DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-04-2009, 05:42 PM

Default Best tension to reduce knee pain

I have two kits I play on. 85% on a PDP w/stock heads (kit A) and 15% w/a PDP w/Power S3 (kit B). I have had three surgeries on my knee and when I play kit A for 2-3 hour rehearsals there is minimal pain/discomfort. I played a gig on kit B yesterday softer then I normally play cause of the room, and pain started in the second song. Finally, does anybody have ideas/knowledge of what combinations of head tension and bass drum padding would help my problem? Thanks.

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Old 05-05-2009, 01:20 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Best tension to reduce knee pain

Speaking from personal experience, it may be your motion. may be your knee is either to high or too low compared to the rest of your leg causing you to strain that specific area. I used to play with my throne a little higher than what would have kept my leg horizontal. Eventually after about a 45 mins or so of steady playing I'd get up and feel sore. Maybe try wrapping you knee with an ace bandage or something, stimulate some of that blood flow.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:52 AM
Administrator

How long has it been since your last knee surgery and has the doctor released you to play? And as mentioned above, your thigh should be sloping downhill toward your knee so that it is lower than your hip, but not too steep. I read between 90 and 110 degrees. do you bury the beater, leave it against the head rather than have it rebound? Lots of things to try or check out. And maybe put the pedal on the A kit on the B kit when you play it.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:12 AM

As mentioned already its probably a matter of position- change your seat hight and try for a while, I think maybe a higher seat would mean less strain on the knee mate.
Good luck!
Old 05-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Silver Member

Low spring and head tension will reduce shock, while low muffling will improve rebound to make playing easier, but you also have to work on your technique and playing as relaxed as possible.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:05 PM

For more info; I have used the same DW5000 pedal for 13+ years. I take it w/me from kit to kit. My last surgery was 7 years ago. I was actually sitting lower on kit B which gave me pain. One thing I also didnt think about was that there was not a bunch of room and was up against a wall. It was kina cramped. And my knee was almost directly over my ankle. Which is normally not the case. I like the bass to be out in front of me a good distance. Being 6' and w/a 34" inseam.................I like the room.
Thanks for all the advise.

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Old 05-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybbdrummin View Post
For more info; I have used the same DW5000 pedal for 13+ years. I take it w/me from kit to kit. My last surgery was 7 years ago. I was actually sitting lower on kit B which gave me pain. One thing I also didnt think about was that there was not a bunch of room and was up against a wall. It was kina cramped. And my knee was almost directly over my ankle. Which is normally not the case. I like the bass to be out in front of me a good distance. Being 6' and w/a 34" inseam.................I like the room.
Thanks for all the advise.
Yeah man, give those gams some breathing room, and you should be fine.