DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 04-20-2009, 11:47 PM

Default Most enjoyable concert experince

After seeing the worst concert experince thread i assume you guys have had some good concert experinces i hope.

For me it would be seeing The Who with support from Biffy Clyro and The Answer all three bands blew me away and seeing living legends just made me shiver got a drumstick off Zak and met some cool people all in all a perfect outdoor gig with the sun beaming.

But i have always left a concert plesed i just love live music.

Now your turn!!!!!
Old 04-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Most ENJOYABLE concert experince

I've had no dissapointments at all yet, so I really can't say.
If I really had to pick though, mine would be AC/DC.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member

I've had so many great concert experiences that it's hard to narrow it down to just one. So I came with a two-way tie between Dave Weckl and Duke Robillard.

I saw Dave a couple years ago back in Seattle, I sat maybe four feet from him and pretty much took mental notes all night. I got to chat with him after the show and he even gave me pair of his sticks!! Very classy guy!

I've seen Duke a couple times. He's a blues/jazz/swing guitarist, if you don't know who he is. I highly recommend that you check him out if you have the chance. Some of the best guitar playing you will ever hear. I got to hang out with him and his band both times I've seen them; he and his entire band are also a very classy bunch of professionals. .
Old 04-21-2009, 02:19 AM
Silver Member

hmmm... i havnt been to that many, only 17...

Though i think it's a tie between seeing The Bad Plus at the village vanguard and seeing The Foo Fighters at MSG. 2 totally different experiences, but both equally enjoyable.

On the one hand, The Bad Plus at the village vanguard was definitely the most intimate experience i've had with seeing live musicians. They were less than 5 feet away...i could've touched both the drumset and piano. Seeing incredible musicians in that close proximity was just awesome.

And with the foo fighters, well it was just plain fun. We sat (or i should say stood) general admission - right in front of the big stage. Awesome show. So much energy, excitement, and they played pretty darn well.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:39 AM

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Porcupine Tree
Black Crowes
Motley
Testament
Type O
Alice in Chains
Mother Love Bone
Anthrax
Pearl Jam

Too many to name
Old 04-21-2009, 03:07 AM
Administrator

Billy Joel
Ringo and His AllStarr Band
Old 04-21-2009, 03:25 AM

I'm not too much of a metal head anymore, but the best live show i have seen would have to be Morbid Angel. I saw them in '04 and '06. They are not way too big which is kinda cool, b/c its usually a small venue when thay play and you can really get up close.
I have never seen a band play such fast complex music and play it so cleanly and precise.
Seeing them made me want to go home and practice until i could play their tunes on guitar & drums!
Old 04-21-2009, 04:13 AM
Platinum Member

So many highlights.

One that jumps to mind was the time I had a 3rd row seat to see Rush.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:22 AM

wow, I've seen so many it's impossible to pick just one.
seven that quickly come to mind are-

Buddy Rich at The Bottom Line in New York
Dennis Chambers with Niacin (I've seen them 4 times)
Rush (I've seen them 5 times)
Steps Ahead at The Bottom Line in New York with Peter Erskine on drums
Dave Weckl at The Bottom Line in new York
Y&T at BB King's in New York
Return to Forever at Carnegie Hall, I was front row center (I heard it was DiMeola's first show with them)
Old 04-21-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGroceryman View Post
hmmm... i havnt been to that many, only 17...

On the one hand, The Bad Plus at the village vanguard was definitely the most intimate experience i've had with seeing live musicians. They were less than 5 feet away...i could've touched both the drumset and piano. Seeing incredible musicians in that close proximity was just awesome.

And with the foo fighters, well it was just plain fun. We sat (or i should say stood) general admission - right in front of the big stage. Awesome show. So much energy, excitement, and they played pretty darn well.
The Bad Plus was the best concert I've ever seen. Followed by Les Claypool followed by Zappa plays Zappa. Les's concert was incredibly entertaining and Dweezil and co. was awesome because of all the great musicians.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:31 AM
Silver Member

Most recently..I'd have to say for me it would be Fleetwood Mac. See my review. Others.. Life of Agony and Type Negative. What a combo.. huh?
Old 04-21-2009, 05:03 AM

Ringo Starr And His All Star Band,Journey w/Peter Frampton and John Waite and a country-rock group Ryan Shupe And The Rubberband (they are a great live band-great musicians).
Old 04-21-2009, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member

