DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Anne Beeche's Avatar
Anne Beeche Anne Beeche is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 104
Default A Maine drummer who makes perfectly matched sticks?

When I carried my sticks into my Biology class one day, my teacher told me about how she heard on TV about this drummer in Maine who started his own little stick manufacturing company.

It all started when one day he dropped a bunch of sticks on the floor, and noticed they all hit the floor with a different pitch. He thought it was ridiculous that the sticks didn't match each other, so he decided to make his own sticks that did.

Thing is, my teacher couldn't remember his last name. I think his first name was Steve or something, and his surname started with a P or B. If any of you guys know who I'm talking about, please let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-05-2009, 02:55 AM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida's West Coast
Posts: 15,578
Default Re: A Maine drummer who makes perfectly matched sticks?

I can understand the length, diameter and weight being the same or very close, but the pitch of the wood, I have never understood this??
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Gretsch Renown
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Wavelength's Avatar
Wavelength Wavelength is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,081
Default Re: A Maine drummer who makes perfectly matched sticks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I can understand the length, diameter and weight being the same or very close, but the pitch of the wood, I have never understood this??
A few months back I bought a pack of sticks. The interval between the lowest and highest pitched sticks was (and is) a perfect fifth. Different sounding sticks will give very different cymbal and rim click sounds. This could cause fairly serious problems if you're recording in the studio and you happen to use different sounding stickgs on different takes of the same song.
__________________
I play Kumu Drums. I also shoot videos.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-05-2009, 04:16 PM
ermghoti ermghoti is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 647
Default Re: A Maine drummer who makes perfectly matched sticks?

Silver Fox pitch-match their sticks, after rolling and weight-matching. I saw a video of the sorting process online somewhere.. At least one of the big manufacturers does as well, but I can't remember which.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-05-2009, 04:39 PM
drummn.com drummn.com is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Default Re: A Maine drummer who makes perfectly matched sticks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Beeche View Post
When I carried my sticks into my Biology class one day, my teacher told me about how she heard on TV about this drummer in Maine who started his own little stick manufacturing company.
That would be Mr. Vic Firth. He grew up in Maine and opened his drumstick factory there. He actually graduated from the same high school I did!

Here's the video of a tour of the factory, later in the video you can see the pitch matching process. It's very thorough!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pL5E...rom=PL&index=7
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-05-2009, 05:50 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida's West Coast
Posts: 15,578
Default Re: A Maine drummer who makes perfectly matched sticks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
A few months back I bought a pack of sticks. The interval between the lowest and highest pitched sticks was (and is) a perfect fifth. Different sounding sticks will give very different cymbal and rim click sounds. This could cause fairly serious problems if you're recording in the studio and you happen to use different sounding stickgs on different takes of the same song.
That would make sense. I was thinking of drum sounds and not cymbals. I stand corrected.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Gretsch Renown
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Anne Beeche's Avatar
Anne Beeche Anne Beeche is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 104
Default Re: A Maine drummer who makes perfectly matched sticks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummn.com View Post
That would be Mr. Vic Firth. He grew up in Maine and opened his drumstick factory there. He actually graduated from the same high school I did!

Here's the video of a tour of the factory, later in the video you can see the pitch matching process. It's very thorough!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pL5E...rom=PL&index=7
Oh wow! Small world eh? I guess my teacher got the name completely wrong.

Dude, I already love his practice pads.

My first pair of sticks (which I still use right now) are a crappy pair where one stick is darker, and has a deeper tone on my pad than the other. I haven't tried it on any actual percussion, but I'm sure the story is the same.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com