DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-15-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Ringo Starr

Any doubts about Ringo's drumming, go listen to "I Feel Fine". Try to duplicate what he's doing on that latin beat, especially the right hand pattern on the bell while keeping the rest together, at that tempo. Listen to "I Am Walrus"..simple but amazingly tasteful fills and groove playing. I could sit here and think of my favorite Ringo tracks all day.
Listen to him on the recent CD Ringorama..he still has it.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Ringo is one of the most credited and admired drummers.
Google the phrase "the ringo starr of" for some interesting reading. While drummers universally hold Ringo in high esteem and acknowledge his cotributions, general pop culture sees him quite differently.
"North Korea is the Ringo Starr of the Axis of Evil"

What?? Worst analogy ever.

As for the Ringo, I proudly state him as my first and main drumming influence.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:27 PM

The entire Beatles Anthology is posted to YouTube (in ten min. segments). There are some great clips or Ringo's live playing, incl. him singing and playing one of my admittedly least-fave tunes "Act Naturally". His tempo is rock-solid, and that hi-hat shuffle is relentless! It starts at the 4.12 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHtYE3hSHWk
Old 02-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Klein View Post
"North Korea is the Ringo Starr of the Axis of Evil"

What?? Worst analogy ever.

As for the Ringo, I proudly state him as my first and main drumming influence.
Me, too !

Many Ringo gems include:

"She Said"
"I am the Walrus"
"In My Life"
"It's all too much"

Just so many to name...
Old 03-10-2008, 09:32 AM

Ringo Starr ........A true drum god!
Old 04-27-2008, 05:25 AM

Ringo was a *drummer*.

His playing doesn't seem like much to the kiddies who go to Guitar Center only to regurgitate their favorite "moves" on the drums.

Until you can truly appreciate his playing, you really can't call yourself a drummer.

-Ryan
Old 04-27-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
But an entire 3 generations of music lovers around the world danced to his beats and sung his music.

Please ask yourself why.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:38 PM

I remember jamming with the Beatles albums when I was a kid, and telling myself, "One day I wanna play like Ringo"...
from your
tv set

Old 05-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Gold Member

Drummers who are musicians get Ringo and love him.
Drummers who are just drummers don't.
With Ringo's drumming there is something going on at a whole other level that some will never be able to see. Really feel sorry for them...they are missing what drumming is all about. It can be so much more than snare on two and four.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

Rather a good episode of the wonder years

There's a beatle reference at the beginning and the end...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W2uqtvfeMZY&feature=related
Old 07-04-2008, 03:21 AM

RINGO STARR = #1 REASON WHY I GOT INTO DRUMMING
Old 11-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
...strictly speaking as a drummer I hear nothing amazing in his playing, not his feel, not his style and defintively not his technique.
True Laurent. It was mostly his composition - what he chose to play and what he chose to leave out - that was special.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
.... what he chose to leave out - that was special.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or couldn't play- and that was special.

Its not a musical crime to NOT be a technical monster. You can still say beautiful things through your instrument without having tons of chops. Which he did.

I love Ringo & Ringo was very tasteful and a huge part of the Beatles sound, but lets call and spade a spade and not endow him with qualities he didn't have.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Rebel

Ringo (Starr) did the job - and He did it dead right. Who can play that awesome "slush" hi-hat stuff, as the way He does. It's splendid, maybe a bit sloppy but fitted.

Best Regards,
Old 05-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Originally Posted by Laurent
...strictly speaking as a drummer I hear nothing amazing in his playing, not his feel, not his style and defintively not his technique.

Well, you want it:
So YOU're not a drummer nor a musician

Bernhard
Old 05-13-2009, 01:08 AM

Isn't he the voice of "Thomas the tank engine"???
Old 05-13-2009, 02:23 AM
Rebel

Well, if that is the case, neither of us are drummers nor musicians including (Ian Paice, Bill Ward, Carmine Appice, Nicko Mcbrain...and so on) who have respect for Ringo Starr and his playing.