Motley Crue on the Carnival of sins tour was great! They played so tight that night it was amazing. They also had a great stage show to go along with the music. Oh and i was only a few rows back in the GA pit. LIfe of Agony was also a great show. It snowed really bad that night so not many fans showed up. Bad for the band but great for me. I was in the front row. Caught a pick and drum stick. Type O negative has always been good for me too. They signed all my stuff for me too. I have pictures if anyone wants to see.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:27 AM

Rush back in the early to mid nineties (can't remember exactly). They played a great show at Pine Knob (outdoor venue) on a perfect summer night. They played awesome, lots of people I knew went and were partying and the energy from the crowd was great.

The Yes Union tour with all the members up there playing in the round. Great show.

Radiohead last year. Worth the 4 hour drive to see them.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:20 AM
michael drums

No surprise...

All 23 Rush concerts since 1982(Signals), all the way up to 2008(Snakes & Arrows).

Danzig, who my best friend John Christ was the guitarist/bassist on the albums/vocalist for from 1987 - 1995. Saw him six times w/Danzig live, and was absolutely stunned how incredible he had become since he left home for his stint with Danzig.

All the 14 Ted Nugent shows I saw from 1980 - 2007. The man is just a phenom in concert. Talk about a fun show. Whewww... The Motor City Madman/The Mighty Nuge/Uncle Ted. Whatever you call him...he's incredible!

Alter Bridge @ The Rams Head LIVE in Baltimore on November 27, 2007. Miles Kennedy, Mark Tremonti, Brian Marshall, and of course, the amazing Scott Phillips on skins! Just a fantastic performance by an amazing group of talented musicians. Seriously...you need to see this band live. ABSOLUTELY awesome!! ;-)
Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Silver Member

While I've had several enjoyable experiences, the one that stick out to me are the ones that blow me away, because it wasn't something I expected...

First one that comes to mind is a Ween show I went to a few years back, for those of you that know them, for the most part, their albums use cheezy drum samples and (for the most part), basic drum beats - Claude Coleman blew my mind that night.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:38 PM

My Morning Jacket @ Bonnaroo 12am - 3am

nuff said
Old 04-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Weather Report - Avery Fischer Hall 1985

Keith Jarrett- private performance at Timothy Hill's loft In Soho 19 sum'thin

Tony Williams- Fat Tuesdays

Dave Liebman - Jazz Yatra 1978

Steve Ray Vaughan- Concert by the Pier NYC..1982

Zakir Hussain/McLaughlin- Rang Bhavan Mumbai- 2002
Old 04-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, Abe, but have you ever seen anybody noteworthy? :)

I saw Lieb last year at the 55 bar, and he is still one of the best around. It was one of the best shows I ever saw. i was inches from his cone, and every break he sat down next to me like a lng lsto friend.

I also saw Weather Report back in 82-83?; I don't know if they were jazz :P but they were one of the greatest live acts.

I remember that Stevie concert. It was free, right? I didn't make it in and I am still kicking myself becaseu I never got to see the man. it was always next time. I made it in for the free Tomita concert when he played from a spaceship suspended over the river. I had my priorities. I drank a lot back then.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
Yeah, Abe, but have you ever seen anybody noteworthy? :)

I saw Lieb last year at the 55 bar, and he is still one of the best around. It was one of the best shows I ever saw. i was inches from his cone, and every break he sat down next to me like a lng lsto friend.
Ya, he is quite a performer. Btw Julius Pastorius' band might be doing that gig soon. keep an eye out nice improv funk.

Quote:
I also saw Weather Report back in 82-83?; I don't know if they were jazz :P but they were one of the greatest live acts.
The sure were.. ya, Jaco/Joe/Wayne did it for me. The drummer didn't matter. isnt that strange..

Quote:
I remember that Stevie concert. It was free, right? I didn't make it in and I am still kicking myself becaseu I never got to see the man. it was always next time. I made it in for the free Tomita concert when he played from a spaceship suspended over the river. I had my priorities. I drank a lot back then.
Free it was. Miller High-Life....Santana & Pink Floyd were playing the same weekend. I didnt go home..; )
Old 04-21-2009, 06:30 PM

Hmmm, I've seen alot of awesome concerts. I always enjoy them. Lollapalooza 08 definately takes it though. It was my first festival and the line up was made for me.

