DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 10-31-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Dude, Rock Band!

hey guys, i don't know if this belongs here, but i was just wondering what you tought of the game rock band. the game is kind of like gitar hero meets singstar with drums thrown in for good mesure. i personaly think it looks way awesome, the tought of the great gameplay from gitar hero combined with the rad fun that we all know drumming is, this has to be awesome. this link has more info on the game: http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/puzzle/r...result;title;0
Old 10-31-2007, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Dude, Rock Band!

i think this may belong in the off topic part of the forum,but other than that man im excited about this game! finnally a half way decent drum peripheral for a music game.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:16 PM

yeah i have sen this not a big games guy cant afford them and druming but i hear the hardest setting is just like playing the drums i doubt that but it coluld probaly help with your timing maybe
Old 10-31-2007, 11:50 PM
Gold Member

Personally, i'm not a big fan. Why buy a game where I can sort-of, but not really, play a pseudo-electronic drum set when i can just walk another 2 feet over from my TV and play a real electronic or acoustic kit to music with far more accuracy... maybe I'm being a downer, but thats how I see it.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk9290 View Post
Personally, i'm not a big fan. Why buy a game where I can sort-of, but not really, play a pseudo-electronic drum set when i can just walk another 2 feet over from my TV and play a real electronic or acoustic kit to music with far more accuracy... maybe I'm being a downer, but thats how I see it.
Apparently you haven't played Guitar Hero and understand what the game is like.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Well, what about those kids who don't have electric kits or even drums? I think they out number us drummers, don't you? Besides this game mainly appeals to the members of the public who don't play intruments.

Surprisingly, I'm not a fan of this game either - call me grumpy, but I think this'll encourage kids into drumming for all the reasons - getting them hyped up thinking by playing drums they can impress chicks, become a rockstar easily, etc.

Then they'll see how it's not all as easy as the actual game and involves alot more in depth study, lots of practise and commitment (if they want to ever achieve something with it), resulting in them either becoming a poor drummer or just giving up.

Maybe that's a bit far-fetched, but still - I'm not really keen on the idea of being able to play drums if you can hit a few pads with a stick in time with a screen. Needless to say, many people will be dissapointed when they see the real thing.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Pioneer Member

Or it will just further the myth that drumming is "easy" *rolls eyes*

But I see no real harm in it. If its good fun and gets people into it then I'm all for it!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:01 AM

Heh, you know, all the (good) guitar/bass players I know rather the real thing over the game. So I wouldn't think the drummers would like the play the "drumming" (if you call hitting the pads with mediocre accuracy and getting an "excellent!", drumming) portion of the game.

I don't like these kind of games because it makes people think that they can be good musicians. I know four people who bought a guitar and an amp (that's a substantial amount of money!) and wanted to learn how to play real guitar when they were very good at the game. They were mostly depressed at how hard playing real guitar is, and three of them gave up. Only one guy I know (my friend Chris) kept trying to learn, and he isn't even that good (he can only play the most basic songs). I mean, I jammed with him once (to be a friend, ya know?), but he asked me to be in a band, and got mad at me when I said no.

My theory is that the music industry's just trying to get a little boost in their sales... Think about it, how many people do you think were turned on to popular artists like Rush, Rage, Buckethead, Lamb of God, etc.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
Apparently you haven't played Guitar Hero and understand what the game is like.
yeah, i have, i've just never gotten into it. i find playing real instruments so much more enjoyable, those games just frustrate me, and even if I do well on them theres no feeling of accomplishment.
I know it might inspire some people, but i'm not going to be able deal with all the people who are going to say they can drum to the songs and are just as good, because I know some of my guitarist friends have dealt with that from Guitar Hero I, II, III.

I'm not saying it will be a bad game, it just doesn't appeal to me.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:22 AM
Silver Member

Epic FAIL!

Yeah, dude, when i play music I want to play music that was previously made and I want my drumming to be set! I don't want the chance to add my own originality to the drumming or add my own fills. That's what I want in a game, to play someone else's crap note by note.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:26 AM
Silver Member

I think it's a good thing actually. I think it has potential to inspire younger people to start playing an instrument. I was actually inspired to play real guitar when I started playing Guitar Hero.

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 03-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
yeah, i have, i've just never gotten into it. i find playing real instruments so much more enjoyable, those games just frustrate me, and even if I do well on them theres no feeling of accomplishment.
+3. I mean what's the point? You spend hours, days, months learning to play it on expert then once you've completed it it's just like any other game, you get bored of it and buy the next piece of crap to come on the market for your PS3 or other stupid console. That's time that could have been spent playing a REAL musical instrument and getting actual skills that you WON'T just become bored of the next day.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:04 PM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
+3. I mean what's the point? You spend hours, days, months learning to play it on expert then once you've completed it it's just like any other game, you get bored of it and buy the next piece of crap to come on the market for your PS3 or other stupid console. That's time that could have been spent playing a REAL musical instrument and getting actual skills that you WON'T just become bored of the next day.
We...

have a winner, folks!!

