DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-20-2009, 07:48 PM

Default Marching and drumset sticks

What kind do I use if I wanna practice marching AND drumset? I find it really hard to practice with ralph hardimon sticks and the small drumset sticks at the same time. I try to use the Thomas Lang sticks because the size Is in the middle of both. But does anyone have any other advice?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Marching and drumset sticks

I see no other way to get used to it. I have marching band sticks, jazz sticks, 5A'a, 5B's. 2B's, brushes, mallets. SD1 Generals.

I would suggewst to do singles for a little bit on a drum to get used to the size.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member

Play with a 2b since they are heavy.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonythechief View Post
What kind do I use if I wanna practice marching AND drumset? I find it really hard to practice with ralph hardimon sticks and the small drumset sticks at the same time. I try to use the Thomas Lang sticks because the size Is in the middle of both. But does anyone have any other advice?
I had the drumline where I teach use the Thomas Lang's this past marching season. We taped them up of course. However, the kids loved them and we got a very good sound with the remo white max heads. Try putting some electrical tape on them, that will add the extra weight that you are used to from the Hrdimon model. Just my 2cents.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:18 AM

try a heavier wood... maybe add some length....think about that one though.... if you use something heavier you dont have to go as fat with your stick. if its heavier it tends to be harder and can withstand impact.... but in most cases heavier and harder doesn't mean its going to make a great drumstick. grain pattern is a strong factor of a good drumstick. straight and close together. the more curvy and the more the grain pattern looks like ripples in water then it will snap very quickly. ebony is weird. not only is it super hard.... its super expensive... i bought a piece, a tiny piece a piece that is enough for 3 sticks... it
cost sixty two dollars. i haven't cut it up yet, and the guys at the place and other people as well say its really brittle. when i cut this into sticks at least i will have one stick to play with to see exactly how it is. but even if thats a good wouldd... why buy it.... those ahead sticks last a lot longer than they probably would and they are still tooooo expensive

have fun in your stick jouney

cdx