Radiohead the first night, Rage Against The Machine (!!) the second night, and NIN on the third. Radiohead made everyone cry using a climactic blend of fireworks and music during Everything in it's Right Place through to Fake Plastic Trees. I'm not kidding, as soon as the last firework blew and they brought it down for the last section of fake plastic trees, they sent out this pulsating tidal wave of emotion - and everyone felt it. Rage almost started a riot. And Kanye West's beats were so loud you could hear him from the other side of the park and subsequently ruined NIN's Hurt lol.

There were a ton of amazing subheadliners and smaller bands during the day too. Slash made a suprise appearance and played a Janes Addiction song with Perry Farrel and the luckiest 13 year old drummer ever. Jeff Tweedy did an awesome little acoustic set, though I missed Glen Kotche and the rest of Wilco since they were playing the same time as Rage...ahh well. Grizzly Bear and Explosions in the Sky were incredible. Gnarls Barkly was tight as anything and even Gogol Bordello was a lot of fun at the time.

Yeah, I don't think I'll top that.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:16 PM

Pink Floyd in '94, Porcupine Tree in 2007, Anytime Clutch plays

http://www.askgavinharrison.com
Old 04-21-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Weather Report - Avery Fischer Hall 1985

Keith Jarrett- private performance at Timothy Hill's loft In Soho 19 sum'thin

Tony Williams- Fat Tuesdays

Dave Liebman - Jazz Yatra 1978

Steve Ray Vaughan- Concert by the Pier NYC..1982

Zakir Hussain/McLaughlin- Rang Bhavan Mumbai- 2002
If science ever gets to a point where they can do memory transplants, can I borrow your brain?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Most enjoyable concert experince

The day after my 18th birthday I went to see my favourite band Tha Mars Volta... Cedric got some of the audience onto the stage (incl me) and we all sat round as they played Goliath... then when we were made to leave, got to shake hands with Cedric and Thomas.
*sigh*
Best gig ive ever been to :D
Old 04-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Gold Member

The Progressive Nation '08 Show i went to. Dream Theater are to this day the most talented group i've seen. and opeth and 3 were almost as increadible :) ....Between The buried and me on the other hand werent my cup of tea, but all in all that was the most incredible 5 hours of Prog in my life.

just talking about it makes me super pumped about it. lol

and also, Pillar is deffintely one of my favoruite bands to watch live. and I'm lucky enough to be able to say i've seen 'em 3 times!! all 3 concerts were mind blowing!! the drummer is deffintley one of the most talented induviduals I've seen preform, hes right up there with dream theater IMO. actually I'm suprised Lester Estelle Jr. isn't on Drummerworld....

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordory3
Old 04-21-2009, 11:29 PM

Most enjoyable as an audience member :- Shihad, Wellington Town hall 2008

Most enjoyable concert I played :- Elvis tribute show, Timaru, Theatre Royal 1993
Old 04-21-2009, 11:30 PM

Journey in Edinburgh at the Playhouse in June 2007.
Always been influenced by Journey since I was a teenager & started playing drums. Only regret was that Steve Smith didnt make the reform, but Deen Castronovo was awesome!!
Old 04-22-2009, 04:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel Logic View Post
If science ever gets to a point where they can do memory transplants, can I borrow your brain?
You wouldn't want it. Trust me.

The good stuff has a way of engraving itself in, doesnt it..
Old 04-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel Logic View Post
By that point, you'll be able to travel back in time and see it all yourself. :)

btw, Abe, Julius was just there last Friday; that's why I asked you about it. I didn't go though.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:40 PM

We used to have some great Rock Fests and Champagne Jams here in Atlanta. Saw lots of great acts at those. But my two favorites had to be Yes at the Omni around 1978 or so, or the Dixie Dregs at the Fox Theatre around the same time frame.

