DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-15-2009, 10:26 AM

Default Snare side skins

hey all!

thinking about giving my snare a much needed revamp and was wondering if having a batter head would work as a snare side skin (the one under the snare!) as it happens i have a spare 14" emperor coated (plus the Remo Black Dot emperor on the top and new puresound snare wires) and was wondering if that would work?!

H
Old 05-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Snare side skins

I've read about some people using batters for snare side heads. I've never tried it myself.

I think it would work - meaning you'd still get the basic sound of a snare.

I have some thoughts though.

The first is that I've never heard of any pro player using a batter on the snare side. Some may have tried it for a special effect but I can't recall anyone I know of or in trade mags claiming to use this combo as part of their setup. Also anyone I've read about on forums doing this was using an Ambassador batter.

If you just want to experiment, it's fun to try all kinds of things on drums. It might get a specific sound that you could enjoy or record with. It just wouldn't be what you normally expect to hear. My guess is thicker and much less sensitive. Maybe a bit more round tone but much less sensitivity. Ghost notes might be non-existent or sound like a tom.

Last thing to consider is that in general, batters are slightly higher in price than snare side heads. From a financial standpoint you are losing money.

IMHO, I would say save the Emperor for the next batter change. Get a good snare side head (Remo, Evans or Aquarian) and then re-tune the drum. I'd de-tune the batter. Maybe take it off and mark where the head lines up on your snare as you want it to go back on the same way it came off. Clean up your baby with some Windex and a soft cloth, lube the tension rods and then put on the new snare side head first. Tune it up a bit then reinstall the batter and tune it up.

Whenever I start from scratch with new heads it's always cool to spend time with the tuning and some light maintenance. I put an hour or two into it and usually feel refreshed about how the drum sounds and looks then.

I've been tuning drums for a long time but I've also enjoyed Bob Gatzen's YouTube videos (also on Evans website) on tuning. Fresh perspective is healthy. That's why were here on this forum right? :)

Good luck and let us know how it works.

Last edited by Shedboyxx; 05-15-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

I think you'd be disappointed in the sound...well...*I* would be. You might be after a different sound than I am.

Putting an emperor on the reso side of the snare would make the snare wires less sensitive (in theory) and they just wouldn't "snap" like they did w/ a thin, single-ply head.

It'd be an interesting experiment though - try it and see what happens?
Old 05-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

A batter head on the bottom of a snare doesn't sound good at all. It sounds muffled and choked to death. Hold your hand across the snare wires then hit the top. That's what it sounds like. Always use "snare side heads" on the bottom unless you desire that lifeless sound for some reason.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:17 AM

Cool! thanks for the insight guys. Just had a spare one lying around, thought i migh save myself 25 bucks!
Old 05-16-2009, 05:23 AM
Platinum Member

Wow!!! 25 bucks for a head.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Gold Member

The issue is that snare-side heads are always single-ply and much thinner than batter heads. They need to be, for good snare response and ability to conform to the snare beds on the drum.

Most single-ply batters are 10mil thick. The 2-ply Emperor has two layers, each 7mil.

In contrast, most guys use a 3mil head such as the hazy Ambassador snare-side or Evans Hazy 300, while some snare drums sound better with a 2mil head such as the hazy Diplomat snare-side or Evans Hazy 200.

Big difference in sound and snare response.