DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 03-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Default Aydee's sold his soul...

The future looks ominous. More days to be spent on the 29th floor of a Manhattan apartment.

The Yammie Maples will now be the occasional mistress. My 18" bass drum conversion for a jungle/jazz kit will have to wait...as will its partner-to-be, the Lenny White Istanbul ride cymbal.

In the meantime, I done what any sensible guy in my shoes would do...

I've ordered a Roland TD-KX all mesh e-kit!

What do you think?

Do any of you play both acoustic & E?

What IYO is the difference? Do you use lighter sticks for the E?? Is it a whole different ball game?

Any reviews of this product would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Default Re: Aydee's sold his soul...

Congratulations Aydee.

Don't know about the difference of playing e-kit and acoustic kit, but very well possible.

See our Johnny Rabb, doing both:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/j...okegroove.html

Bernhard
Old 03-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

(with disdain) Reviews?! Why? You've already ordered the blankedy blank thing! Where did you get it? I hear there are great deals on E-kits at satanplayselectronicdrums.com. Everythings $666.00. So I already know how much you paid. Enjoy your new kit, I hope it's worth it. When your Yammies spontaneously combust don't come to us asking why.

Seriously, that's an awesome compromise for your situation. I've hit, (not played mind you - so my soul is still intact) the mesh pads vs. rubber pads, and they feel miles better. I think, given your plight, it was the right move. Hope you enjoy. And we'll still want pics btw...

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 03-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the clip, B... boy if only I could do Johnny's single handed roll ( might be wild on an e-kit, with a differently assigned sound for the rim click )

TPT, your evil eye on my Yammies wont stop me! A man's gotta do what a mans..etc etc

A drum tech friend ordered it for me. Not to sure from where. The price is about right.
Blind Faith. He know his beans, whereas I'm an idiot on the Estuff.
He thought this best suited my purpose, which was to practice, and lay down some demo tracks on my comp with musicians I'm working with.

Got to wait about a week for pics.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Silver Member

Last year, a great deal was presented to me and I just had to take it. It was a bulk sale which included a td10 module with pd 120 dual trigger toms and all the fixings including rack. It was a sick deal which I couldn't pass up, thinkin' that if I don't like it I could easily double my money selling everything off individually. Well at first I was having a blast, loved the fact that the kit made almost zero noise etc..was exploring the module and its gazillion different sounds, but after a couple of weeks I got bored. I don't want to discourage you, but I didn't dig the e-kit. I couldn't feel the groove and the dynamics were just not there for me (try a buzz roll).
Now, if I didn't have a choice in the matter ie: lived somewhere that had noise bylaws. I would of kept for one reason, that edrums are better than nodrums.
good luck.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenPastTen View Post
(with disdain) Reviews?! Why? You've already ordered the blankedy blank thing! Where did you get it? I hear there are great deals on E-kits at satanplayselectronicdrums.com. Everythings $666.00. So I already know how much you paid. Enjoy your new kit, I hope it's worth it. When your Yammies spontaneously combust don't come to us asking why.

Seriously, that's an awesome compromise for your situation. I've hit, (not played mind you - so my soul is still intact) the mesh pads vs. rubber pads, and they feel miles better. I think, given your plight, it was the right move. Hope you enjoy. And we'll still want pics btw...
I feel so dumb. I actually went to that website. :(
Old 03-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Big_Philly

An e-kit will serve you just fine for practising, , especially with mesh heads. And it has some big advantages over acoustic kits when you play in a small venue. They just don't look half as manly as a set of acoustic drums.

Good luck with them! Post pics when you get them.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Mesh pads are cool.

I do find myself wanting to use lighter sticks with e-drums.

There is a bit of adjustment, as all the pads tend to be smaller the most of your toms.

But it's a lot of fun too!
Old 03-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Pioneer Member

You'll be plenty happy with any of the mesh head kits. You might want to look into some additional software though as the electronic sounds will begin to grow tiresome after about an hour of playing.

Even the high-quality Roland sounds still sound really fake to me. There are lots of options for getting real acoustic sounds though rather than modeled ones.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:32 PM
Gold Member

Aydee, I guess you are right, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...I do hope that you enjoy it and find great use in that...personally have never touched them. Post when you get the time.

