DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Silver Member

Default Remo Pinstripe Experience?

Are these heads capable of producing a really low, focused sound on toms?
This is the spefic one im looking at:
http://www.remo.com/portal/products/...pinstripe.html

http://www.allthingszombie.com/forums/index.php

User ID Creeping Death
Old 04-30-2009, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Remo Pinstripe Experience?

alot of producing the sound u want is in the tuning of the head i knew some one with these heads and there was no anything from the heads it was like a dull thud with is cool if your triggering or u just like that sound but u will be able to get a focused sound out of your toms itll just be kinda lifeless

im gunna be puttn new heads on my drum set(hopefully soon) and according to professor sounds drum tuning bible (i cant get the link to copy) a single ply batter with a two ply reso tuned a little tighter than the batter should produce the most focused tone possible

ambassador/emperor of ill be doing a csdot/emperor

depending on how u tune your drums and the sound u want u might not want to use clear heads but that is only a minor detail hope this helps
Old 04-30-2009, 07:28 PM
TheArchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin412 View Post

im gunna be puttn new heads on my drum set(hopefully soon) and according to professor sounds drum tuning bible (i cant get the link to copy) a single ply batter with a two ply reso tuned a little tighter than the batter should produce the most focused tone possible
I think you have that backwards....
Old 04-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
I think you have that backwards....
Yeah, your backwards with this one. Yes, if you can get "good Pinstripes" they will give you a nice low sound. Use an Ambassador on the bottoms tuned up medium and tune the tops medium loose. Give or take on both heads.. just experiment but in general, the bottom needs to be snugged up more than the top. Now you could make it even easier and try the Aquarian Performance 2's. They are made to sound low and round BUT I have found that they sound better on drum sizes 14 and up. I feel they are a bit too dead on smaller sizes but you may like that.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:59 PM

For years all I used were pinstripes....They are awesome heads (if tuned right.) Like mentioned before use an Ambasador reso tund a full step higher than the top...and keep the top just above a wrinkle. I have recently swithced to using Coated Emperor Vintage Heads...Just to have a warrmer and more lively tone...but the pinstripes are awesome for a signature fat sound
Old 04-30-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLovesSabian View Post
Are these heads capable of producing a really low, focused sound on toms?
This is the spefic one im looking at:
http://www.remo.com/portal/products/...pinstripe.html
Low and focused - pinstripes do this well if tuned properly.

In my opinion and experience, If you want that sound

Pinstripes are good for:
Practicing in a med sized room
Recording
Playing live with close miked toms

Pinstripes are not good for
Playing live unmiked

Wayne

Last edited by wloeb; 05-01-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

Is there a certain type of Pinstripe that I should get?
Or just the original head?

And would coated heads change the sound at all?

Questions, questions, and more questions!!! lol

User ID Creeping Death
Old 04-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Silver Member

Clear are fine. The Ebony ones are slightly heavier which results in a darker (more focused tone) The coated ones would have a little more of a rounded sound and they wouldn't have the snap (attack) that clear heads have.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
Clear are fine. The Ebony ones are slightly heavier which results in a darker (more focused tone) The coated ones would have a little more of a rounded sound and they wouldn't have the snap (attack) that clear heads have.
Cool, I was planning on going with the clear ones anyways.
I prefer them.

User ID Creeping Death
Old 05-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Gold Member

Experience? I've used them and hated them. Nuff said.

I've also owned hydraulics and those seem like they'd fit the bit better.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Pioneer Member

Every Pinstripe I've seen and heard has had a plastic terrible sound. The exception if you electronically enhance everything (i.e. Steve Gadd). Go with Remo Emperors instead, fat sound, not flat.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:17 AM

My recording with Pinstripes:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d=1#post571640

Please check it out.

Wayne
Old 05-13-2009, 06:12 AM
Silver Member

Can't beleive I'm saying this but..... I got my son a set of Pinstripes in 10, 13 & 16 mainly because that's all the store had in his sizes as a complete set. I did the tap test and to my surprise I ran into a good batch. We put them on, stretched them a little and all 3 tuned up instanly. That hasn't happened for me in years. These heads get a bad rap because of quality control issues. Same goes for Emperors (sometimes) The Pins I put on are not dead sounded. I'd say more round and controled.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Can't beleive I'm saying this but..... I got my son a set of Pinstripes in 10, 13 & 16 mainly because that's all the store had in his sizes as a complete set. I did the tap test and to my surprise I ran into a good batch. We put them on, stretched them a little and all 3 tuned up instanly. That hasn't happened for me in years. These heads get a bad rap because of quality control issues. Same goes for Emperors (sometimes) The Pins I put on are not dead sounded. I'd say more round and controled.
sweet! these are the heads im gonna get, only my toms are in power sizes...
Old 05-15-2009, 06:17 AM
Silver Member

Alright got to put my 2 cents in here... Pins suck! The sound they have is dead and muddy, have experienced many different types of sounds with different heads, and I am a Remo fan but I can't stand these heads!!!!!!
Stick with the coated and if you like the clear go with the emps...
Sry to all you pin fas, but they do sound bad.....
Old 05-15-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdoog View Post
Alright got to put my 2 cents in here... Pins suck! The sound they have is dead and muddy, have experienced many different types of sounds with different heads, and I am a Remo fan but I can't stand these heads!!!!!!
Piperdog, Can you take a listen to my pinstripe recording? Maybe I can change your mind. Please let me know what you think of the sound.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d=1#post571640

