DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-13-2009, 01:58 PM

Default Wireless drum trigger???

Does anyone make a wireless electronic drum system?
Old 05-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Wireless drum trigger???

I'd be very interested in that... I friggin' hate wires.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:29 PM

I know what you mean- but the nearest thing I ever saw- was at a gig, when I went to see a rock band....The drummer was no place to be seen- and came in from outside tapping on pads on his chest made into an old bus conducters ticket machine! He had a rucksack on his back and a roland brain with a shure wirles rig, he adapted the ticket machine and placed rubber pad triggers in it---way so cool to watch him play with his fingers on the pad....He was damn good at it also. I spoke to him and asked him why--he told me because he could being an engineer and that he had a bad spinal problem and could not sit at a kit for long!

So it you were to fab this it may be you can only take the line outs to a wirless sender, but it would be mono unless you used two! one for each channel.....now there is an idea!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:03 PM

The wireless MIDI interface would interace after the brain, not between the brain and the triggers.

If this is for a kit, don't bother. If this is for rigging up a frame drum and walking about a stage or something though, you could try and see if a guitar wireless system might work. All you're really trying to do is get the piezo pulse from point a to point b. I'm thinking guitar because the system is built to recieve the small signals from the pickups, which *might* be in the same kinfof output range as the trigger piezo. But, I have absolutely ZERO clue; I'm just thinking out loud.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Pioneer Member

Pretty sure this is another marketing thread... Nicely played though, I must admit.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:53 PM

From sprit's description I was probably the drummer he saw playing in the rock band with the keypad and ruck sack. I played that because after 10 years of playing acoustic drums my left wrist developed a problem whereby I could no longer play power strokes constantly on the snare. I built my last finger drumkit in 2006 and that one does away with the rucksack so I simply strap on the keypad just like a guitarist straps on a guitar.......cool !! I transmit all the information about which key I hit and the velocity back to a receiver I built which interfaces to a Roland TD10 module. I connect the TD10 to a couple of Mackie SRM450's so everybody can hear it.

It's a totally different experience playing drums with a band this way and great to stand out in front of the band you are actually playing with and get to hear how it all sounds. The trouble is that you are not thrashing about working up a sweat and generally rockin' out. It is more a thinking drummers style of playing as you have to rock out in your head yet be very precise with where you put your fingers on the keypad. Also I never felt that any drummers who came to see the band ever took me seriously or even wanted to play that way and most bands were a bit like "oh so you don't play proper drums then?" and I could tell they were old school and not into it. So I gave it up and went back to the acoustic kit but use my left foot to trigger a snare sound and operate a lever with my left hand to open/close the hi-hat. Far more enjoyable once you get your head round the concept.

My next mission is to convert a wired electronic kit like a TD20 into a cordless set up so that you simply put the pads on the rack and it's ready to play without plugging loads of leads in. Trouble is you've then got to lug lots of speakers about to amplify it all and spread the sound at the gig so perhaps it's not worth the bother. Does anybody have any experience/advice about amplifying electronic drums when used in a pub/club environment such that the sound spreads just like an acoustic kit? When I used my finger drumkit the bass was lacking and the sound was a bit directional even with the Mackies.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:24 PM

Dude! is it you mate- I am the couloured guys who often spoke to you- slightly drunk most of the time as. I only went to the six bells on boys nights out!
Keep in touch mate--see....I did remember you and your set up fairly well thorough the haze of alcohol!