DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 07-06-2009, 09:45 PM

Default R.I.P Micheal Jackson

I just a thread to pay our respects to a legend and a true brilliant musician, there is some rumours of his child abuse etc but everyone is entitled to there opinion but there is no argument that he was a great musician !

Thanks,
Old 07-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: R.I.P Micheal Jackson

This says it all. The MUSIC The CONTRIBUTION:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT-H5eSQ-1U

R.I.P.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Administrator

There was another thread that evidently got out of hand and I suppose was deleted.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Pioneer Member

I knew that thread was as good as gone the minute I saw it. I'm guessing this one will meet the same end eventually. Whatever, I think I'm kind of getting over the whole story anyway. If anything, his death has left me with a few days worth of great songs stuck in my head and a craving for some high-potency pain-killers.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:55 PM

He was a great musician. Any vocal teacher, composer, arranger or musician would tell that. He was extremely good dancer; yes, even compared to full-time proffesionals. And he was a composer- almost every hit he sung was his own composition and/or production.

R.I.P.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:45 AM

Not saying he didn't have musical talent, he obviously did. But, did he actually play any instruments? Or was it just singing and dancing? I can't ever remember seeing him play anything.

Look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:55 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
Not saying he didn't have musical talent, he obviously did. But, did he actually play any instruments? Or was it just singing and dancing? I can't ever remember seeing him play anything.
Dude the voice IS an instrument!
Old 07-08-2009, 04:15 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

I believe he was able to play a number of instruments to at least a functional degree - piano, drums - for writing purposes. If he didn't have a natural ability on the drums, i'm a monkey's uncle.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:26 AM
Platinum Member

I remember once performing with a symphony orchestra on tour and the first night the singers were told that this bus was for musicians and the other for everyone else. Of course, all the singers had a fit since they were not on the musicians bus.

The bang you over the head with all this Michael Jackson stuff about how he was all that. But with all the hoopla and endless publicizing of Michael Jackson and people saying that he was the best ever and such a pioneer don't forget how great of a performer, songwriter, dancer, singer and publicity mogul he really was. People will be talking about the music and the controversy and what it all meant for a very long time.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:58 AM

Not only will he be remembered for his music and dancing, but look what he did for Africa and places/people who needed help.

I watched the ceremony this afternoon on television. Brooke Shields made me truly believe he was a magnificent person, just the way she emotionally spoke about him.

Al Sharpton's quote was my favorite of the day, and actually one of the better quotes i've ever heard. He said to Michael's children, "Wasn't nothin' strange about your daddy... What was strange was what he had to deal with."

I just love it because it's so true.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:22 PM
"Uncle Larry"

He was a musical force on par w/ any of the greats you can name. That man really knew how to convey an emotion. I hope he is at peace finally, he gave us so much.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Time
Posted Wed Jul 8, 2009 11:47am PDT by Paul Grein in Chart Watch

Michael Jackson has three of the five best-selling albums in the U.S. for the second week in a row. Number Ones sold 339,000 copies this week and would have held at #1 on The Billboard 200 if catalog albums were eligible to compete on that chart. (The 2003 compilation sold a little more than twice as many copies this week as NOW 31, the album that holds the #1 spot.) Thriller sold 187,000 copies and would have jumped from #3 to #2 if catalog albums were invited to the party. The Essential Michael Jackson sold 125,000 copies and would have dropped from #2 to #5. Jackson's catalog of solo albums sold 800,000 copies this week, up from 422,000 copies last week.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member

Imagine having a singer fronting your band who had his singing and dancing abilities, his funkiness, his songwriting, choreography and vision.

As Larry said, MJ was a musical force; he was at least as good a stage performer as any before or since. It's a shame that only now they are showing all those awesome live performances on TV. It's ironic that people are buying his music in droves now, which would have bailed him out of his financial problems that drove him to organise some major tours when he was clearly too unwell to do and it seems the pressure was a contributing factor is his death.

I suspect his health was such that his best work was behind him and I also suspect that, if he'd carried, he still would have been capable of wowing the crowds and CD buyers.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:48 PM
nhzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabour Amtik View Post
Not only will he be remembered for his music and dancing, but look what he did for Africa and places/people who needed help.