Good Luck,

JIM
Old 03-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the dark side. Yes, you got a whole new ballgame. But nothing to worry about. I'm sure you'll adapt fine. Roland make an excellent product(s). Worse case senario. "Better to play an e-kit than no kit at all" Best case. "I like this". Nod to Bernhard, the Johnny Rabb stuff is totally "off the hook". I've seen the cat now, do his thing live 3 or 4 times at NAMM, simply unbeliable. Since you're in New York, check out Tony Verderosa (Yamaha man living in the Big Apple).

Last edited by harryconway; 03-31-2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

Aydee.
Ya - the choices are hard sometimes. But, eDrums are a lot of fun. I've been playing around on a number of edrum set-up over the past few years....thinking about getting some too. The Yamaha use real drums for their samples whereas Rolands are electronic. The Rolands still sound pretty amazing. Whatever ekit you end up with you're going to have a lot of fun.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:48 AM
Gold Member

Escape From New York
Old 03-31-2009, 03:43 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks all you guys, will post pix n sounds when its up n running.

And will be hitting up Garvin & Harry for tech support.

Gmrakich, gimme a plan : )
Old 03-31-2009, 08:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshisaces View Post
I feel so dumb. I actually went to that website. :(
Sorry about that, my man:-)

Press here for my drums
Old 03-31-2009, 08:59 AM

I used one when I was in the same predicament as you. It was a Roland with the mesh heads and a TD-8 brain. It's quite fun when you first get it but the novelty quickly wore off. My main gripe was that while you can hear the music you can't feel it. It's not moving any air. The other thing was that every strike sounds clean and perfect unlike an acoustic set. Not dynamically as fun to play.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed having it. Tons of cool features. It was better than nothing and it served me well for 6 months. I bought it used and sold it to the bassist in LifeHouse for $100 less than I bought it for. (Some guy in a band I like came to my house and gave me money LOL). I'd buy another one if I lost my lockout space.

Also, the hi hat totally flippin blows. Use your acoustic one if you can.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:30 PM
Pioneer Member

Like has been mentioned above the one thing that will take getting used to is the drums pretty much all being the same size ( I think they are 12" ) but the mesh does give you a more "realistic" drum feel compared to the rubber pads. The cool thing is all the sound possibilities you will now have and experimenting with assigning them or layering them with other sounds. So a whole new world there is opened up. I'd love to be able to get one but the wallet just says it's not going to happen! :-(
Old 03-31-2009, 02:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica McCoy View Post
The other thing was that every strike sounds clean and perfect unlike an acoustic set. Not dynamically as fun to play....
Also, the hi hat totally flippin blows. Use your acoustic one if you can.

These are reasons why acoustic players loose interest in e-kits. I agree with these sentiments, but it also spurned me to discover things like how to map my hihat pedal differently and also how to find true acoustic samples that do have humanized dynamic ranges.

Even the TD-20, the top end Roland kit has essentially the same robotic feel in terms of sound. The benefit of the mesh head kits come from the pads. It doesn't matter which module you use. In my mind, as an acoustic kit player, you should plan on using that module only as an interface for external software. I have aTD-3, absolutely bottom end module, and stupid rubber pads which feel totally foreign, but the sounds I trigger are awesome and I would have no qualms about playing them live (provided I had a sub).
Old 04-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

In the everlasting words of Drew Barrymore in E.T.... They're here!

set em up.. figuring them out.....they're cool but..........." overwhelming".

and fun.. need a good amp, though ( whats a good sound for this rig? ).. any ideas where to go from here...where to get more sounds, better hi-ha action...( whoa.. the hat needs help! )

Any good headphone reccos?

Garvin, Harry.. help!

Need to get my dw 5000s going with this...

Name:  drum case 1.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  63.2 KB
Name:  drm case 2.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  76.7 KB
Name:  stand 1.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  87.3 KB
Name:  stand 2.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  98.8 KB
Name:  mesh drm.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  65.5 KB
Name:  set up.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  113.0 KB
Name:  set up 2.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  88.1 KB
Name:  td 9.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  88.5 KB
Name:  both kits.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  70.8 KB

Last edited by aydee; 04-11-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
LMBO!!!

Good choice in all seriousness. For those of us who are the huddled masses dwelling in apartments, e-kits are the next best thing. the Roland Vseries kits are really very nice btw.
I have used one do record a complete cd for a gospel band a couple years back and have to say that they were very cool and user friendly. The one I used was the TD-20 which is like 5k!