So, believe it or not the only true drummer is Monsieur Laurent! 1 out of 1,000,000+
Old 05-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

I can understand why people wonder what the hype is about Ringo, but I think he is an inspiration. He showed us how to help make music sound great without having chops like Steve Gadd or Bill Bruford.

There are drummers who inspire us to emulate them, drummers whose standards we might aspire to, and drummers so talented all you can do is savour their work. Ringo is in the former group. Even though some of his parts are very simple and he has the odd clunky moment, his imaginative drumming arrangements are great food for thought when you feel locked into a standard frug beat and looking for ways to enliven a number.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib View Post
I guess Ringo gets a lot of credit for being a drummer at that time. He certainly doesn't hold a candle up against many of the later great drummers that came after him (many of whom admit Ringo was a big influence)

Lets face it, Ringo IS a rock 'n roll star, and we can't take that away from him.

I like Charlie Watts better, of all the bashed beloved Bernhard drummers on here. But Charlie doesn't have the rockstar persona that Ringo has. Not even the name!!

stu
Yea, I agree with you. Charlie is uber cool! He might not be the best dummer in the world, but he is solid. My friend was in Muscat (Oman) last month at the Intercontintental Hotel for lunch and Charlie was at the table beside him.

That said, Ringo holds a special place in the hearts of drummers who grew up with the Fab Four. Peace and Love Ringo!

GJS

GJS
Old 05-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

I prefer Ringo's work to Charlie's, but maybe that's just because he had more scope with The Beatles to try more varied approaches, which I enjoy. I love the way he develops distinctive little motifs for the songs.

My fave work of Charlie's is Can't You Hear Me Knocking. My fave Ringo numbers are the usual suspects - A Day in the Life, Come Together and Let It Be that really show off his instinct for working out pleasing and distinctive ways of supporting songs.

He seemed to like do odd things in the verses and then move to a more standard beat in the choruses. He tended to occupy a pretty low place in the mix, often lower than the tambourine, so the band as a whole would carry the beat rather than being built around the drums, which freed him up to play around. You can't do some of the things he did during verses if you're up in the mix without creating clutter (e.g. Hey Jude).
Old 05-26-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
He was one member of the most influential band ever. But strictly speaking as a drummer I hear nothing amazing in his playing, not his feel, not his style and defintively not his technique.

My point is not to slam Ringo. Not at all. I just think that he is only highly regarded as a drummer because of him being a Beatle and not for his drumming. That his legendary status is blinding people about his actual abilities.
same opinion here, well, I have the same opinion about Charley Watts as well.
They all happened to be in famous bands. Their playing is so simple, anyone can copy.
There is Keith Moon at one end and Charley and Ringo at the other end. Everyone comes in between. I am a fan of Keith Moon and Charley Watts.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:01 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Ringo...is much better than given credit for. I'm not referring to his technique, I'm referring to his musical sense. He's miles ahead of the pack in that sense. He is a completely egoless drummer. He is the poster drummer for the "less is more" school of thought. It's all about what he doesn't play that sets him apart. I can see how it's easy to play Monday morning quarterback and pick him apart, but he has a way of impacting things invisibly. He's so effective and most don't even realize it. Therein lies his genius. It's like getting knocked out without any impact. He knows that a whisper can deliver the message more effectively than shouting. If anyone thinks he is just so-so....I contend that it's possible that there is an unawareness of the level that he is operating on.
And the great thing he proved is you don't have to be a Vinnie or a Buddy to be influential and effective. My hat goes off to him for his musical contributions.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:38 PM
TFITTING942

