DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-28-2009, 09:02 PM

Default Adjusting my Elims

I've had my eliminators for a couple of years now and I usually re adjust them every 6 months or so. I've been switching between the red cams and blue cams, adjusting spring tension, pedal height, beater height/angle, ect. I just can't seem to find that perfect feeling for me. I always seem to have trouble with something.

Last night I was at a friends house and he recently bought his first kit and he wanted help setting it up. He bought a cheap PDP pedal to start with and I messing around with the very limited adjustments and I noticed some things. First off, my Elims were better in every way and I missed them while playing. Second, I noticed that I could reach higher speeds, and had more control at high speeds because of how heavy the pedal was. I could use my ankles and use it like a pendulum to play faster than I thought I could.

However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get this feeling on my Elims. I'm trying to make them just heavy enough so that I can get that same feeling, but keep them light enough for my taste. What adjustments should I mess with the most? Spring tension, cams, or what? I'm really having trouble here, any help is appreciated.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Adjusting my Elims

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDrummin View Post
I've had my eliminators for a couple of years now and I usually re adjust them every 6 months or so. I've been switching between the red cams and blue cams, adjusting spring tension, pedal height, beater height/angle, ect. I just can't seem to find that perfect feeling for me. I always seem to have trouble with something.

Last night I was at a friends house and he recently bought his first kit and he wanted help setting it up. He bought a cheap PDP pedal to start with and I messing around with the very limited adjustments and I noticed some things. First off, my Elims were better in every way and I missed them while playing. Second, I noticed that I could reach higher speeds, and had more control at high speeds because of how heavy the pedal was. I could use my ankles and use it like a pendulum to play faster than I thought I could.

However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get this feeling on my Elims. I'm trying to make them just heavy enough so that I can get that same feeling, but keep them light enough for my taste. What adjustments should I mess with the most? Spring tension, cams, or what? I'm really having trouble here, any help is appreciated.
You need to measure dudes PDP. Take notes of the foot board angle, beater angle (use a protractor). Measure beater height and weigh spring tension on the foot board (with weights until beater touches head).

Try and duplicate your notes on your Elim. its the closest you're going to get. You can also tape-off (mark/memory height somehow) and try his beater and try it in your pedal.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Adjusting my Elims

And to add to what Les suggested, try the Black cam on you Eliminator.
It's going to be close (or exact) in shape to the cam on the PDP pedal.

Since the cam has a lot to do with the action/feel during the stroke, maybe your foot likes a rounder cam than the Blue. The Red is obviously NOT round, and has a totally different feel than the others--especially the Black cam.
The Pearl beater is way different than the PDP beater, and that's going to affect the feel & action too.

Borrow your friends pedal and get it as close as you can and change out the cams (& maybe the beater--at least try it), and then I'm sure you'll be happy.

Good luck