How Do You Get In Shape?

Don't confuse 'losing body fat' with 'getting in shape'. I know plenty of perfectly fit people who are fat.

Start off slow. Take a nice long walk around your neighborhood every day. I also recommend going swimming too. Not only is it fun, it exercises your body. The best way to get in shape is to move, not work out.

You also have to watch how you eat, too. This doesn't mean cut all the meat and sugar out of your diet, it means to balance all that stuff out so you're not eating more than you need of something. Also, get into natural food--food that has no preservatives, artificial stuff, not processed, and only as much lipids (fat oil grease) as it needs. Eat locally grown food, too. If you live in New England, get apples from a local farm, not imported all the way in from Washington.

I get into shape by resisting the 6th bit of Dark Hazelnut Chocolate.

Also, lots of .. lovemaking..

destroys calories and limbers you up up like nothing can.

I like MFB's suggestion too. Sting combines both our suggestions, and just look at his fitness levels, not to speak of the happy smile on his missus' face !!!

First......Go to a doctor and tell him what you want to do. I don't know your age but you need to consult with a doctor before starting any exercise program. Sounds like a tv ad but it's so true. Let him prescribe a program or some limits may be in order. Just like drumming rudiments, it won't happen over night. Good luck.
While good advice, it always makes me bust my gut. If exercise is going to kill you, your up the creek without a paddle, well maybe cardiac paddles. LOL.

Pilates, Tai Chi, both effective and neither should kill you. If your looking to really get fit, then any type of tai bo, heavy bag, is really killer. Punching and kicking is a real labour for the ticker.

I like bicycle myself. We have an excellent trail on the st lawrence river, sweet ride.

PS, try a 5 cup ebsom salt bath after you play. It works wonders. Also use after workouts. Remember that it is 70% food intake as you are what you eat. antioxidents and the like are important. Also the first six to eight weeks, you feel worse...LOL.

Running, jogging or biking is the best way, but you really need some determination to achieve your goals. Have a good plan in your mind.

If you want to start lifting weights I've got some tips if you want to join a gym, (instructors there should guide you anyway If you tell them what you want to achieve)

Remember, it's roughly 80% diet and 20% training. You need a good diet plan and stick with it and eat healthily.

Back