I watched the ceremony this afternoon on television. Brooke Shields made me truly believe he was a magnificent person, just the way she emotionally spoke about him.

Al Sharpton's quote was my favorite of the day, and actually one of the better quotes i've ever heard. He said to Michael's children, "Wasn't nothin' strange about your daddy... What was strange was what he had to deal with."

I just love it because it's so true.

Nothing strange about your daddy?? Yeah I guess the truth could hurt eh, Kinda disturbing that you think it was so true though? If Al Sharpton told you that hanging your baby out of a window was good exercise for the baby would you believe him?
Old 07-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

The bad news is that you've spelt "Michael" wrong. And i should know, it's one of my middle names lol.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 07-10-2009, 08:00 PM

I used to sing "Rockin' Robin" on the playground, trying to impress the girls.

I also used to rollerskate to "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough"
Old 07-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
And the point is? He was a vocalist, like Robert Plant, Ian Gillan, Jim Morrisson. Their voice is their musical instrument.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:34 AM

I know he sang great. I'm just curious as to whether he played any other instruments or not. Thanks though, for giving me examples of other vocalists. Not sure I knew what that was otherwise.

Look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
I know he sang great. I'm just curious as to whether he played any other instruments or not. Thanks though, for giving me examples of other vocalists. Not sure I knew what that was otherwise.
He played congas in Jackson 5 at the very beggining. Also he had basic knowledge of piano.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abe View Post
He played congas in Jackson 5 at the very beggining. Also he had basic knowledge of piano.
As a songwriter, he had to have had at least a basic working knowledge of theory and composition. Jackson also had an amazing talent for arranging, for dance, for a bunch of other aspects of entertainment.

Usually, the greatest songwriters aren't virtuosic musicians, or even very good musicians. They leave it to musicians who have devoted their lives to mastering particular instruments to render their songs.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyBait911 View Post
I just a thread to pay our respects to a legend and a true brilliant musician, there is some rumours of his child abuse etc but everyone is entitled to there opinion but there is no argument that he was a great musician !

Thanks,
These "rumors" were stated in open court. Jackson's former security guard testified he saw Jackson performing sexual acts on children; other people testified to similar stories. It is not an opinion that people swore, under penalty of perjury, that they saw this. I choose to believe these people, but the jury believed differently. Jackson spent many millions of dollars to silence other people, who I believe were victims.

Having said that, I think Jackson was the greatest entertainer that ever lived. He also happened to be a very, very messed-up individual. Even his death by drug overdose is a very screwed up way to die.

There is great temptation to honor famous people as flawless. They're just like any of us, sometimes better and sometimes worse. People should be remembered in their entirety, whether living or dead.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
There is great temptation to honor famous people as flawless. They're just like any of us, sometimes better and sometimes worse. People should be remembered in their entirety, whether living or dead.

I don't think that you can get a true understanding of Jackson without understanding all of the controversy. Even taking his lyrics like "Man in the Mirror" about a guy who looks in the mirror and doesn't like what he sees or a teenager out dating a girl who transforms into something ugly before her eyes, like Jackson seemed to do before our eyes. He saw the need for healing children as an act of healing the world because he himself was destroyed by the abuse of his childhood. He wrote Black and White as he changed his skin color because of his skin condition.

He was a megalomaniac who fed on the power he got in the world and then complained about it when it overpowered him. He tried to overcome the conventions of common decency like sleeping and showering with children as though it were all innocent and was destroyed by it. It seems to speak to the whole myth of radicalism in rock culture: sex, drugs and rock and roll. There is a reason why the convention are there.

At the same time he seemed like such a kind gentle soul naive and incapable of realizing the dangers of dangling a child over a balcony. He was probably the most famous man who ever lived and succumbed to those pressures. This is the world that Andy Warhol knew, a world governed by fame and celebrity, where the only thing that matters is what sells. Where people devoid of any sense of common decency are upheld as gods and pop icons. Ozzy, Slash, Jimmy Page had an affair with a fourteen year old girl, Madonna humping the stage. It becomes about the controversy and in the end it is hard to separate fact from fiction, controversy from reality, or the artist's life from his art. When it comes to knowing that world, Michael Jackson mastered it, and his life points out the fallacies of it as well. In the end, don't expect me to feel sorry for him or anyone when they get what they deserve. But he is dead now and should be forgiven for his transgressions and accepted for all that he gave or tried to give to the world. In the end, there was a lot more good than there was bad.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
I don't think that you can get a true understanding of Jackson without understanding all of the controversy. Even taking his lyrics like "Man in the Mirror" about a guy who looks in the mirror and doesn't like what he sees or a teenager out dating a girl who transforms into something ugly before her eyes, like Jackson seemed to do before our eyes. He saw the need for healing children as an act of healing the world because he himself was destroyed by the abuse of his childhood. He wrote Black and White as he changed his skin color because of his skin condition.

