DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-01-2009, 12:08 AM

Default Evans Uno Drumheads

Hi guys

I went to my local music shop today asking about some evans heads, especially G2's and the salesperson told me about the new Evans Uno G2 heads. Anybody knows if its any good? It cheaper the the normal G2's but is it worse?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Evans Uno Drumheads

I don't see them on their web page.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:29 AM

Have a look here:

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EvansN...Id=2034&Id=286
Old 07-01-2009, 12:34 AM
Administrator

The NAMM Show, Anaheim, CA (January 15-18, 2009) - Booth #4834 - Evans Drumheads announces a new line of drumheads for select international markets called Uno by Evans. The new UNO series consists of the G1 Clear, G Plus Clear, G Plus Coated, and G2 Clear tom heads, Genera and HD snare heads, the Hazy 300 Snare Side, and EQ4 Clear and EQ Black bass heads.

Despite their lower price, relative to the Evans USA-made product, the UNO series drumheads are made with Evansí hallmark consistency and produce a sound quality that will please even the most discerning ears. The line features the same films as used in Evans' USA-made product, but in a high quality crimp-secured collar. Each drumhead comes in its own distinctive anti-static packaging, with color-coded label and tuning instructions. UNO by Evans was designed to target emerging and economically challenged markets where Evans' USA-made product is too costly for the average player.

It seems to say for select International markets, and relative to the USA-made product, and to target emerging and economically challenged markets. so I'm not sure they will be available in the States.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:36 AM

Okay, that makes sense, couldn't find anything on drummerworld! I live in Africa, so that's why its available to me
Old 07-01-2009, 01:58 AM
Administrator

Well if you find them and decide to try them let us know what you think please. thanks.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:39 AM

If these are anything like the Remo Encore line of heads, which is what they are copying, they will be JUNK!

Remo Encore came in Pinstripe, Coated Ambassador, Ebony Ambassador and PS3 styles. They used a crimp design and claimed to use the quality Dupont mylar, which I highly doubt. These heads lacked any character their real Weatherking counterparts had. They lacked attack, tuning range, pure overtones, etc... JUNKY JUNKY feeling and sounding drum heads.

Don't let the small price tag fool you. Buy quality heads you know and trust.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:43 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

DW use crimped Remo heads as their stock line and hear nothing but good things.

Remo are, however, known for having quality control issues which Evans are not (at least now). I would be curious to know how these Evans heads work out.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:58 PM

I have some older Remo Pinstripe heads that have the word "Crimplock" stamped on them. Sounds like Evans is using a similar concept.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
DW use crimped Remo heads as their stock line and hear nothing but good things.

Remo are, however, known for having quality control issues which Evans are not (at least now). I would be curious to know how these Evans heads work out.
There is a difference between the Remo Encore or OEM heads that are crimped and the weatherking crimplock heads for marching drums. I use Evans, but I used Remo for 16 years with one or two problems with the product. That is a good record.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Based on what I'm hearing, Remo two-ply heads have taken a dive. I play coated Ambassadors - single ply? No issues.

Just because the Evans head are a cheaper line does not necessarily meant the quality will take a dive. Time will tell.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Silver Member

I take it we're going to be seeing these on low end kits now so that manufactures can say 'comes with evans heads' like they do with those cheap remo ones.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdgdw View Post
I take it we're going to be seeing these on low end kits now so that manufactures can say 'comes with evans heads' like they do with those cheap remo ones.
Tama already does that. They come stock with Evans 250 heads, which are just cheap G1's.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:08 PM
TheArchitect

Quote:
Based on what I'm hearing, Remo two-ply heads have taken a dive. I play coated Ambassadors - single ply? No issues.

Just because the Evans head are a cheaper line does not necessarily meant the quality will take a dive. Time will tell.
Based on what your hearing? How about what you know? Repeating hearsay doesn't really mean much.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Based on what your hearing? How about what you know? Repeating hearsay doesn't really mean much.
Well artists changing endorsement deals after twenty years specifically because of quality issues speaks some volumes, correct?
Old 07-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

There's monetary incentive for manufactures to get away from resin-set drumheads. Crimp lock is the way to go. The inconsistencies that come from the resin mixture, how it sets, interacts with the hoops, ages etc. Of the 4 components that make up a (resin set) drumhead, they spend the most $ on resin. Plus resin is very toxic to workers, its messy, heavy to ship, lots of negatives.

Ludwig's been crimping heads a long time, along with some others. The biggest advancements in modern drum sounds (still unrealized) are going to come from drumheads. If drumhead manufactures really 'get down' on r&d they could see their profits soar.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:24 PM
TheArchitect

Quote:
Well artists changing endorsement deals after twenty years specifically because of quality issues speaks some volumes, correct?
One person doing anything doesn't really mean much. I can find you 40 guys who have had the opposite experience. Now answer the question. Have you experienced these problems?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
One person doing anything doesn't really mean much. I can find you 40 guys who have had the opposite experience. Now answer the question. Have you experienced these problems?
Yes I have. Coating wearing off and dead heads, when I bought Emperors a while ago. Never had those problems with Evans, but didn't like the tone as much.

Incidentally, do you ever get any information from the news without first seeing it yourself? A lot of the rubbish media I see amounts purely to hearsay.