DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-18-2009, 09:20 PM

Default Help, which double bass drum pedal to choose

I'm thinking of getting either the Iron Cobras JR, DW 7000, Pearl PowerShifter, or DW 4000, which one would you guys recommend?

They're all around the same price and I can't afford pedals at the 250$+ range. I was planning on getting a used double pedal off of ebay but I'm having some issues and I can't order from ebay :(

I'm gona need the double pedal to last me for at least 2 years, and I want them to be able to play really fast, like how Chris Adler, Travis Smith, and Mike Portnoy play em. I don't know how far my skills will go when I get my double pedals, but it would be good to know that the pedals can withstand this amount of speed.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Help, which double bass drum pedal to choose

I have the pearl p120p powershifter in a single pedal and its great! really fast and cheap price too. They make em in double pedals too i highly reccomend them
Old 05-18-2009, 09:48 PM

I scored some brand new PDP 602's off of craigslist for 50 bucks. They are 200 new.... I just watched every day for a couple of months and they popped up and I jumped on them. They are awesome so far. Maybe you can find some on craigslist. It just takes patience, which I struggle with :) Good Luck! (I would recommend them even at the 200 dollar price)

Brian
Old 05-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

I bought a Pearl P-122TW some four years ago and never regretted it. It's smooth and solid, I never had any problems with it. Works as well as an Eliminator, sans all the adjustment options.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:36 AM

I too, recommend the Pearl P-122, it is a very nice pedal, ive used one for 3-4months now on my secondary kit, and its a real treat :) and works very well at about 160-170bpm, not sure how it'd go at 200+ bpm, but i would guess it could handle anything u culd throw at it :)
Old 05-24-2009, 10:26 AM

Highly recommend the Pearl Eliminator powershifter. Most versatile pedal I've seen with the exception of the super-expensive Trick Pro-1V and now Demon Drive pedals. I am more of a finesse player than a power player, but I do play metal and I need that power the Elims bring it. I've owned Axis longboards and DW5000s and I was able to pull a better feel out of the Pearl for sure. Not that the other pedals aren't good pedals, but everyone plays with a slightly different style and it's best to have a pedal that can adjust to your style rather than you having to adjust to it.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:08 AM

In that price range, and if you're not willing to patiently wait for a used high-end pedal to come about, I too would recommend the Powershifter. Without a doubt the smoothest and most responsive pedal in that price range. The DW 4000 series is crap, liked my old $100 PDP 400 series pedal much better. The 7000 series is decent but not as responsive as the Powershifter in my opinion, and then I don't have any experience with the Iron Cobra Jr, but making an assumption, its probably a good pedal considering all of TAMAs hardware is dependable. However, since I have no experience with it, I say go for the Powershifter.