He was a megalomaniac who fed on the power he got in the world and then complained about it when it overpowered him. He tried to overcome the conventions of common decency like sleeping and showering with children as though it were all innocent and was destroyed by it. It seems to speak to the whole myth of radicalism in rock culture: sex, drugs and rock and roll. There is a reason why the convention are there.

At the same time he seemed like such a kind gentle soul naive and incapable of realizing the dangers of dangling a child over a balcony. He was probably the most famous man who ever lived and succumbed to those pressures. This is the world that Andy Warhol knew, a world governed by fame and celebrity, where the only thing that matters is what sells. Where people devoid of any sense of common decency are upheld as gods and pop icons. Ozzy, Slash, Jimmy Page had an affair with a fourteen year old girl, Madonna humping the stage. It becomes about the controversy and in the end it is hard to separate fact from fiction, controversy from reality, or the artist's life from his art. When it comes to knowing that world, Michael Jackson mastered it, and his life points out the fallacies of it as well. In the end, don't expect me to feel sorry for him or anyone when they get what they deserve. But he is dead now and should be forgiven for his transgressions and accepted for all that he gave or tried to give to the world. In the end, there was a lot more good than there was bad.
Very valid and well-stated analysis.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

I started wondering if MJ had multiple personality disorder after an interview where he was asked about his plastic surgery. His denials were so vehement it was as though he believed it. I found it strange. If he had any sense of reality surely he would have known that his denials were absurd.

Still Jacko on stage and in the studio seemed to be a very different beast to the person you'd see interviewed or who did so many bizarre and allegedly committed grave wrongs. His daughter's tearful comments at his funeral didn't gel with his public persona either. A confusing character, all round.

So I'm glad to just enjoy the songs and see the vids of his amazingly funky live performances without inviting his impressive array of disorders into my living room :)
Old 07-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

It is interesting to listen to some of the "professionals" who comment on MJ's various disorders. One specialist in body dysmorphic disorder said that the reason Michael lied about his plastic surgery, or "could lie," is because for him they surgeries were not cosmetic. They were a necessary medical procedure and not 'elective' surgery. If it weren't for MJ, we wouldn't even know what body dysmorphic disorder is. Because of MJ, we are all living room analysts. :)
Old 07-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

My impression in the interview is that he was flatly denying having any surgery, there with his weird turned-up skinny nose and cleft chin. Accelerated evolution? Did he blow half his nostrils off during a bad cold?

Ken, I'll have you know I was a living room analyst long before MJ! (and I already knew about BDD, which they claim is the problem with anorexia). You can blame my mother for that, who was a writer and so, unsurprisingly, also an enthusiastic LRA and she passed her LRA "chops" down the line :)

Whatever, MJ was one messed up puppy, following in the long tradition of messed up stars - Elvis, Janis, Brian Wilson, Syd Barrett, Jim Gordon, Phil Spector, Jaco, Amy Winehouse, Britney ... there's a lotta talent in that list.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post

great post.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:56 PM

wow...a thread called "rip michael jackson" and everyone is talking about all his faults. He was brilliant, very talented person, almost bigger than life...i'll miss 'em. we are musicians. we are all a bit f'd up arent we?
Old 07-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson
wow...a thread called "rip michael jackson" and everyone is talking about all his faults
Not just his faults. There were a few facets to that boy and he's not the first person to be both brilliant and crazy. As with many, for me Thriller period was the high point - Thriller, Beat It, Billie Jean, Wanna Be Startin Something - too funky!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Platinum Member

Just came across this video - not only does it unravel one of MJ's great mysteries, he did some fabulous beatboxing - a very funky guy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BKrKjEK8LU