DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Gold Member

Default Aquarian Power thins??

Hey folks, just wondering if Aquarian is still making these heads?

I think they'd be the shizzle on my Gretsch Purewoods!
Old 04-11-2009, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Aquarian Power thins??

I'm not sure if they do, but everytime i look around the net or anything, nothing. I have the powerthins w/ dot on my drums now that i found at a music store but it might have been left over? But they really do sing nicely. BTW i play a pearly export.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Aquarian doesn't produce the Power-Thin series since maybe 3 or 4 years but have somewhat an equivalent serie in their catalog. So to me the Classic clear with powerdot look like the replacement.

Aquarian Power-Thin ™: A clear, single ply, medium weight head that features an ultra thin layer of our Power Dot ™ material on top.

Classic Clear™ with Power Dot™: A clear, single ply, medium weight head that features Aquarian’s patented Power Dot™ on top. The Power Dot™ provides extra support in the center of the head and does not radically change the tonal characteristics of the drumhead.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 04-12-2009, 02:24 AM
Gold Member

That is kinda disappointing! I love aquarian heads. The studio Xs are great sounding heads but they don't survive long under my heavy hand. I remember seeing an ad for power thins some time back and thought that those would be just what the doctor ordered...hmmmm...?
I like an open resonant sound like that of a single ply, but need the durability of a 2 ply head.
I have tried the Evans Gplus and found them to be too plasticy sounding for my taste.
Attack makes a thin skin head which is a thin mil 2 ply head that is touted as being as durable as a 2 ply, but with the sound and feel of a single. So far I have only see that series in a kick head.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahammer View Post
That is kinda disappointing! I love aquarian heads. The studio Xs are great sounding heads but they don't survive long under my heavy hand. I remember seeing an ad for power thins some time back and thought that those would be just what the doctor ordered...hmmmm...?
I like an open resonant sound like that of a single ply, but need the durability of a 2 ply head.
I have tried the Evans Gplus and found them to be too plasticy sounding for my taste.
Attack makes a thin skin head which is a thin mil 2 ply head that is touted as being as durable as a 2 ply, but with the sound and feel of a single. So far I have only see that series in a kick head.

Then the Aquarian Super-2 would correspond more your need. It a two ply head with a complete different concept, the first ply (upper) is 5 mil mylar and the second ply is 7 mil. What is said is these heads offer tone & resonance with punch & attack, all with the durability of a two ply head.

I did not tried them yet though.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 04-12-2009, 05:34 PM

Will the super-2's sing as nicely as the power thins? I just love the way they give dooooooo sound but without all the overtones.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereactionsite View Post
Will the super-2's sing as nicely as the power thins? I just love the way they give dooooooo sound but without all the overtones.
Cant really say since I never tried them both aside but many people swear only by the Super-2. UK Aquarian & Mapex endorsee Craig Blundell heads of choice are the Super-2 because they have all needed, a warm tone & resonance.

To me the best person to answer your question is Roy Burns from Aquarian, they really take time to answer everyone questions.

info@aquariandrumheads.com

My Kit Latest Update
Old 04-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
Then the Aquarian Super-2 would correspond more your need. It a two ply head with a complete different concept, the first ply (upper) is 5 mil mylar and the second ply is 7 mil. What is said is these heads offer tone & resonance with punch & attack, all with the durability of a two ply head.

I did not tried them yet though.
I will have to do some experimenting.. I am using the stock Evans G2/G1 on the toms and Emad on kick. I just think that Aquarian makes the best head for the sound I am looking for.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereactionsite View Post
YES they do. I've used Aquarian heads for years and years, and the Super-2s are their best head ever in my opinion. They're probably not great for jazz where you'd *want* those overtones, but for rock, they're the bomb.

--J.

DrumART.com - Use Your Head! (TM)
Old 04-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumART Jim View Post
YES they do. I've used Aquarian heads for years and years, and the Super-2s are their best head ever in my opinion. They're probably not great for jazz where you'd *want* those overtones, but for rock, they're the bomb.

--J.

Thank's Jim for your opinion contribution. :-)

My Kit Latest Update