DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-07-2009, 07:26 PM

Default New Heads -> no clue ;)

Hey guys I need ur help...
I still have the old heads that came with my sonor force 3001 on it and it really is time now to get some new heads.
And i gotta admit i have no clue whats goin on with all those different possibilities.

My kit is black and i would love to get black heads, but only if they sounds as good as the normal ones!
I play mostly rock with my band and my favourite genre is classic rock, that kinda old school metal ... i love it.
I already got new bassdrum heads a while ago -> evans emad and i'm pretty pleased with them.

So what I'm looking for are (classic) rock heads for my toms (3) and for my snare.
I'm not a heavy hitter and i dont care about remo or evans or another as long as it sounds best for the music i'm playin.
I would prefer black heads but as i just said...the sound matters more than the looks to me.

So pls help me ;) ... i know u guys can :)
Old 04-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: New Heads -> no clue ;)

Evans has the Hyraulics in Black ( low and dead sounding) they also have a new head called Onyx which I know nothing about but... look somewhere down below this thread and you will see another thread about the Onyx head. From Remo, the Black Pinstripes would work for what you want.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:01 PM

Personally for what you play and for what you say you are into i would go with the Remo Black Pinstripes for all the toms. They sound amazing and get that amazing tone you want. I play metal and rock and i have those on my black kit. It looks quite good especially live, and sounds amazing. If you like to dampen your drum which i do for metal it is good to have black heads because you can put the dampener on the inside and save it from looking like crap on the outside and no one will be the wiser. It takes longer to get the right sound but is worth it in my opinion. For the snare i went with a Remo coated Controlled Sound with a reverse black dot. Its not black but looks good in contrast with all the toms. Another good skin to try is the Remo Controlled sound clear for the toms with a black dot. It looks good and gets quite a good tone without dampening. I know evans has a couple black heads but im not to sure about them. I stick with Remo know. Anyways hope that helped
Old 04-08-2009, 03:31 PM

hey guys thx for your fast answer.
the remo ebony pinstripes seem to be what i'm lookin for i'll check out those.
But what should i use as resonant head?? Or are the ebony pinstripes always comin with resonant heads?
Old 04-08-2009, 03:42 PM

You can get plain Remo Ebony Ambassadors as your resos if you like. They're slightly thinner than the Pinstripes (10 mil vs. 10 + 5 mil 2 ply). and should create for some nice resonance.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swol335i View Post
You can get plain Remo Ebony Ambassadors as your resos if you like. They're slightly thinner than the Pinstripes (10 mil vs. 10 + 5 mil 2 ply). and should create for some nice resonance.
Ebony Ambassadors are a great head for bottoms. I used them for years. I still have them as bottoms on 2 of my sets.