DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-26-2009, 05:54 AM

Default EC1 Clear over Genera Resonant on toms?

Hi everybody, I have two quick questions.
On the toms of my Mapex QR (basswood) I've tried various combinations of:

Batter -
Evans G1's, G2's Coated,
Remo Ebony Ambassadors, Coated Ambassadors, Powerstroke 3 Clear and Powerstroke 3 Coated,
and the original UX heads.

Resonant -
Evans Resonant Glass,
Remo Ebony Ambassadors, Clear Ambassadors,
and the original UX heads.

(tom sizes: 12x9, 13x10, 16x16, 18x16)

I go through phases but currently I'm loving how my drums sound and feel with the Powerstroke 3 Clears over Resonant Glass.

Now, I'd like a longer sustain, and I don't want to go deeper or darker sounding as far as the main stick strike sound goes, if you know what I mean. A bit brighter or louder is okay.

I don't want the toms wide open but I don't want them too dark. I'm lovin' the nice round controlled "boooom" I'm getting, free of the higher overtones (which I like, just not in this case).

Yes G2's are definitely awesome. But I want to stay with 1-ply. I use no muffling on all drums. After all these years I'm finally pretty good at tuning (thanks a lot to this site). My music is mostly older rock. I mostly use 7a's.

So my 1st question is, if I went all Evans, would EC1 Clear (a tad brighter than Powerstroke 3's yet still controlled, I think) over Genera Resonant (a tad more sustain than Resonant Glass, I think) be the ticket?

2nd question, my snare is a Mapex 14x8 (basswood). How does a G2 Coated over a Glass 500 grab ya? When it comes to the snare drum I don't like dots and I don't like the "ring control" rings (such as Powerstroke 3). I tune the resonant head med-low and resonant almost like I do on the toms.

Thank you very much...
Old 05-27-2009, 09:06 PM

Default Re: EC1 Clear over Genera Resonant on toms?

Im just put on a set of EC1's. I did have Remo Emps on the toms.

The EC1's have a more controlled sound to them but I lost some of the TONE of the toms.
It's a more "rounder" sound and they do just as advertised. They controll overtones, almost to much for my taste.

I have a set of Pearl Vision birch 10-12-14 toms. They are not the highest quality toms but they are not cheapo's either.

It sounds like you are looking for a middle of the road sound. (not to much ring but not to much damping)
I think the ec1 or the ec2 would be a good choice for you.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:24 PM

If you're looking for a controlled sound on the snare, then I think a thinner snare side head works best. As we've been talking about in other threads, i.e. the G plus heads, a thicker head means more sustain. Sustain is not particularly what most of us look for in a snare, so I think if you're looking for is a controlled dry crack with a some fatness and some depth, then a 2-play head and a 200 weight snare side head is what you're looking for.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=28175
Old 05-28-2009, 04:23 PM

Okay, thanks a LOT for the insight, guys. I appreciate it.