DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-05-2009, 07:37 AM
victoriousmusic's Avatar
victoriousmusic victoriousmusic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
Default New to me double pearl eliminator pedals

I received my pedals a week ago, which I bought off ebay used. I've never had a top end single pedal and have never played a double pedal. I looked at some inexpensive doubles to try but from what I could tell, better to go with used nice ones. I had a hard time deciding between iron cobra or elim. So, I think the reason I chose the Pearl was due to being able to use as a single or double, from what I read the iron cobras must be purchased separately.
I played them for the 1st time at practice tonight and it was really fun. There is only one song for our gig tomorrow that I will use them on, but it sure adds to it.
I have been practicing every day with them for a week and although I'm not always consistent I can play 16th note patterns at about 120bpm. this is with basic rock pattern on hat, snare. My question is, is this a good/bad indication of what I will be able to do on them? Since I haven't tried it before I just wonder if I'm really cut out for it. I don't know what most are able to do 1 week into it. I don't want to spend all my practice time on bd, especially if I won't be able to get some speed and precise playing out of it in the end.
Are there some people who just don't learn this skill well, or is it just about practicing and repetition? I guess I just want to know if I'm on track for where I am or if I'm behind in progress and a little "learning disabled" about it. I tried some printed exercises and to me I seem really slow and labored with them.
I don't expect to be able to do it all right away I'm just wondering where I am in the learning curve and if it may take me another 20 years to play them confidently! I don't have another 20! :)
Thanks for any input.
Melinda
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-05-2009, 08:09 AM
grooveweapon's Avatar
grooveweapon grooveweapon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northwest
Posts: 171
Default Re: New to me double pearl eliminator pedals

Sounds like you are enjoying playing and that is all that really matters. It takes time to learn the techniques you need to play what you want, and the challenge is what makes you drive harder. Especially with double bass, you will fiddle endlessly with different techniques, pedals, seat heights, and other finnicky adjustments until your satisfied and it can take years. I've hammered away it for well over 5-6 years, and that was after I felt like I already had developed decent technique with the hands only to find my feet couldn't do what I wanted. A lot of it has to do with repetition and practice, but one priceless thing I learned over time was what I call the economy of motion principle, which basically just means you must try to find a way to exert the least amount of effort to get the most stroke. Once you find that point, you have to train your body to relax and be comfortable with that. Sometimes it means unlearning habits that you have become accustomed. By the way, good choice in pedals...I play two single pedals of the same model
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,695
Default Re: New to me double pearl eliminator pedals

Keep at it, everyday you'll get a little better. As far as 'not ' having time to practice DP, that's an illusion.

You can practice your DP while doing hand exercises over the top of it. Anytime you practice you hands, you should be working your feet.

Drums are not easy. Many 25-35 year pro's still struggle with playing comfortably. It might come easier for some, but all of us still have to practice.

No one gets a DP and immediately starts shredding. The people you hear that are good on the DP, they're the ones practicing/playing it the most, its really that simple. Its not at all like playing poker.

You're right where you're supposed to be as far as the 'learning curve' and yes, all you need to do is enjoy it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-05-2009, 09:35 AM
grooveweapon's Avatar
grooveweapon grooveweapon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northwest
Posts: 171
Default Re: New to me double pearl eliminator pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post


Drums are not easy. Many 25-35 year pro's still struggle with playing comfortably. It might come easier for some, but all of us still have to practice.

No one gets a DP and immediately starts shredding. The people you hear that are good on the DP, they're the ones practicing/playing it the most, its really that simple.

.
Furthermore, with double bass playing, you have to stay on it all of the time. You might have it down and lose it from not practicing enough. There are certain muscles in your upper legs and calves you have to build to be comfortable with it, but just like you can build a muscle, the progress can be lost.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-05-2009, 05:32 PM
victoriousmusic's Avatar
victoriousmusic victoriousmusic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
Default Re: New to me double pearl eliminator pedals

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I hope I didn't make it sound like I expect to be playing metal in a week, that's not what I meant. I just thought if it was taking me longer than others maybe I should focus more on single pedal heel/toe technique, which I don't have down either. I know very well that LOTS of practice and repetition is required for any instrument, especially drums/ perc. I guess I just don't know much about the double pedal as I never used it when I had a teacher and had really no idea what to expect.
Thanks for the encouragement too!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-06-2009, 12:32 PM
grooveweapon's Avatar
grooveweapon grooveweapon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northwest
Posts: 171
Default Re: New to me double pearl eliminator pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriousmusic View Post
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I hope I didn't make it sound like I expect to be playing metal in a week, that's not what I meant. I just thought if it was taking me longer than others maybe I should focus more on single pedal heel/toe technique, which I don't have down either. I know very well that LOTS of practice and repetition is required for any instrument, especially drums/ perc. I guess I just don't know much about the double pedal as I never used it when I had a teacher and had really no idea what to expect.
Thanks for the encouragement too!
I would definitely recommend putting emphasis on single pedal work and heel/toe because even most double pedal players LEAD with one foot or the other, more often the right foot (for right handed players). That foot will be the foundation to everything you do with the other foot. As for your progress, it sounds like you are on the right track. Don't focus on BPMs though as most young players are today. Speed isn't even half of the game...focus on getting groove and on having control and your speed will come eventually. Also work on patterns between the hands and feet and ostinatos. Straight double bass patterns can get somewhat boring especially since it tends to be overplayed in modern metal music. Practice in repetition (constant rolls, etc) but with the idea that you will eventually incorporate it into rhythms.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-06-2009, 07:50 PM
victoriousmusic's Avatar
victoriousmusic victoriousmusic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
Default Re: New to me double pearl eliminator pedals

Grooveweapon,
Thanks so much, that's exactly the sort of advice I need. I don't intend on playing metal anyway. I really just want to use it for fills, a groove now and then and for some spice. Thanks for the encouragement! I've got lots of work to do.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,695
Default Re: New to me double pearl eliminator pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveweapon View Post
I would definitely recommend putting emphasis on single pedal work and heel/toe because even most double pedal players LEAD with one foot or the other, more often the right foot (for right handed players). That foot will be the foundation to everything you do with the other foot. As for your progress, it sounds like you are on the right track. Don't focus on BPMs though as most young players are today. Speed isn't even half of the game...focus on getting groove and on having control and your speed will come eventually. Also work on patterns between the hands and feet and ostinatos. Straight double bass patterns can get somewhat boring especially since it tends to be overplayed in modern metal music. Practice in repetition (constant rolls, etc) but with the idea that you will eventually incorporate it into rhythms.
If you're new to drumming and want to play double pedal, you should focus on both feet, preferably at the same time.

The idea is to build both feet, not one over the other. 99.9999% of double bass drummers are playing 'catch-up' with their weaker foot.

You can say you'll always have a dominant foot, but if still new to this, you'll be miles ahead working both feet from the start, not let 'dominant' get too far ahead in the game. You should 'work at' leading with both feet, just like your hands.

Heel-toe= both feet. When you practice DP all the time, you'll also be working on your balance point, you won't be using your HH leg to balance your body, which is a bad habit that can put your playing in a small box. If you're just working your hands, you should be working both feet at the same time, every chance you get. An exception would be if your a percussion player, no feet.

Check out this vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uprRh...eature=related

Its Billy Cobham after all those hours/years playing DP with Mahavishnu Orchestra and everyone else. Check out his DB ability.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com