DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-19-2009, 08:15 PM

Default Felt alternatives?

I use all felts on my cymbals, but have always known about alternatives that let the cymbal come to life a bit more. I recently took my top felt off of my 22" A custom ping and really noticed how more breathy it is, it sounds great.

But my other cymbals need the top felt so they dont fly around all crazy. What are some of the alternatives to using felts that will give my cymbals a little more life to them? I've read about Slicknuts and Aquarian Spring things, and even small rubber washers, but I just wanted to get some opinions and maybe some insight on it all.

Thanks everyone.

ZB
Old 06-21-2009, 04:36 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Felt alternatives?

My Mapex stands have those rubber things on there and in theory they are wonderful as they never wear out. The problem though is that my sleeves were wearing down so I ordered some more. Apparently, the rubber things seem to only fit thin sleeves, and being as that there aren't thickness of sleeve options they only seem to fit Mapex stock sleeves. Other companies make rubber washers that sell alone, so I'm sure they fit stands with all sorts of sleeves. The rubber idea is great, but I'm thinking of just buying felts myself. I've got some other stands that just have them and I forget how much I miss them mainly as a form of adjustable dampening and the thick kind keep the cymbal on the stand without having to be tight.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

I think Gruntersdad might use some kind of rubber deals.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:34 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I hate top felts, I always end up hitting them and missing the note. I use these things called Cymbal Crowns, You squeeze them to get the cymbal on and when you let go it expands just enough so your cymbal can't slip past. No wing nut either, so faster cymbal setup/breakdown. They do go though, I replace them maybe every year or so.