DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-17-2009, 11:56 PM

Default Compromise between single and double ply??

Hi,

I'm currently using coated ambassadors over clear ambassadors on my snare and toms (snare side ambassador on snare bottom). My kit is a Pearl Masters BRX. Now, I like the sensitivity of the ambassadors but, the music I play requires alot of dynamic range and I find that when hitting hard (which I have to do pretty often) the drums sound a bit thinny and lacklustre. I like the boomy bottom end of double ply heads on toms but don't like the loss of sensitivity. For instance, the clear pinstripes feel good to me on toms for their low-end, direct and punchy attack. But for lighter playing they don't work so well for me. Right now I'm thinking I will probably end up going for coated emperors all around but if anyone can offer any insights into a happy medium between single and double ply batter heads for snare and toms it'd be much appreciated! Oh and the Evans Genera HD looks interesting too. Has anyone tried them? Ditto for the Evans ST?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2009, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Compromise between single and double ply??

www.evansdrums.com

check out the G Plus head. its a thicker single ply head which gives best of both worlds
Old 05-18-2009, 12:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomhero243 View Post
www.evansdrums.com

check out the G Plus head. its a thicker single ply head which gives best of both worlds
That or Aquarian Super 2's. From Remo, maybe C.S Blackdots which I have always liked. They are some tough single ply heads.. The added strength comes from the dot, of course.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:09 AM

Hope you find the heads your looking for . Theres so many new heads out there now days. But don't forget if your playing live that thin sound to you may sound great to the people your playing for. The one thing I can't stand is when a drummer is playing in a large bar or hall and the drums sound like card board boxe's. I saw David Garibaldi at a drum clinic years ago, in a somewhat large room. The drums sounded GREAT. Guess what he was playing? Coated Ambassadors, Thats right. Some times that thin sound sound gives you a little pitch bend. Now whats wrong with that. I kind of like that. Most guys think that this is crazy but I've been playing on coated diplomats for years with clear ambassadors on the bottom. Talk about loud with a lot of lows. There louder so you don't have to play as hard. Yes they will have to be replaced sooner because of how thin they are but man do they sound great. Why do you think the old Ludwigs from the 60's sound so great. They all used medium coated heads. There mediums were 7.5 mls. I talked to guys that use 7.5mls on the 10 tom only and liked it. Good luck in your sreach and go with what sounds good to you.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawacker View Post
Hope you find the heads your looking for . Theres so many new heads out there now days. But don't forget if your playing live that thin sound to you may sound great to the people your playing for. The one thing I can't stand is when a drummer is playing in a large bar or hall and the drums sound like card board boxe's. I saw David Garibaldi at a drum clinic years ago, in a somewhat large room. The drums sounded GREAT. Guess what he was playing? Coated Ambassadors, Thats right. Some times that thin sound sound gives you a little pitch bend. Now whats wrong with that. I kind of like that. Most guys think that this is crazy but I've been playing on coated diplomats for years with clear ambassadors on the bottom. Talk about loud with a lot of lows. There louder so you don't have to play as hard. Yes they will have to be replaced sooner because of how thin they are but man do they sound great. Why do you think the old Ludwigs from the 60's sound so great. They all used medium coated heads. There mediums were 7.5 mls. I talked to guys that use 7.5mls on the 10 tom only and liked it. Good luck in your sreach and go with what sounds good to you.

Playing with Diplomats as batter heads is crazy. They wouldn't last me 5 minutes. Diplomats are mostly knows as a resonant head. There is no way they would be suitable in a loud rock situation, that's for sure.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
Playing with Diplomats as batter heads is crazy. They wouldn't last me 5 minutes. Diplomats are mostly knows as a resonant head. There is no way they would be suitable in a loud rock situation, that's for sure.
That is wild! I'm a moderate attack player and I go through a set of Ambassadors every few months. I never even thought about playing on Diplomats! Two ply heads last for years. I almost never wear them out.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
That is wild! I'm a moderate attack player and I go through a set of Ambassadors every few months. I never even thought about playing on Diplomats! Two ply heads last for years. I almost never wear them out.
yeah, same here. I don't think Diplomats would even make it past the tuning stage with me. I wouldn't even try.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:52 AM
TheArchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by feno13 View Post
Hi,

I'm currently using coated ambassadors over clear ambassadors on my snare and toms (snare side ambassador on snare bottom). My kit is a Pearl Masters BRX. Now, I like the sensitivity of the ambassadors but, the music I play requires alot of dynamic range and I find that when hitting hard (which I have to do pretty often) the drums sound a bit thinny and lacklustre. I like the boomy bottom end of double ply heads on toms but don't like the loss of sensitivity. For instance, the clear pinstripes feel good to me on toms for their low-end, direct and punchy attack. But for lighter playing they don't work so well for me. Right now I'm thinking I will probably end up going for coated emperors all around but if anyone can offer any insights into a happy medium between single and double ply batter heads for snare and toms it'd be much appreciated! Oh and the Evans Genera HD looks interesting too. Has anyone tried them? Ditto for the Evans ST?

Thanks!
I think clears would be a bit more sensitive
Old 05-18-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
That or Aquarian Super 2's. From Remo, maybe C.S Blackdots which I have always liked. They are some tough single ply heads.. The added strength comes from the dot, of course.

Yeah, I've tried the Evans Power Centre on my snare which I guess is quite similar to the Remo CS and it worked pretty well for me. Do you have any idea what thickness the plies are with the Aquarian Super 2's? Thanks for the advice everyone. More feedback is welcome!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:51 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feno13 View Post
Yeah, I've tried the Evans Power Centre on my snare which I guess is quite similar to the Remo CS and it worked pretty well for me. Do you have any idea what thickness the plies are with the Aquarian Super 2's? Thanks for the advice everyone. More feedback is welcome!
have a look here for some detailed info

http://www.suprovox.com/castellano/b...ian/super2.pdf
Old 05-19-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
have a look here for some detailed info

http://www.suprovox.com/castellano/b...ian/super2.pdf
Nice! Now I'm just hoping the crappy local music shop supplies them!
Old 05-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Pioneer Member

Check out the vintage coated heads by remo. 2 ply, 7mm and 3mm plies.....i think....don't quote me on that!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:28 PM

I have the Genera HD dry on my snare, sounds pretty good.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer View Post
Check out the vintage coated heads by remo. 2 ply, 7mm and 3mm plies.....i think....don't quote me on that!
They are made up of "2 plies of 7.5 mil film"