DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-25-2009, 12:47 PM

Default I bought a big vintage bass drum..help!

hello-I'm not a drummer-I'm a one man punkblues band-still, as I have a kick drum at my right foot and a 1930's lowboy at my left I'm hoping you'll share your expertise.
Ive just purchased a 1930's 28X16 Premier bass drum (built at the London factory before it got bombed out in the war.Anyway, the batter head is dead, but the reso head is intact.(both are calfskin).My questions are-
Is it possible to put, say, a remo pinstripe on the batter and leave the calfskin reso on?
Should I replace the reso head too (seems a shame) with one of the imitation calfskin heads currently available, therefor avoiding the tuning issues I've read about?
Thank you so much for your time and opinions.Much appreciated. cheers HB
Old 05-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: I bought a big vintage bass drum..help!

Hi,
If the resonant calf skin head is in good condition, I'd leave it alone. I think it adds to the vintage look and I don't think it will give you many problems if it's tunable. You certainly could put any head you want on the batter side, depending on what sound you're looking for and if the head comes in a 28" diameter. If you're looking for an authentic sound from the kick drum, maybe a fiberskin or a coated ambassador or emperor head with maybe a felt strip for muffling. The problem is the size of the head. I'm not sure what's available in the 28" size and felt strips only fit up to 26" drums. You may have to create your own from a fabric store if you go that route. Good luck!
Old 05-25-2009, 05:10 PM

I'd suggest doing one head at a time: heads for a 28" can be quite expensive. I think the last head I bought for my 28" was a little north of $50. Unfortunately since it's an uncommon size (relatively speaking), stores are a little less willing to order and just keep the stock if something doesn't work.

One head to consider is the Aquarian American Vintage (*American* Vintage - not Modern -- the American Vintage is built for shells that may be somewhat oversized relative to modern drums). The American Vintage can be had with a felt strip adhered to the drum.

Not sure if a Pinstripe would fit... would assume Remo heads should have a similar fit since they seem to be preferred for some older drums with oversized shells. (And I don't know if the old Premier drums tend toward "oversized" or not).

So, for cost reasons, I'd say get the batter first, see what works, and then think about the resonant head.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:55 PM

well thats just great-I feel a lot more confident about it all now (the drum isn't arriving 'til the end of the week).Its good to know I wont necessarily need to change beautiful calfskin reso head.I'll get a batter that fits and see what occurs.
Thanks guys! HB.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

I took a Yamaha 28" marching drum, and turned it into a kick, simply by adding Gibraltar vintage look fold out spurs. For heads, a new clear Remo Powerstroke 3 batter. And I left the reso. stock, save for putting a HOLZ port in it. When I did finally replace the reso., I switched out to an ebony Remo Ambassador. The big downside to calfskin heads, weather/temperature really affects them. I'd save the calfskin head and make it a wallhanging. A Fiberskyn 3 reso., would look cool.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:50 PM

ah yes-I saw those fiberskyn heads, 2 b honest from a purely aesthetic point of view I actually prefer the look of Aquarians I think they're called-I like that yellowy tone you know?
thanks for the spurs idea-I'm not sure if I'll need to do that as the drum actually is a kick drum if you see what I mean-its that big cos its a 1930's one- it has weird little vampire teeth type spurs on it..at least I think thats what they're supposed to be!
thanks for the input Harry, much appreciated.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:05 AM
Pioneer Member

Aquarian modern vintage heads (or you may want to get the American Vintage heads since it's an old drum and these are designed to fit those vintage edges). Those heads come with attached felt strips so it saves a trip to the craft store :)
Old 05-26-2009, 02:49 PM

sounds good=I'll have to google and see where I can locate them in England.