Wayne
Old 05-15-2009, 09:50 AM

I remember the PS's sound was rather fashionable in 80's popular music. They were more lively than Evans Hydraulics (that uber-controlled 80's Steve Gadd sound), but not as wild as ambassadors. Some drummers who couldn't afford hydraulics tried to get a more damped sound from PS's using o-rings or tape, but I never liked this setup on my drums because they just ended up killing the sound. At one point I tried tuning them very high, but they choked too easily. I agree with wloeb that PS's are OK close miked either live or in the studio. But they can be rather frustrating live without close mics.

By the mid 90's (when I was more into producing than playing), I noticed drummers were looking for more high frequency overtones, which were better served by ambassadors, emperors and their Evans equivalents. The only application of PS's I liked recently was on an old Yamaha Stage Custom 18" floor tom, which sounded full and a bit lively in spite of medium tension. Nowadays I see PS's mostly on beat-up club drums because club owners say they are more durable, and can still be played even if the top ply is torn.

So if you want a really low, dry thud, go for hydraulics if you can afford them. If you want medium to high pitch, go for single ply clears. If you want even more high-end overtones, go for coated single ply's. And if I wanted something unusual, I'd even put on black dots and tune them high to get that Tony Williams sound. But I'm pretty much done with PS's, and wouldn't buy them in this day and age unless I had a special application for it.

P.S. I gave away all my PS's to my church because the "generic" stock heads on the church kit sounded miserable, and the kids who play for Youth Sundays don't know the meaning of the word "control".

Last edited by makinao; 05-15-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Silver Member

Still don't like them!!! Sry
Old 05-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdoog View Post
Pinstripes are a good head if you get good ones meaning ones that were made properly. Remo is famous for their poor quality control. I happened to be able to get a good set as I said earlier. Your forgetting one big thing.... the same head will sound different on different drums. They aren't dead and muddy on my sons Tama Superstars. They sound bad to "You" It's your opinion which is fine but it's not a fact then again, maybe you have a bad batch.

EDIT: I have been against these heads for sometime simply because they weren't consistant. I would get 3 of them and sometimes only 1 or 2 out of the 3 would tune up. I had this problem with Emperors as well but mainly with the Pins. I have never had a problem with Remo single plies. I'm not about to give up my Aquarians but... maybe they are doing a better job these days or I got lucky. I'm not usually lucky so I'd like to think they are doing a better job. My worst experiance with pins was with a 14 floor tom. No matter what tuning range I went for, I'd hit the drum and it would go brrrrrr....rr. Imagine having the head evenly tensioned halfway around and then having the other half at just above the wrinkle stage. It was awful and yet the head looked perfectly fine So... I just thought it was only right to mention a "pleasant experiance" after having so many negative ones, that's all.

Last edited by wolfmoon; 05-15-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Pinstripes are a good head if you get good ones meaning ones that were made properly. Remo is famous for their poor quality control. I happened to be able to get a good set as I said earlier. Your forgetting one big thing.... the same head will sound different on different drums. They aren't dead and muddy on my sons Tama Superstars. They sound bad to "You" It's your opinion which is fine but it's not a fact then again, maybe you have a bad batch.

EDIT: I have been against these heads for sometime simply because they weren't consistant. I would get 3 of them and sometimes only 1 or 2 out of the 3 would tune up. I had this problem with Emperors as well but mainly with the Pins. I have never had a problem with Remo single plies. I'm not about to give up my Aquarians but... maybe they are doing a better job these days or I got lucky. I'm not usually lucky so I'd like to think they are doing a better job. My worst experiance with pins was with a 14 floor tom. No matter what tuning range I went for, I'd hit the drum and it would go brrrrrr....rr. Imagine having the head evenly tensioned halfway around and then having the other half at just above the wrinkle stage. It was awful and yet the head looked perfectly fine So... I just thought it was only right to mention a "pleasant experiance" after having so many negative ones, that's all.
How big are your son's toms?

Because I have a ludwig accent custom elite with power sizes, and i am planning on getting clear pins/clear ambassadors on the toms. Would you recommend these for faster paced alternative/grunge style music?
Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafrothunder View Post
How big are your son's toms?

Because I have a ludwig accent custom elite with power sizes, and i am planning on getting clear pins/clear ambassadors on the toms. Would you recommend these for faster paced alternative/grunge style music?
He has 10,12,13, & 16 (standard sizes) Right now he is just using 10, 13 & 16. I have a Tama Rockstar with "power tom sizes) 12 & 13. All through the 80's and 90's, Pins are all that I used while playing metal. I actually liked the Ebony Pins on those a little better since they are slightly heavier than the clears.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
He has 10,12,13, & 16 (standard sizes) Right now he is just using 10, 13 & 16. I have a Tama Rockstar with "power tom sizes) 12 & 13. All through the 80's and 90's, Pins are all that I used while playing metal. I actually liked the Ebony Pins on those a little better since they are slightly heavier than the clears.
oh alright. I just like the "clear sound" better than the "coated sound." thanks!