DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 08-30-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Electronic drum witch is the best value

Presently im looking for a electronic drum. The roland is to much expansive for my budget. That let me two good choice Hart Dynamics or a Yamaha dtxpress IV. The yahama is less expensive and good enough but the mesh pad of the hart dymamic a interessting and he had the console of a roland td-20. Anyone can tell me if the difference of price of the hart dynamics and of the yamaha make the difference. WHAT I CHOOSE ???????????????????
Old 08-31-2007, 01:15 AM

Default Re: Electronic drum witch is the best value

I know nothing about the Hart, but I have a Yamaha DTXpress4 Special kit and think its great.
Robo
Check out www.dtxperience.com for reviews and you can hear the kit.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:21 AM
Erik Lund

Sorry man, but the best value IS the Roland kit that costs about 5 grand. You can do so much more on that thing it's ridiculous. If you were charged a certain amount of money for each function any of those kits did - the Roland would far and away be the "best value".

Hold off and save your pennies.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:43 AM

Get the best of both worlds and great bang for your buck. Get a Hart Kit and a Roland module!
Old 08-31-2007, 04:00 AM

Yes. Agree with Pasta. See my signature. I got a great throne with backrest, good headphones, top of the line kick pedal, Hart Gigapro kit and Roland TD-12 for the same price as you'd pay for a Roland comparable (kit and module only--no phones, pedal or throne). Roland: you're paying for the name. Hart's are great. Plus the top-of-the-line Hart rack is more sturdy than the Roland.
If I were to do it again, though, and knowing what I know now (and being a rather thrifty person), I'd go DIY. Buy a cheap acoustic kit and convert it to electronic drums (I'd still use the TD-12 for my sounds). I still love my Harts and have no regrets.
If you are handy and can solder, look into the DIY. see www.vdrums.com for lots of DIY and other info relating to V and E drums.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:02 PM
Gold Member

You can always pick up a used Roland for pretty cheap if you're just looking for a practice set. I just found mine on craiglist for like $470 (Older TD6 model) the pads are single trigger and rubber but for my purposes that's all I need.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Gold Member

Roland all the way, or if not that, at least go Hart Dynamics set with a Roland module (TD-6 is the best value, but the TD-12 and TD-20 are amazingly worth it too if you can afford them).
Old 04-14-2009, 07:14 PM

Yamaha for me. Got the DTXpress IV special V2
Yamaha's sounds are actual samples of real drums where as Rolands are synthesized.
I'm not bashing Roland kits at all, just prefer the Yammy's.
my 2 cents
Old 04-15-2009, 12:02 AM

Hmm my first electronic was a Yamaha dt express, all rubber pads...was ok-then I bought the Roland td8--What a kit! the mesh heads and cymbals that choke make for some expressive playing...in short I could play my a*( off on that kit....I love it till today!
I do admit that the name is what you pay for tho and I too would consider a Hart Dynamics kit with Roland brain, as I have heard some good things about Hart.
I actually called them to ask where I could buy HD gear from b4 I bought the Roland new....sadly at the time they never had a UK distribution set up at all.]
So my vote is Hart Dynamics and a td8 brain to keep the cost down- perfectly usable and gigable- you wont miss much on the td9 or 12 cept many more additions like for example snare buzz, beater selection, head type and mike positioning...grate in theory but if you took it to a gig.........you would never use these settings and if you took it to record with the sound guy would get upset as he would want to tweak the settings himself on the desk!
Let us know mate what you decide and post some pics please when you are set up.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibesman View Post
Yamaha for me. Got the DTXpress IV special V2
Yamaha's sounds are actual samples of real drums where as Rolands are synthesized.
I'm not bashing Roland kits at all, just prefer the Yammy's.
my 2 cents
Totally agree with this statement. For starters, don't really care for mesh heads, but that's just me. I have seriously shopped E kits and I really liked Yamaha the best, but looking more at the DTXtreme 3. The sounds were much nicer to my ear comapring to the TD-20. It's on the wish list to add a DTX3 module, triggers, and some pads to my acoustic kit. Roland makes great modules, just thought the Yamaha had better sounds and features. Especially comparing the $$$.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:07 AM
Silver Member

i almost posted a very detailed reply about the power being in software now, but instead i'll post about how threads like this that are 2 years old should be deleted since the original poster is long gone and probably bought a kit many months, if not a couple years ago.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:48 AM

my pick goes to the yamaha, my first kit was an electronic yammy. real nice, course the high end rolands blow it outta the water