DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-12-2008, 12:22 AM

Default Hi-Hat Stands

Hi All,

Just a few questions, been trying out different hi-hats in shops just to see what the difference is between your basic one (in my case, pearl) and other ones on the market. From what i can tell is that they are heavier, more expensive and just have a different brand name on them. To me, there seems no point so far.
But i do realise, there must be something different/better than average kits one, but what are those points im missing?
Old 04-12-2008, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Hi-Hat Stands

They are solid, which is key if you use a lot of hi-hat. Nothing is worse than a pedal which moves to the left and right more than up and down. Second, many of them have two legs positioned closer to the back, this allows you to place the double bass pedal next to your hi-hat without it getting in your way.

This is how my setup will eventually look, it would be impossible with a regular hi-hat stand.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:31 AM
Pioneer Member

I have a Yamaha with 2 legs. I like it very much because it has a longer footboard, and because of the 2 legs. But I think expensive hi-hatstand are not better than the cheap ones. A cheap yamaha stand can be really great. You don't need to spend a lot of money for a hi-hatstand.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

The similarities and differences are just like bass drum pedals. Numerous. Within a given manufacturer, you might have light, medium and heavy weight stands. Within each weight category, you might have 2 and 3 legged models (fixed and/or swivel), and legless. Tension adjustments may be non-existent, a few adjustment points, or totally linear. Connection of the footboard to the operating rod might be direct, chain, strap, or lever. Floorplate (for added stability) might be standard, an option, or not offered. New is not always better. Sometimes the only difference is cosmetic. Web sites sometimes break down all the features of a given item, but other times you have to go "dig" for information. Catalogs, this forum, etc.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Senior Consultant

It's like having s good seat. You don't really notice it until you DON'T have it. Then you realize how important a good one is.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Gold Member

I play a lot of classic rock that call for open HH bashing for hours on end. (in a musical kinda way) Having a solid, heavy HH stand is great for that. If you are a jazz noodle master, light weight will work. The expensive ones tend to be smoother, but I have never in 40 years of playing said to myself, "Gee, this HH action is bogus."
Old 04-13-2008, 12:53 AM

So what is a decent, light-weight Hi-hat stand?

Preference to two legs and not really that fussed about fancy features.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
It's like having s good seat. You don't really notice it until you DON'T have it. Then you realize how important a good one is.
I have a good Hihat Stand but I never had a good seat. But my 1st Chair is on the way.

I don't know why I just wrote that.
from your
tv set

Old 04-13-2008, 03:56 AM

I use a Pearl remote stand for my main now, but before that I had a BOA. It's the best hi hat stand I've ever used and it took sometime to get used to the Eliminator stand. Not a single regular or remote stand I've tried comes closed to the BOA. They're expensive, but totally worth it. And they're pretty light too.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:02 PM

yeah im on a budget but my stock stand has bit the dust. need sumthin good quality but as cheap as possible? anyone?
Old 04-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Gold Member

buy used. I bought my first generation Iron Cobra HH stand for 30, swivel foot, tension adjustment and all. Nice and light, it moves when I tap my heel while having it closed; having a tambourine attached to the stand gives it a great effect.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Administrator

I'm using a Tama Road Pro but it's not cheap. Frank has a good idea on the used items.
eBay should have tons of good stuff and keep any eye out for your local Craigslist.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

I've been playing for many years and I never gave Hi-Hat stands much thought. I selected a mid priced, medium weight Tama stand back in the 1980s and I played it for 25 years or so.

Recently I was out shopping and I found myself trying stands. I sat down and I played the Iron Cobra. (I have the Cobra bass pedal and I like it) I loved the easy smooth action that the lever glide provides. I liked the two legged feature. I took a Cobra home!

I played it at home for a few hours and I noticed much improved Hi-Hat play. My timing was better with my new stand. My Zildjian K's sounded better! (I don't understand why that would be true, but I swear that they sound slightly different!). My foot didn't get fatigued after long play periods. I've had the Cobra for several months now and I continue to feel the same. It wasn't just because it was new that I noticed a difference. I played my old stand at practice last week and I could tell that I was back with my old stand. I set up the Cobra during a break!

I'm not saying that The Iron Cobra is the best stand for all drummers. It is an example of finding a product that works for you.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 04-19-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:36 AM

The first few I played were used that came with used kits. One was sticky, one was flimsy, one was ok but I sold that one with a kit, and then I finally decided it was time for a "better" stand and I got a Pearl H-1000 Hi hat stand. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...and?sku=448775

Its a good middle of the road stand. Smooth, sturdy, fairly adjustable (foot board height, spring tension, hi hat angle, hi hat height)

I plan on switching to a Gibraltar Ultra Adjust unit so I can compensate for my double pedal moving my hats over...

I guess it comes down to what you are looking for. If you will be served by a cheapo, then by all means grab one up. If you want something like what I got, its a combo of reasonable price for the gear. If you want high end, you will pay for it once and you may never have to buy it again...