Dude, you're clairvoyant! Wow. ;-)
Old 03-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

i don't like the drums in rockband because it's not music. there's no feel, rythem and no creativity - you just hit the buttons to win the game instead of pushing them.

music is all about creativity, passion and expression of self - rockband is just another video game.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:19 AM

You saved me the embarrassment of making a Guitar Hero thread. Thank you.

Never played Rock Band (and I've heard those drums are flimsy), but I actually play guitar hero, and it's kinda fun (for people who can't play guitar or Tom Morello). I can't get any higher than medium, though, because the fret buttons really hurt my fingers.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:26 AM

Yeah well, I played rock band today.

It's fun, but it's not the same. You only follow a pattern, you're not making music, and I feel the drums and cymbals are somewhat irresponsive.

and I LOST! How is it possible?? I couldn't finish Alive from pearl jam, but I can play the groove of that song on my drums any day of the week.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Beeche View Post
I can't get any higher than medium, though, because the fret buttons really hurt my fingers.

Real guitar definitely isn't for you then....
Old 04-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Yeah well, I played rock band today.

It's fun, but it's not the same. You only follow a pattern, you're not making music, and I feel the drums and cymbals are somewhat irresponsive.

and I LOST! How is it possible?? I couldn't finish Alive from pearl jam, but I can play the groove of that song on my drums any day of the week.
It's because there is a delay between where the drums are on the song and when you actually hit it so anyone who usually plays on the beat won't be able to play properly.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
My sentiments exactly. There is enough phoney in the world now. learn to do the real thing. It's like a reality show. There is not one thing REAL about them.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:58 PM

I really think Rock Band will help you with the drumming basics, like timing, simple rolls, learning to keep your feet independent from your hands, etc. It's just your choice if you want to take it a step further and actually learn the real thing. I made the right choice of taking it further :)
Old 04-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetaru View Post
I really think Rock Band will help you with the drumming basics, like timing, simple rolls, learning to keep your feet independent from your hands, etc. It's just your choice if you want to take it a step further and actually learn the real thing. I made the right choice of taking it further :)
It doesn't give you better timing though because of the aformentioned delay problems.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Real guitar definitely isn't for you then....
Actually, real guitar isn't a problem for me when it comes to cramps. I'm just bad at it so I avoid playing it.

See, the GH controller is only 75% the size of its Les Paul counterpart, and it takes more pressure to press the frets on the controller than on a real electric guitar. That's probably why the ctroller cramps me up where a real guitar doesn't.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Beeche View Post
Actually, real guitar isn't a problem for me when it comes to cramps. I'm just bad at it so I avoid playing it.

See, the GH controller is only 75% the size of its Les Paul counterpart, and it takes more pressure to press the frets on the controller than on a real electric guitar. That's probably why the ctroller cramps me up where a real guitar doesn't.
you must have some light strings!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
It doesn't give you better timing though because of the aformentioned delay problems.
Well, actually, for me there's really no delay. Blame your TV/game and calibrate it lol. I've actually memorized a couple of charts (Inside the Fire and Scream Aim Fire on GHWT), played them with either the TV off or on Performance mode and played solely by ear. I did pass the songs with scores close to when I can look at the charts.

With real drums, it was quite easy for me to transition from 5 "gems" to a real kit. I blame the waiting in between classes... I sit in my car air drumming to songs.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetaru View Post
Well, actually, for me there's really no delay. Blame your TV/game and calibrate it lol. I've actually memorized a couple of charts (Inside the Fire and Scream Aim Fire on GHWT), played them with either the TV off or on Performance mode and played solely by ear. I did pass the songs with scores close to when I can look at the charts.

With real drums, it was quite easy for me to transition from 5 "gems" to a real kit. I blame the waiting in between classes... I sit in my car air drumming to songs.
I don't need to calbrate it because i don't play it. Anyway the guy was talking about rockband not guitar hero world tour.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Pioneer Member

These arguments always seem a little redundant, given that we still lack the holy grail - a guy who can play drums well having learnt from Rock Band...
Old 04-06-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
you must have some light strings!
I guess. I don't know. I'm not a guitarist.

All I know is that the GH controller gives me cramps and the real guitar (both acoustic and electric) doesn't.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:06 PM

I played through the first three gigs on Rock Band On Expert, with an average of 80%, sight treading, my first time playing, in one sitting! I felt pretty accomplished. It was fun, because its a video game. People seem to overlook the actual gaming aspects of RB and GH, just because they have instrument shaped controllers. There's a sense of accomplishment of completing gigs, customizing stuff, beating your opponent, etc.

Last edited by genericdrummingusername; 04-06-2009 at 11:06 PM. Reason: sigh+t=sight