DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-23-2009, 03:58 PM

Default Coated Emps and Ambs

Can anyone tell me in real terms the difference between Remo's coated emporer and the ambassador?

I know 1 is 10mil single ply and the other is 2 7ml plys- is that it?

I can read the Remo website but I wanted a real world example of the difference and any experiences using them
Old 04-23-2009, 04:04 PM
TheArchitect

Default Re: Coated Emps and Ambs

The Emperor will be a bit thicker sounding, more bottom with less sustain than the Ambassador
Old 04-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

The Emperor is a slightly thicker version. You might find it to be more ideal on a kit with many overtones. The Ambassador is Remos equivalent of Evans G1, the Emperor is equivalent to a G2.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

The emperor is lower-pitched and more durable. And, they have less "life" right out of the box than ambassadors, but after a couple of months of playing, they will have worn out less and have more "liveliness" than ambassadors.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 04-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

I love the open, fat, warm sound of the coated amb - emperors are horrible, IMO. I never had the patience to wait a couple months for them to loosen up. Out of the box they sound as good as the cardboard box they come in.

That's just me...I think I'm done w/ two-ply heads for good.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:38 PM

I agree with the above poster. Plus if you play live, the sustained, more "lively" tones of Ambassadors will suit you far better than the more lifeless Emps.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

I like emps on my DW, but ambs on my Ludwig. The emps enhance the shell sound in the DWs, but the ambs enhance the shell sound on the Ludwigs. Weird, huh? I'm not sold on one or the other, I just like which heads get me the sound I like out of each kit. Oh, and I dig the coated heads more than clears, but when I'm doing a studio gig, the engineers typically prefer the clears instead of coateds.

My advice, buy each (amb and emp) for ONE of your toms and listen to the difference. Try tuning it to the range you would typically play in. Pick which one you like and outfit the rest of your kit that way. OR, if you have the resources, buy a complete set of each and try both heads out on each drum, individually. You might find you like ambassadors on the high toms and emperors on the low ones, or something like that. When you've done that, play them all together to make sure that the tuning spread is to your liking. If not, switch out the appropriate heads to adjust. Then you'll know for future reference when buying new heads, plus you'll have some spare heads to bring with you to gigs, on tour, to the studio, etc...

Old 04-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
You might find you like ambassadors on the high toms and emperors on the low ones, or something like that.
That's a really good idea! I know a drummer named Chris Fryar who plays with a group called Oteil and the Peacemakers. He uses that exact strategy: Ambassadors on his rack toms (10 and 12) and Emperors on his floor toms (14 and 16). I played a set of DW toms for awhile (while my PDP toms were in Mexico having their bad bearing edges re-cut), and when I switched from Emps to Ambs, they opened right up! It all depends on the drum and the sound you're going after.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Gold Member

^^ It's common to use 2-plies on floor toms because floors typically have more sustain than racks. A good way to even out the sustain among your toms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
The emperor is lower-pitched and more durable. And, they have less "life" right out of the box than ambassadors, but after a couple of months of playing, they will have worn out less and have more "liveliness" than ambassadors.
I confess I don't get this. Durability has more to do with the player than the heads, and I've never noticed (in over 30 years of using them) that Ambs lose their "liveliness" in a "couple of months of playing." Oh well!

Meanwhile, being single-plies, the Ambs will also be louder than the Emps.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
...and I've never noticed (in over 30 years of using them) that Ambs lose their "liveliness" in a "couple of months of playing." Oh well!
I noticed this a long time ago. On my cheap-o CB kit, I put a set of coated ambassadors, tuned them up well, and used those new heads to record a band. I played on the heads for about 3-4 months, and tried recording with them again. I tuned them the same as the previous recording I did (it was for the same band). I used gooseneck clamp-on mic clips to mount the same microphones, so the mic placement was exactly the same. On that second recording, I couldn't get the drums to sound the same as the first time. I realized that it was because the heads just didn't sound the same. They had lost a lot of brightness. Sounded like they lost their "vigor". I put on a set of coated emperors to do the takes for that session, and they sounded much "livelier" than the ambassadors (naturally, they were new heads, right?), but not as lively as the ambassadors from the original takes. Must be the pitch being lower or the slower response of the 2 plies, I figured.

I played and recorded with those heads for years, and they didn't ever diminish in "liveliness" to the amount that the ambassadors did after maybe 4 months. I don't know if it has to do with the constant tension they're under while sitting on the drums for long periods of time, or if it has more to do with the actual playing on them, but they do lose elasticity over time, which I think has to do with the "liveliness" I've been talking about.

For theoretically-inclined scientific minds, we can illustrate the qualities I've talked about in hypothetical quantities: Let's quantify the value of "liveliness" of the new heads; Ambs, fresh out of the box, let's give the value "10", while emps will only rate at "8". After a year, the ambs may have dropped to a value of "4", but the emperors only dropped to a "6". Although the ambassadors started out brighter and more "full of life", they quickly diminished in that quality, while the emperors managed to hold on to that quality a little longer. (These numbers don't accurately depict the actual percentage of these qualities and their reduction over time, but they serve to illustrate the point I'm making.)

Heads and cymbals wear out over time--it's a fact of drumming. As drummers, we typically don't notice the change in sound on our own instruments, because it's so gradual. My wife had the same set of strings on her guitar for about 10 years. Her guitar still sounded good to her. When I put a new set on for her (same gauge/wrap/brand), she couldn't believe the difference. It was like a new guitar, she said.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Gold Member

You can assign arbitrary numbers all you want, but I've still never heard this in decades of using them.

Like most heads, they do break in, and sound brighter at first. Perhaps that's all this is.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

The biggest difference is stick rebound, which is worse on emps. If you want less overtones, go powerstroke.