DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 06-11-2009, 09:21 PM

Default Tom Setup

Today I set up my new (not really, but new to me) Tama Starclassic Performer (birch) and having only owned one drum set, I have been having difficulty finding the "perfect" tom placement. I feel like I am playing on a giant's kit. It also has an extra floor tom (6 piece) that I am not used to so I don't know if I am setting that up right. I know that there is no right or wrong in placement, it is whatever feels comfortable. The problem is, I can't find a comfortable spot for all of the drums. My question to you guys is, Does anyone have pictures of their 6 piece setup that doesn't utilize a rack? I won't necessarily copy, I just need some ideas.

P.S. The drums sound great! I can only imagine what the bubinga version sounds like.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Tom Setup

From my experiences with trying new setups both on my electronic 6-piece and the 6-piece drums at my school, this is (arguably of course) the most comfortable setup achievable without a rack, all you'd need is a double tom stand.

That might not be your cymbal setup, or your drum sizes, but that should at least give you an idea. Also, check out this thread for real-life shots of this type of setup.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

jondrumming, how did you get all the images and piece them together like that? That's cool! It's there a specific program you used?
Old 06-11-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummertist View Post
jondrumming, how did you get all the images and piece them together like that? That's cool! It's there a specific program you used?
Haha yep! http://mitglied.lycos.de/Gerulat/DD/Test.html

The site is in Dutch I think, but there's an obvious download section. Once you download it (it takes a pretty looong time, it saves like thousands of images of cymbals and drums) KEEP ALL THE FILES AND FOLDERS IN ONE FOLDER otherwise it'll get all confusing! call the folder "Kit Constructor", so you don't lose track of it.

when you want to open up the program itself, double click "StartKC", but hover the mouse over it and make sure it's the NT Command Script version, because there's two StartKC's. Once you click, a black dialog box will appear, and a few seconds later, the program will open. Then play around with the drop down menus (there's sections for cymbals, drums, pedals, etc.) and build your kit from there!
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrumming View Post
Haha yep! http://mitglied.lycos.de/Gerulat/DD/Test.html

The site is in Dutch I think, but there's an obvious download section. Once you download it (it takes a pretty looong time, it saves like thousands of images of cymbals and drums) KEEP ALL THE FILES AND FOLDERS IN ONE FOLDER otherwise it'll get all confusing! call the folder "Kit Constructor", so you don't lose track of it.

when you want to open up the program itself, double click "StartKC", but hover the mouse over it and make sure it's the NT Command Script version, because there's two StartKC's. Once you click, a black dialog box will appear, and a few seconds later, the program will open. Then play around with the drop down menus (there's sections for cymbals, drums, pedals, etc.) and build your kit from there!
I've always wondered what that program is. Thanks JD. Btw, i think by "dutch" you mean "Deutsch". It's a German site, interesting you said dutch though as i thought German would have been the obvious guess lol.

aStY, the SCPs are really great kits mate glad to hear of it. I would agree with this sort of setup, it allows you more flexiblity in terms of height and that. I also like being able to have the ride cymbal where you would find the 2nd tom.

EHs Music Facebook Page

Last edited by eddiehimself; 06-11-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
I've always wondered what that program is. Thanks JD. Btw, i think by "dutch" you mean "Deutsch". It's a German site, interesting you said dutch though as i thought German would have been the obvious guess lol.
Anytime Ed
oh seriously? lol i didnt check, I just remembered hearing somewhere that it was in "Deutsch" :P
Old 06-12-2009, 05:34 AM
Platinum Member

These are mine, they are also Tamas. You should invest in a double tom stand if you already don't have one. Mounting toms on a bass drum is very impractical to me and i just don't understand how it's even possible to hit them comfortably. http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40367
Old 06-13-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorx View Post
These are mine, they are also Tamas. You should invest in a double tom stand if you already don't have one. Mounting toms on a bass drum is very impractical to me and i just don't understand how it's even possible to hit them comfortably. http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40367
Cool set! I have a double tom stand for the two floor toms that I have but not for the rack toms. I want to have the floor toms at a vertical angle but I cannot figure out how to make them go low enough for my preference so I have to angle them. Do you guys know how to combat the problem of discomfort with the low floor tom? It seems that I am twisting too much to hit it and I have pushed it up as far as possible.

I need to get a pic of my setup for you guys to look at. It would be easier to explain my problems and I want to show it off. Don't have a digital cam, though, might have to borrow one.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andSometimesY View Post
I need to get a pic of my setup for you guys to look at. It would be easier to explain my problems and I want to show it off. Don't have a digital cam, though, might have to borrow one.
digital cameras are like £10 these days! Well whilst you're at it don't forget to take some nice shots and stick em on the "your gear" forum :).

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 06-14-2009, 06:43 AM

I start my new setup by first setting up my throne, Bass, Snare, and hihats. Then I set everything else up for comfort and playability. I like all my toms to be as close as they can be to each other. Then I set my cymbals up the same way.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:18 PM

That program you used to create the drum kit looks awsome, im going to have to download it soon. I think the set up you have created on there with the double tom stand is great, and if i had enough money to create my own kit, that would be egzactly it, i love that whole set up, its my birthday in a few weeks and depending on my money i might try to get a set up a little some thing like that.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

By some of your comments, particularly the one about the floor tom angles, I'm inferring you either sit low, are short, or both, but if you like your rack toms higher or have a shorter bass drum, I advise mounting one tom off the bass drum and another off a cymbal arm. I found this setup allows me to keep my hi hat where I want it and I can still get to the floor tom quickly enough. Also, if you are open to raising your ride cymbal you can put it at an angle over or slightly to the side of your second tom.

In these pics I have a 10, 12, 8, and 15. I usually don't have the 8, so the 15 is closer. This setup is very comfortable and it is just about the only comfortable way for me to play multiple rack toms.

For your floor toms, have you set up your L-arms to point down? They can get really low if you do this and spread the legs of the stand to which you mount them. For two floor toms I usually put one on my left and one on my right, but sometimes I rock two at once on the right (I'm right handed).

Old 06-14-2009, 11:40 PM

It seems like I'm the minority in that I like my toms mounted right above my base. I don't like base drum mounts however, so I use duel cymbal / tom stands to mount them. I find that using a double tom stand on the left of my bass causes me to favor my left side, making it more difficult to get any fast stuff going on my floor toms, especially my far one.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:31 AM
Administrator

I would say try a rack of you want your toms over the bass drum.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Silver Member

Hey Grunter, is that an Aquarian double kick patch? If so how do you like it? Thanks
Old 06-15-2009, 01:39 AM
Administrator

It is or was. Since I don't do much double bass playing I took it off. It worked fine while I had it.