Ringo is one of those rare drummers who is recognized outside of his band. People know the name Ringo. Part of that is due to to PR machine that was behind the Beatles but a bigger part was due to the style and quality of his drumming skills. In the song Get Back, He could have simply played on the 2 and 4 and it would have worked but he did'nt, and that's what made him the perfect fit for them. For some reason people don't like to give credit for his skill and I don't feel sad for Ringo, I feel sad for those people.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Ringo...is much better than given credit for. I'm not referring to his technique, I'm referring to his musical sense. He's miles ahead of the pack in that sense. He is a completely egoless drummer. He is the poster drummer for the "less is more" school of thought. It's all about what he doesn't play that sets him apart. I can see how it's easy to play Monday morning quarterback and pick him apart, but he has a way of impacting things invisibly. He's so effective and most don't even realize it. Therein lies his genius. It's like getting knocked out without any impact. He knows that a whisper can deliver the message more effectively than shouting. If anyone thinks he is just so-so....I contend that it's possible that there is an unawareness of the level that he is operating on.
And the great thing he proved is you don't have to be a Vinnie or a Buddy to be influential and effective. My hat goes off to him for his musical contributions.
AMEN! I could not have said it better.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

Yes, he had a wonderful instinct for thinking up drum accompaniment that sounded cool and distinctive. Either that or George Martin and/or the songwriters came up with great drum lines and Ringo was relaxed enough to just go with that. Maybe both.

He never used to practice and his chops were largely honed through an arduous gigging schedule in Germany, so he obviously had a good ear for what sounds pleasing.

There is something to be said for not practising because then you don't think like a drummer and only think about the song sounds. Trouble is, if you don't gig and record a lot like he did, you'll get rusty and clumsy. So, as someone who doesn't play for a living, I find the challenge is to throw my drummerly thoughts of the practice room out the window when I play with the band so I hear the music more symphonically, like a layperson.

Last edited by Pollyanna; 05-31-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:23 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I remember reading a quote from George Martin where he was saying how creative Ringo was in the studio. It gave me the impression that Ringo made up his parts, rather than being told what to play. I love his playing on "Something". Anyone who can do a backbeat without hi hats or cymbals....that takes security!
Old 05-31-2009, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

Next time you hear a drummer trash Ringo ask them to play Get Back. Don't need drums for that. 99 out of 100 that trash him accent it all wrong. It's simple drumming, but it's not easy drumming.

Ringo envy!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:57 PM

Ringo Starr is a great teacher: by listening to him you can learn that one of the most important things in music is to shut up. Like you said, he is an egoless drummer and knows exactly what not to play. If anyone tries to bash it, I just simply ask: Why are Beatles song perfect? Because he never messed up.

Oh, and if you're aware that today there is a music Style called Drum and Bass, check out Ringo's part in Revolver track "Tomorrow Never Knows".

Do you want unique and kinda "weird" grooves? Check "Ticket to ride" "I feel fine" or "Penny Lane".

Ringo rules!
Old 06-02-2009, 06:42 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Plus, and correct me if I'm wrong, he's a lefty that plays righty He starts his fills with the opposite hand a righty would, just another nuance of his sound.
He really is a misunderstood man (by the masses).
Old 06-02-2009, 06:07 PM

I had the good fortune of auditioning for, and being invited to join, a Beatles Tribute band, complete with wigs and suits. While I ultimately decided to go with another band that I was also auditioning for, I was retained as a fill-in Ringo, should theirs be unavailable. I did play a couple of shows with them, and it was awesome.

But in preparing for the shows, I listened to almost nothing else besides Beatles tracks, and I watched all the footage I could get my hands on of Ringo playing. His style is so unique, and so great to watch. You watch the Washington Coluseum show, and you can tell that he's having a blast. And MAN does he rock. I just love watching them barrel through "I Saw Her Standing There." I've always loved Ringo, and have always considered him my primary influence as a drummer, but the time I spent studying his style and form made me love him that much more.

To borrow the Dylan phrase, "Nobody does Ringo like Ringo."

Some songs that ARE Ringo (to me, anyway):
"No Reply"
"Get Back"
"Tomorrow Never Knows"
"Drive My Car"
"All I've Gotta Do"
"A Day In The Life"

Last edited by Cozmo; 06-02-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

For me, this is one of the best illustrations of his abilities as a drummer.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
For me, this is one of the best illustrations of his abilities as a drummer.
I LOVE the sound he gets out of his kit. The drums have this awesomely deep reverb, and his cymbal sound knocks me sideways...the deep "sploooooshhhhh" that he gets is a sound that I've been searching for for years. When I played with the tribute band I used two 20" ride cymbals instead of a ride and a crash, because the sound was so much better.

