DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-12-2009, 05:59 PM

Default Broken Throne Fixes?

So I've had a Pork Pie throne for about 1 years and the seat bracket recently broke while performing. I only weight about 165lbs. but this bracket is constructed of cast aluminum which is probably the reason it cracked all around. Does anybody have recommendations? I don't want to spend another $150 on a throne and the rest of the throne is fine its just the seat bracket is no good anymore
SEE:
Old 05-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Broken Throne Fixes?

I bought a Pork Pie throne a few years ago, but the problem I had with it was that I couldn't sit as low as I wanted to (the seat was really thick and I'm only 5'7"). So, I tracked down a replacement seat from Roc-n-Soc, and added it to the existing base. Problem solved! You can special-order these kinds of things; you just have to know where to look. I don't remeber exactly where I got mine from though.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp959 View Post
So I've had a Pork Pie throne for about 1 years and the seat bracket recently broke while performing. I only weight about 165lbs. but this bracket is constructed of cast aluminum which is probably the reason it cracked all around. Does anybody have recommendations?
Recommendation: Don't buy Pork pie thrones.

Wood doesn't flex evenly, which is what happened. That bracket is simply a piss-poor design.

Unless the bracket is circular, there needs to be a piece of stiff metal between it and the seat. Even then its a crap shoot. Sometime those style of brackets aren't produced flat (enough).

I would suggest getting Tama's-- 3-1 HTS5-1 Casting complete "Sit-Tight" as a replacement, yeah, the the same one that's been under fire for the bolts breaking.

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/part..._430_2004.html

You may have to mount it to a sheet metal plate in order for it to fit the Pork's mounting holes, or maybe get lucky and just mount to the bottom of Pork seat. I don't know what Pork has going on there (inserts, or right into the wood etc.).
Old 05-13-2009, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member

I use a Roc-N-Soc Nitro base mated to a medical exam stool seat. I still have Roc-N-Soc seat, but I like the medical stool seat better. So, these things are interchangeable to some extend.

Maybe go around to some used office furniture stores and look at their stools and chairs. Take your throne base with you. You might be able to find a good replacement seat.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:34 AM
Administrator

You can buy a Roc N Soc throne seat only at MF. It may fit the same post. Maybe DMC could measure his stool shaft and see if it is the same as yours

Gibraltar and Tama also sell replacement seats.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
You can buy a Roc N Soc throne seat only at MF. It may fit the same post. Maybe DMC could measure his stool shaft and see if it is the same as yours

Gibraltar and Tama also sell replacement seats.
That's a good idea. I'll measure tonight FWIW.