DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-30-2009, 08:55 AM

Default Guitar set up

I know this has nothing to do with drum equipment, but here's some pics of my guitar.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Guitar set up

Nice! Is that an 'SE' sign I see on the PRS? Most interesting. It looks like a more expensive one, what is the model name? I have a PRS Santana SE and recently de-finished it and installed a killswitch. I'm going to be doing more to it (didn't do a perfect job, but it feels nicer without the finish) and I'm in the middle of installing a killswitch on my strat. Nice looking setups there!
Old 03-30-2009, 03:23 PM

ah dude!
I really dig those stacks you got there
I haven't been able to get my hands on one (spending all my money on drums haha)
but just sweet rig there man!
Old 03-30-2009, 06:38 PM

Thanks guys.

The bottom pic was my second stack and second guitar. I was on a quest for gain, lol. That Les Paul there I took the main pickup out and wired in an EMG active for more sensitivity.
The 5150 peavey is a powerhouse and I never had to turn it past half way at my gigs. I used to have a Marshall jcm900 but I sold it because my friend offered to sell me this one for $700.

Yep, its a PRS se model. It's Paul Allender's from Cradle of Filth. It wasn't expensive, under $800 with tax I think. I've owned a couple of Gibsons, they usually sell for over a grand in stores. Gibsons have always been solid guitars, reliable but some of the money you pay goes to the fact that it's built in America.

Last edited by Infernal Valkyrie; 03-30-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:28 PM

gibsons are a very solid guitar
but I kinda think they're too generic and I like to blaze trails a little with my guitars haha
and since I've been seeing all of the same guitars EVERYWHERE I look, I decided to design my own guitar to build and customize
I had a guy who I met through my brother who builds some help me with it
and it turner out pretty sweet!
I'll post a picture in a little bit cuz I have no time right now
Old 03-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I'm in the middle of installing killswitches on both of my electrics, unfortunately I'm having some problems with my Strat (dodgy switches amongst other things) but the PRS is working nicely.

Gibson do make a great guitar, but I also like to look for oddities. A friend of mine has Gibson ES-345 from the 70's in Walnut. Just about the most beautiful guitar I've ever had the chance to play. Part of me wants a 70's Strat for the fact that I could do some work to it and not feel like I was committing a crime on an old guitar.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I'm in the middle of installing killswitches on both of my electrics, unfortunately I'm having some problems with my Strat (dodgy switches amongst other things) but the PRS is working nicely.

Gibson do make a great guitar, but I also like to look for oddities. A friend of mine has Gibson ES-345 from the 70's in Walnut. Just about the most beautiful guitar I've ever had the chance to play. Part of me wants a 70's Strat for the fact that I could do some work to it and not feel like I was committing a crime on an old guitar.
Killswitch, huh? Gonna be playing some Buckethead?
Old 04-01-2009, 02:41 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericdrummingusername View Post
Killswitch, huh? Gonna be playing some Buckethead?
Hell no. I tend to play with rather precise volume settings (at the moment I've only got a clean amp whilst I'm away from Uni for a month and I'm playing a lot of fingerstyle stuff that is dependent on different volume settings for tone - no separate gain channel on the amp either) and when I put my guitar down for a minute, I hate having to change the volume down - I'd rather keep it at the same setting. So effectively I'm just using it as an on/off. Same when I'm recording, I turn all my guitars down when I'm recording, but the volume pot is at a precise level, so having a mute switch is very handy. Will also be handy if I start doing more gigs.

And it also opens up some interesting Johnny Greenwood style stuff, I really don't like Buckethead much at all. I'm much more from the 'non shredding' style of guitar playing and I'm also old-fashioned in that I use a lot of extended voicings (at the moment anyway) so combining the two is quite interesting. I'm also having to write a piece of work in Max/MSP for next term at Uni (for presentation) and it might be an idea to have some killswitch play in that as well.

It's an easy mod. Just an SPDT switch (on-on, single throw) and solder up the 'live' output (from the volume pot/tone pot) to one terminal, the live output to another (to the jack) and the ground (to the jack) to the other terminal. Then obviously join the loose earths together. All it does is re-route the live signal to the ground so it doesn't go into the jack tip. Really, really easy.

EDIT: Got the killswitch on the Strat. Bypassed the tone controls as well - I realise now how much a part the volume control *really* plays. The tone controls are largely irrelevant, the volume control shapes the tone far, far more.

Last edited by Mediocrefunkybeat; 04-01-2009 at 08:40 PM.