This is a great song, PQleyR. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

You're welcome! I think someone else on here posted it once, that's how I found it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat the beat View Post
Isn't he the voice of "Thomas the tank engine"???
Of the first series, yes! And he's by far the best person they've had to do it!
I wonder how many other people on here are familiar with that aspect of his work?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:32 PM

I love Ringo's playing, and I find him one of the best drummers ever. He's also a extremely creative groove maker!
Old 06-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member

PQ, I'll add to the chorus - great link (thanks!) and love that brash and open sound and feel. That's fair dinkum rock'n'roll drumming.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:39 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Ringo, smartest drummer ever?

Really, if you think about it, (if I have my facts straight), he isn't big on practicing by himself, he isn't a real technique guy on the par with the likes of the Vinnies and Virgils and such, (although his early sloshy hi hat sound is a bit of a trademark) yet he is more of a household name on par with Rich and Krupa, plus I'm guessing he's been on more hit records than most, and the worlds best musicians love playing with him because he plays thoughtfully and lets them grab all the glory. He took the path that the majority of people on this board aren't interested in, meaning just learning enough drums to get the job done. (I'm not trivializing his playing I think he's brilliant in a minimalistic way) If you think I'm knocking him, I'm not. To the contrary, I'm thinking he understands something most other drummers in the world missed. He is proof that there are many paths to the waterfall, and you gotta give the guy a ton of credit. My hat goes off to him.

Hey Bernhard, do I get a free DrummerWorld T-shirt for this thread?

Are there Drummerworld T-shirts? There should be. Fodder for another thread. And a possible source of income eh Bernhard?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:11 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ringo, smartest drummer ever?

Yeah, I got the call from Phil Collins to fill in for Chester on a small leg of the tour one year, and I was like no way man, I don't play that kind of music . . . I was going to do the Madonna tour but that was beneath me . . . It was between me and Abe for the drum throne on the McCartney tour but I was like, I'm not playin' that crap.

I met Sir Paul at Carnegie Hall several years back and I am still kicking myself for not giving him a card. He may have laughed in my face, he may have discarded it or even not accepted it; but I should have offered him my card. I mean just having offered Sir Paul your card is something to write in your diary.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I'm thinking he understands something most other drummers in the world missed.

Now there is something..

Discussing Ringo is always such a.... !!!!........... nnngmphffff...

All posts are full of political correctness for fear of being sacrilegious, or an exercise in expressing extremes.

'Drum God' or 'Bashworthy', for having.. well sloshy hi- hats at a time when crisp & clean was vogue.... headed surely into the inevitable cess pit of chops v/s feel.

Bernhard's sensitivity on the issue has never been quite explained on this forum, other than the fact that we dont bash any drummers around here, but I suspect his admiration for the man comes from the same place as mine.

I frankly & very simply think Ringo's orchestrations of the drum parts were remarkably original and unique. They fit the larger musical picture like Marilyn Monroe's hand in a Louis Vuitton leather glove.

The definition of a leading creative force in drumming is complete, thank you very much. QED

To me its always been pointless to debate his chops ( or the lack of ) versus Purdie's or Lang's or Weckl's or Elvin's because that had absolutely nothing to do with his music or his context. .

Can one really compare Michaelangelo or the realistic perfection of Renaissance Art to Picasso's Modernism & relatively cruder and interpretational abstractions..?

Picasso would have no chops by that argument. ( well, discount his Blue period )

Who was smarter.. I dont know.. but both were awesome.

PS- He 'discarded the card, Ken?.. LOL, you made my day

Last edited by aydee; 08-07-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:50 AM

His fills are all about 'feel'. Ringo's a little tricky.. predictable in other areas. ..His timing is impeccable ! Makes you appreciate the 4 pc drumkit ! When you strip away everything ,,its all about groove & timing..Thats Ringo .. He's a clock !
Old 08-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Rebel

Ringo Starr is a clever guy.....simple as that.

It would be interesting to have Ringo's comments, on the Feel and Technique issue?