Portable Digital Recorder

I am looking for a recommendation for a digital portable recorder for practice and rehersal. I would like the recorder to be able to loop portions of a song and also be able to slow down parts so I can practice at a slower speed. I really do not want to spend over $400 and would prefer to spend as little as possible. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking for a recommendation for a digital portable recorder for practice and rehersal. I would like the recorder to be able to loop portions of a song and also be able to slow down parts so I can practice at a slower speed. I really do not want to spend over $400 and would prefer to spend as little as possible. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I've got an Edirol (made by Roland) R-09HR that I use to record band practices, and it's an amazing little machine. Awesome. I've also heard very good things about the Zoom H2 which is a bit cheaper, both cost-wise and build-wise.

HTH.

--Jim.

I've got an Olympus LS-10. I love it. All of the sound for the videos on my bands youtube voice were recorded with the LS 10 sitting on a table back by the sound board. I think it does a great job for the money.

I'll second the LS10, the sound quality is surprisingly accurate. And it can take being dropped, plenty of recording capacity too. The built in stereo XY mics are great, but you can plug in your own too. Runs on AA batteries. Never had a Zoom H2, can't speak intelligently about that

I would add that you can get a power plugin for the LS10, which I have. I intially plugged the recorder into the soundboard and we did a test record. The LS10 did a better job picking up the sound with its built in mics than it did coming plugged into the sound board.

Last edited:
I bought a Tascam DR-07.

The Pros: Light weight, records in MP3 or WAV format, built-in limiter, line inputs.

The Cons: OMG eats batteries fast, didn't come with an AC adapter (have to buy it separately), on-board mics sound tinny*. *The recordings made with line level input were good.

Back