I have got my beautiful Gretsch Purewoods set up and staring at me longingly! Its tough not being able to play when you want to.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Its finally here!

set it up.. figuring it out.....its cool but..........." overwhelming".

and fun.. need a good amp ( whats a good sound for this rig? ).. any ideas where to go from here...where to get more, sounds, better hi-ha action...

Garvin, Harry.. help!

Need to get my dw 5000s going with this...

Attachment 25831
Attachment 25832
Attachment 25833
Attachment 25834
Attachment 25836
Attachment 25835
Attachment 25838
Attachment 25837
Attachment 25839

Very cool, congrats, but your yammies look so lonely over there! Which series are those by the way???
Old 04-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Those are Yamaha MCANs, the sweetest sounding drums ever made by man, and irreplaceable imo.

I needed an apartment building substitute for them. Thats the idea.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Administrator

AD looks like fun.. Every night at about 9 I wish I has some mesh pad ad some headphones. I would drum all night.
Did that all come in one box??
Old 04-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
AD looks like fun.. Every night at about 9 I wish I has some mesh pad ad some headphones. I would drum all night.
Did that all come in one box??
You got the picture, GD..its nice to keep the volume manageable or keep it totally personal with headphones.

Thats a huge plus, not to mention some of the patches which make you sound like you're playing to 50, 000 in Shea Stadium.

Glass of wine, close your eyes, and you're there : )
Old 04-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
.....need a good amp, though ( whats a good sound for this rig? ).. any ideas where to go from here... Harry.. help!
I have 2 Roland PM-1 (60 watt) units. Very versatile. I've run vocals, guitar, and bass thru them, as well. So if you get some cats over to the crib some night, you can jam. And "you" control the volume. No more "hey....mr. geetar player....for the 4th time....could you turn down pleeeeese!?!" You can jam at "portable radio volume" all the way up to "really piss off the neighbors volume". The PM-1 is no longer made, but you can still find them. I bought both of mine used. Currently, Roland makes the PM-10 (30 watts) and the PM-30 (200 watts). If you really want power, the Roland TDA-700 (300 watts), will scare people.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Those are Yamaha MCANs, the sweetest sounding drums ever made by man, and irreplaceable imo.

I needed an apartment building substitute for them. Thats the idea.
I know you did, just messing with you. ;-) Have fun with all the possiblities that the roland kit will open up. Not to mention now you can go "in the round" with your setup when you get a chance.........Oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Old 04-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Gold Member

That looks fun! It's the joys of getting a new drum set, and the joys of getting new electronics, blending together in one box!
Old 04-12-2009, 02:29 AM

Hey, Aydee. It's Chris (golions). I do have experience playing both: I play the E kit for our worship band in church; I play the MCA's for our 'road' band when we play festivals and retreats. I struggle with our E kit, so I am hoping you can help me when you get things settled in. We have the Roland TD20 in church. The thing that I just cannot establish is the 'feel' of the E kit. For example, I can't get a good hi hat wash, or a good snare rim shot, or a nice sounding ride cymbal. Our module has tons of choices (heads, sizes, etc.), so that's good. I just do not get the feedback I need when I strike a cymbal or the hi hats. Give me some pointers when you have it mastered. I'm sure it's my inability to get it right. But, for me, it's nothing like playing my MCA's. Please keep in touch on this one. I would very much like your input.

Chris
Old 04-12-2009, 05:09 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys!

Harry, the 100 Roland sounds appropriate. the 300 might cause window damage,eh?

Chris, I hear you on the hi hat. Its too early for me to comment because I've just had one go at it last night, but yes they feel less than satisfactory.

Harry & Garvin are the resident gurus on the subject and a lot more qualified to give you the right advice, but i'll keep u posted on my progress.

I'm okay with the feel. You just have to get it into your head that this isn't a drumkit, its a different instrument. Try extremely light sticks if the bounce is getting to you.

Agree on the "Nothing like MCAs". What a kit man!! Its an old story now but I still cant get over it ; )

Old 04-12-2009, 06:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
In the everlasting words of Drew Barrymore in E.T.... They're here!
Dear Abe,

You're screwing up one of my favorite movies and actresses. (Drew Barrymore - Ack! I almost had her. Damn rehab.) That line was from Heather O'Rourke in Poltergeist. See how the Edrums are slowly eating at your faculties? Mwuhaha! See you soon.

