DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

Default Double bass pedal tension.

Does anyone else find that the spring tension on your slave pedal should be set looser in order to match tension on your main pedal. I have a dw4002 double and I'm trying to adjust the tension so both pedals are equal, I have matched both pedals so the resistance and velocity are the same but when I look at the pedals (from pedal view) I see that the slave is set looser than the main. I used my right hand to feel and tweak the springs, so its got nothing to do with my left foot being weaker.
Would it have to do with the linkeage running from the slave to the main?
Has anyone else experienced this on any other or similar double pedals?
Old 03-30-2009, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Double bass pedal tension.

Yeh i have had a lot of problems with my pearl double bass pedal and i dont defenatly know what it is i THINK that it is to do with the left leg being the weeker leg but i dont know so im gonna wait for any replies cos im just as puzzled as you,

Sorry if that was no help lol
Old 03-30-2009, 11:52 PM
Silver Member

The slave pedal has to carry the extra weight of the linkage, the tension will end up different to feel the same.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:51 AM
Silver Member

I thought it had to do with the linkage but wasn't sure. If anyone else can attest please do so. thanks
Old 03-31-2009, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggo32 View Post
Does anyone else find that the spring tension on your slave pedal should be set looser in order to match tension on your main pedal. I have a dw4002 double and I'm trying to adjust the tension so both pedals are equal, I have matched both pedals so the resistance and velocity are the same but when I look at the pedals (from pedal view) I see that the slave is set looser than the main. I used my right hand to feel and tweak the springs, so its got nothing to do with my left foot being weaker.
Would it have to do with the linkeage running from the slave to the main?
Has anyone else experienced this on any other or similar double pedals?

You don't want to 'match' the tension of the slave pedal to the primary (bass drum) pedal.
Ideally, you want to match the tension to your foot. Try making the slave a little tighter. The added tension may make it easier to play.

Having the beaters 'line-up' perfectly and spring tension 'match' might not benefit your playing. No doubt your primary bass drum foot is more developed, The slave needs to be 'dialed in' to your foot, which may mean the beater is closer or farther away from the head, and/or the spring tension might not be the same as the primary pedal.