DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-25-2009, 05:40 PM

Default Big problems wih snare buzz - has anyone tried Puresound equalizer snares?

Hi - anyone got ideas for cutting down snare buzz? THANKS.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Big problems wih snare buzz - has anyone tried Puresound equalizer snares?

I've got a set of of the pure sound wires, can't complain. Is the buzz coming from the snare itself, or is it sympathetic buzzing from hitting a tom?
Old 06-25-2009, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Big problems wih snare buzz - has anyone tried Puresound equalizer snares?

The buzz is actually sympathetic buzz from the band, mainly the bass guitar ... I've got the toms tuned far enough away that the buzz from the other drums is minimal.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

Maybe try a moon gel pad on the reso side of your snare head. Place it in the middle about an inch or so away from the wires. Or maybe tell your bass player to angle his amp slightly.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

The equalizers do not, generally speaking, reduce sympathetic snare buzz.

What will reduce overall snare buzz is to use snare wires with fewer strands. See here and here.

I have switched all my snares to 16-strand wires and can report that this is effective. A nice plus is that you get more tone from the drum.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
The equalizers do not, generally speaking, reduce sympathetic snare buzz.

What will reduce overall snare buzz is to use snare wires with fewer strands. See here and here.

I have switched all my snares to 16-strand wires and can report that this is effective. A nice plus is that you get more tone from the drum.
Nice tip, I recall hearing about this a while back. Although you may want to try with an old set of wires before you start snipping wires off of a new set.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

The only way to get of snare buzz is to tune the snare significantly higher than the rest of the drums, and out of the frequency range of the guitar amps.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

It could also be a tuning thing as well. I've only been drumming for several months now, and I try to tune my set at least once a week. I've always had a buzzing snare, so I place the moon gel on the reso head. However a few weeks ago I was going through and tuning my heads and I got them tuned to where it sounded well. I put the drum in their respective place and began playing and noticed the my buzzing snare was no, longer an issue. However about a week ago I was tuning them again and the buzzing returned.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbm2112 View Post
The buzz is actually sympathetic buzz from the band, mainly the bass guitar ... I've got the toms tuned far enough away that the buzz from the other drums is minimal.
Try having he bass amp placed ahead of your snare, not behind it, and if possible at least 3' to the side.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:50 PM

In my band experience, it's not just bassist, guitarist set off my snare also.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Guitars can hit low notes too, so any/all amplified instruments should be placed ahead of the snare drum to 'lessen the effect' of sympathetic vibration on the snare wires. Experiment with placement of amps.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingStone000 View Post
Nice tip, I recall hearing about this a while back. Although you may want to try with an old set of wires before you start snipping wires off of a new set.
Puresound sells 16-strand snare wires, no snipping necessary.

They used to sell 14s, too, but alas don't anymore.

Most drummers don't realize that the 20-strand "standard" is a relatively recent thing, and that many, many classic snares we all love originally came with 12, 14, or 16.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
Puresound sells 16-strand snare wires, no snipping necessary.

They used to sell 14s, too, but alas don't anymore.

Most drummers don't realize that the 20-strand "standard" is a relatively recent thing, and that many, many classic snares we all love originally came with 12, 14, or 16.
Yeah I've seen some giant wire sets and think to myself unless you're going for a specific sound (particularly in recording) something like that would make you snare stand awful. But that's just me.