Love,

Satan

P.S. I was very inspired by that movie, American cinema is so creative. I mean what they did with a clown and a tree is beyond even my darkest imagination.

Press here for my drums
Old 04-12-2009, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
P.S. I was very inspired by that movie, American cinema is so creative. .
This lad needs help, Mr. Kurasawa..

Sorry, Drew Barrymore's cuter so my addled memory naturally veers towards her.

To really appreciate the essence of American cinema, you need to get some Cheech & Chong dvds..
Old 04-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I have 2 Roland PM-1 (60 watt) units. Very versatile. I've run vocals, guitar, and bass thru them, as well. So if you get some cats over to the crib some night, you can jam. And "you" control the volume. No more "hey....mr. geetar player....for the 4th time....could you turn down pleeeeese!?!" You can jam at "portable radio volume" all the way up to "really piss off the neighbors volume". The PM-1 is no longer made, but you can still find them. I bought both of mine used. Currently, Roland makes the PM-10 (30 watts) and the PM-30 (200 watts). If you really want power, the Roland TDA-700 (300 watts), will scare people.
Utterly with you on this one Harry. Roland make great, versatile and reliable gear - as you know with your new kit.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Pioneer Member

Aydee, I've checked out the PM-10 and PM-30. They are both fine amps, it just depends on your volume needs. Roland does make great gear.

As far as the alternate sounds go, check out www.toontrack.com awesome software for acoustic samples. I got EZdrummer with several of the plugins. It sounds awesome, but I am waiting for Superior 2.0 right now. That is the mother of all acoustic sample programs. Watch the video on the toontrack website.

Then all you need to do is run one midi cable out from your module into an IO or whatever you use to get sound into your computer (you should have a midi in out on that). Then use whatever your favorite DAW is, which supports VST's and you are good to go.

Last edited by Garvin; 04-13-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Gold Member

Hey Abe,

Congrats on the new toy...let us know how this one goes. It looks nice and will keep you in the fix while you are in NYC.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
Aydee, I've checked out the PM-10 and PM-30. They are both fine amps, it just depends on your volume needs. Roland does make great gear.
Got it. It'll probably be the PM 30.. if its amped, it might as well kick!

Quote:
As far as the alternate sounds go, check out www.toontrack.com awesome software for acoustic samples. I got EZdrummer with several of the plugins. It sounds awesome, but I am waiting for Superior 2.0 right now. That is the mother of all acoustic sample programs. Watch the video on the toontrack website.
Thanks for this Garvin, will chk out. Might PM you to see if I can rig up my sound module racks to midi thru this stuff. What happens if I run synth pads, guitar patches thru mesh pads?

Quote:
Then all you need to do is run one midi cable out from your module into an IO or whatever you use to get sound into your computer (you should have a midi in out on that). Then use whatever your favorite DAW is, which supports VST's and you are good to go.
I've got myself a macbook pro ( ouch! ) just for this purpose. Whats a good sound card to handle the stuff were talking about?

Thanks a ton, guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhead61 View Post
Hey Abe,

Congrats on the new toy...let us know how this one goes. It looks nice and will keep you in the fix while you are in NYC.
Will do Jim, not an easy transition mentally.. ( doesn't help that I'm somewhat of an electronic idiot )
Old 04-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Pioneer Member

The macbook is ready out of the box Aydee... I don't even know anything about soundcards and I run Reason, Logic, Ableton, and Garageband of course.

You can use your mesh triggers for anything. If you have samples, all the triggers do is send a signal to the program to tell it which sample to play. There are mapping issues you get into there, but i really don't mess around with that since the roland kits are basically setup for plug and play use.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The macbook is ready out of the box Aydee... I don't even know anything about soundcards and I run Reason, Logic, Ableton, and Garageband of course.

You can use your mesh triggers for anything. If you have samples, all the triggers do is send a signal to the program to tell it which sample to play. There are mapping issues you get into there, but i really don't mess around with that since the roland kits are basically setup for plug and play use.
I've used Logic and Cubase, though I'm told Reason is ideal for drums/perc stuff..

Ya, I guess it'll be some trail & error on the mapping issues and midi delays/ waveform shapes etc..

fun times in Aydeeville.. I'll pick your brains soon : )