for being a total Alt.Rock kid.**

CanCon helps the Canadian Musician by providing job opportunities with Canadian acts - sessions, tours - there's no question.

It also helps fuel our economy. Say Alexisonfire needs to shoot a new video for MuchMusic. Suddenly an entire film crew, actors, caterers, hairdressers are all in buisiness and getting paid.

How about when someone throws a festival. Rather than fishing for an international supergroup to headline, oftentimes they will opt for the local stars. (Of coarse this isn't always the case - anyone remember the fiasco at V-fest last year? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvLLQ8UnCqM )
These guys are available, way easier to obtain and thanks to CanCon, have a fanbase capable of selling out the joint. The festival is a success! T-shirts and CDs are sold, Pizza Pizza is eaten, Molson Candian is excessively consumed even at the outrageous price of 9 dollars a tallcan. Best of all, everyone has an awesome time singing and dancing along to thier favourite songs whether it's The Boss Is Coming, Bobcaygeon, Life Is A Highway or even American Woman.

Tell me again why you think this law is so stupid. You don't like Kim Mitchell? Fine, go for a soda next time Patio Lanterns comes on. CanCon is great because it gives us a better chace at living the dream - playing the big stage. After all, isn't that dream the reason why most of us took up the drums in the first place?
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 07-09-2009, 11:35 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
Can you guys stop arguing about the EU? Don't you know it's just one phase of implementing a new world order involving The Queen, the Vatican, the Gettys, the Rothschilds, and Colonel Sanders who form a group known as the Pentavirate?
"Why the colonel, dad?"

"Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it nightly ya SMARTASS!"
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 04-27-2010, 10:16 AM
jazzgregg's Avatar
jazzgregg jazzgregg is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,076
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Normally I wouldn't do this (make a statement of returning here) but since I started this thread, I figured I might as well say so, since I abandoned my own thread...

CanCon is stupid. It only benifits one kind of music (though I always liked Our Lady Peace) and more often than not it's the ones who don't need it. Like Anne Murray. Or Rush (ugh)*. CanCon helps the Canadian ALT ROCK musician, that sounds a certain way. More often than not that certain way is TERRIBLE. Or it's Burton Cumings. It's like SOCAN, it does nothing for you unless you're already partially famous (not I did not say 'good') If a band is good enough (to the people, not skill wise), they will get noticed. Any of you Canadians know Big Sugar? How famous did they get? Not very, but they should have, they are fantastic and along with the Headstones (how much did CanCon help them?) are my 2 favourite Canadian bands. But they did not sound like something 'the people' would latch on to, so therefore, minimal support. Hugh Dillion has said as much as has Gordie Johnson. Any success they had, they MADE.

In theory, CanCon (it's an actual term, yeah:) is good, but in theory, so is communism. Problem is that in the end, only one group of people benifit and if you are 'like them', you don't. It might give you a CHANCE of living the dream, it might give you hope, but unless you sound like the others, forget it. If you do, well done and good luck.

Kim Mitchell? Ha ha, that's funny. I just couldn't deal with that guy. Doesn't mean I don't KNOW all these songs (thanks to ConCan), I just hate them.

CanCon is the musical manifestation of Canada's fear of becoming American.


Uh, so anyway,

GB




*One of the best things about living here, hardly anyone knows them=)
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 04-27-2010, 11:45 AM
WhereIsTheOne?! WhereIsTheOne?! is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

On the other hand, it can be hard for bands to break into any kind of public airplay without a little extra push from the commercial sector. CanCon could provide that opportunity - but like you say, if it's used in the 'wrong' way then it provides no service whatsoever.

How many of you have heard of Merzbow? There might be one, or maybe two hands go up. Believe me when I say he is one of the most influential and important musicians of the last fifty years - but does he get airplay? No. Why? Because he's a noise musician. Check out the album Frog+ for some of his slightly more recent output, or the piece 'Birds and Warhorse'. In the academic field, however, he is referenced as entire chapters of books ('Noise/Music: A History' by Paul Hegarty has a whole chapter on him). Either way, the fact that he doesn't get any kind of airplay honestly doesn't matter. Why? Because his music is good enough anyway to make the kind of statement he wants to make.

Should he have airplay, however? Well, yes. In part of an environment with a public remit, challenging artists really should have airtime. Why is it that outlets constantly pander to the lowest common denominator, forced pop acts? I can't tell the difference between some of the music ten years ago and some of the music now - and I was brought up in the 1990's, so I should be able to! CanCon serves only the backward-looking market and in no way (that I can see) serves to progress music, or even to serve music; just the owners of commercial stations who have people listen in because they 'feel they should listen to Canadian music' - even if it's total rubbish.

So, why not challenge? Because they're concerned about losing advertising revenue. It doesn't serve music at all. The solution? Ignore the radio and TV completely and go and find other methods to listen. I go into Oxfam on a weekly basis and buy Vinyl because it gives me something to listen to and to branch out into (as well as great material for acousmatic experiments), I check out free downloads on bleep.com and I go trawling through Amazon for interesting-sounding acts.

Oh, and I take up new instruments. That gives me a totally different perspective on listening. I suggest many of you stop being so drummer-centric.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 04-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Frost's Avatar
Frost Frost is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 933
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Never been to Canada or England, perhaps you can move to Australia so I can offer an opinion?
__________________
A disquiet mind at therapy with the music.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 PM
WhereIsTheOne?! WhereIsTheOne?! is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6
Default Re: This is not a goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Never been to Canada or England, perhaps you can move to Australia so I can offer an opinion?
The question is whether or not we'd want it.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com