The Fox Theatre has to be one of the best places in the country to hear a concert. Small enough where everyone has a great seat, and near perfect acoustics, not to mention a fantastic atmosphere.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:59 AM

this may be a shame to the older drummer, i sure would have loved to see bonham, moon, rich and all the other great players and bands of the 60s and 70s, but alas my parents started the shagging a little late for that.

my best concert ever, The Hives 2004 in St. Louis, MO at The Pops They had just released Tyranosaurus Hives. The show was absolute insanity. I have never heard a band be able to sound on stage like they did on the CD like these guys did and still have tons and tons of freshness and energy to make it an awesome experience. and the drummer? Like OMGWTF! he's like Phil Rudd meets Steve Moon. He remains to this day one of my favorite drummers... but uh.. I'm such a fan of the band as a whole that I don't know his name. Yes, i know. EPIC Failure.

close runners up would be Man Man also in St. Louis from philly, and Lye by Mistake from St. Louis (lol sensing a theme here). If anyone gets a chance to go to a Man Man concert and does so, it will be the single greatest decision you will ever make. don't bother listening to thier albums, just go into the concert blind. it will blow your mind. and don't worry about trying for Lye By Mistake, they broke up shortly after the show I saw.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:29 AM

my favourite one was seeing opeth down at the docks. It was amazing. First me and my band played for hours and drank for hours down at my uncles jam room which is a five minute walk or well stumble for us that night then we got to see 3 which everyone has to check out. then seeing opeth...it was amazing
Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 PM

Meshuggah with Cynic, The Faceless, and local band Enemy Reign back in February.

That show has left me with the knowledge that I will be wearing ear plugs to all other shows I go to now.

But I did get to meet Michael Keene and Marten Hagstrom plus Sherwood Webber. Cool guys.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Senior Administrator

i saw megadeath, offspring and queens of the stoneage all as support acts for the one band on this planet that must be seen live to believe ...

it was at milton keynes and i lost my watch and my shoe but i was right at the front for almost the whole show and was totally blown away by the guys. brian is an incredible front man.

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 04-24-2009, 03:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
i saw megadeth, offspring and queens of the stoneage all as support acts for the one band on this planet that must be seen live to believe ...
Megadeth opening for AC/DC?
Chirst, they've opened for like every famous band there is... AC/DC, Judas Priest, & Black Sabbath.

Kind of an odd lineup, Megadeth with Offspring & Queens of the Stone Age? ... and AC/DC?
Dang, quite a diverse lineup.
Bet it was a great show nonethanless.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:22 PM
michael drums

Oh...

and of course...

Brian Bromberg's Downright Upright Allstars, in 2007, @ the Rams Head Tavern in Annapolis.

I mean you have Bromberg on bass, Jeff Lorber on piano, Gary Meek on sax, and the incredible Dave Weckl on drums. And I was 'bout 8 feet from Weckl.

Absolutely fantabulous show! I'll never forget that one. ;-)
Old 04-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
Oh...

and of course...

Brian Bromberg's Downright Upright Allstars, in 2007, @ the Rams Head Tavern in Annapolis.

I mean you have Bromberg on bass, Jeff Lorber on piano, Gary Meek on sax, and the incredible Dave Weckl on drums. And I was 'bout 8 feet from Weckl.

Absolutely fantabulous show! I'll never forget that one. ;-)
Lorber & Weckl.. now thats unexpected... must have been a blast , Michael. ( Meek is awesome..)
Old 04-25-2009, 02:08 AM
Platinum Member

A picture is worth a thousand words

Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 04-25-2009, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words

Dear gracious and heavenly father, I ask for your protection as I write the words below that may in fact bring danger or harm to me and my family. Amen.

that's an awesome pic of.... well... i recognize you? o.0
can some of those thousands of words be what the band's name is?? =D

i'm just kidding, but seriously, who are they? lol i'm wanting to say that's mike portney on your right, which would make it dream theater. but i'm not too sure. (perhaps i shouldn't have said that)
Old 04-25-2009, 06:31 AM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Lorber & Weckl.. now thats unexpected... must have been a blast , Michael. ( Meek is awesome..)
Oh...let me tell ya, aydee. I have to admit, I was transfixed on DW pretty much the whole night. I couldn't help it, my table was right at the stage with Weckl playing sideways on the farthest right of the stage, facing the rest of the band. And right in front of me, man! :-O

I could of spit over his head I was so close. ;-)

But yes, Lorber was spectacular, and Gary, anything but, Meek WAS awesome!

Hope to see these guys again...for sure!

I just LOVE the Rams Head Tavern in Annapolis, Md. If anyone gets a chance to see a show there...DO NOT HESITATE! Excellent little jazz-club style venue.

I've seen Frank Marino there twice. I've also seen Keith Emerson, Carl Palmer, Rik Emmett, and Stanley Jordan there. All were fantastic. And it's the set-up of the venue that really enhances the musical experience. You're right there with the artist just a few feet away. Great sound is also a treat.