DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 05-17-2008, 04:57 PM

Default Riolo Kit Build (work in progress)

I had been thinking of getting a new kit for a while now. I've been playing on the same early-70's 3-ply Ludwig kit for about 20 years. The drums still sound great, but I always wanted something a little smaller than the Bonham-sized Ludwigs I have. I had been looking at mid-level kits maple in the $1500-$2000 range, like the Gretsch Renowns and the new Pacific Platinums and was pretty darn close to buying a Gretsch set. However, I've always been something of a lurker at the drum building sites like Ghostnote and Drumshed.org and have always thought it would be cool to build something myself.

Well, after following Gruntersdad's thread about his picolo snare build I was inspired to make the plunge and go ahead and build one myself. I knew of Riolo's drum company as a supplier of shells and parts but didn't realize that drilling and edges were free if you bought the hardware. Given that all the "hard" stuff is done for you, I figured this would be the bast way to go. Thanks, Gruntersdad, for being the inspiration and pointing out that Riolo does the drilling and edges for free (that was pretty much the deciding factor for me).

So, here's the first pic of my beast in progess...the shells all sanded up to 400-grit and ready for finishing. Doesn't look like much yet, I know :)

Old 05-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Riolo Kit Build (work in progress)

The shells look great and I wish you luck in your build. My only advice is to take your time. Once the stain goes on it doesn't come off. Any ideas on the finish you want?
I would also suggest fining a spot with low humidity to let the different coats dry. Oh yeah....have fun.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
The shells look great and I wish you luck in your build. My only advice is to take your time. Once the stain goes on it doesn't come off. Any ideas on the finish you want?
I would also suggest fining a spot with low humidity to let the different coats dry. Oh yeah....have fun.
As for the finish, I'm going with a black walnut colored Danish oil followed by Minwax tung oil finish, then maybe some poly for protection.

I had ordered a bunch of Keller cut-off scraps for testing finishes to find one I like. The following practice shell ended up being what I liked and am going with for the kit. Its got 4 coats of the Watco Black Walnut Danish oil followed by 7 coats of Minwax Tung Oil Finish. I was originally going to go for a satin finish, but I really like the gloss that developed with coats of the tung product...so I think I'm gonna go glossy. The color looks a bit darker brown in-person, and the pic doesn't capture how glossy it is.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Love to see those Bonham sized Luddies you have. I'll assume you mean 26, 14, 16, 18. Consider this perhaps. Since now, you are an official, drum builder/refinisher/assembler guy, get a Luddie 20, 12, 14. 14 being a floor tom. Or a 22, 12, 13 (you already have the 16). Certainly cost you no more than you'd spend for a "new" kit, and you'd wind up with a 7 drums for all occasions kind of thing.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Love to see those Bonham sized Luddies you have. I'll assume you mean 26, 14, 16, 18. Consider this perhaps. Since now, you are an official, drum builder/refinisher/assembler guy, get a Luddie 20, 12, 14. 14 being a floor tom. Or a 22, 12, 13 (you already have the 16). Certainly cost you no more than you'd spend for a "new" kit, and you'd wind up with a 7 drums for all occasions kind of thing.
I don't have any great pics of the old Ludwigs. Here's some shots from band practice.

The kit has a 26" bass, 14" and 15" rack-toms, and an 18" floor tom. Not the exact Bonham config, but similarly large-sized is what I was getting at. The kit was originally wrapped in black, but lots of gigging and borrowing-out of the kit back in college got it pretty marred up. An old band-mate had refinished the kit with a paint job in his autobody shop with a black orange with silver sparklies.

I've never felt as comfortable at my big Ludwig kit as I have on other, smaller-sized kits that I've had a chance to sit down at. Kinda funny. The drums have always just felt too-big to me. I bought a practice kit in the last year, a cheap Taye Rock-Pro (22, 12, 13, 16) that I outfitted with mesh heads, and I found the sizes with me just-right. It's almost as if the big Ludwigs are out-there-in-front-of-me and I prefer the feeling of sitting-up-and-over the kit a bit more.

My Riolo build matches the sizes of my Taye practice kit. Once my current Riolo project is finished and I can use them for band practice I plan on refinishing the Luddies in something a little more traditional, or perhaps just selling them.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:59 PM

Here's some pics as to how this kit is coming along. In the pics the shells are treated with 3 coats of Watco Black Walnut danish oil.

The oil finish really plays with the light. The figuring observed changes dramatically depending on the viewing angle. So far, I'm pretty happy with how things are looking. They are just the right shade of brown that I was looking for. I'm pleased that most of the shells possess some interesting grain/figuring...although the 13-incher is a bit more bland than the others in that regard.

I allowed the Danish oil to dry for about a week. I am now putting on layers of Minwax Tung Oil Finish. After I get the right look after 5 to 7 coats of that I'll let stuff cure for a few weeks and then start poly coating to hopefully get a real wet glossy look.

The 12-incher

The 13-Incher

16-Inch Floor Tom

22-Inch Bass Drum

All together now...
Old 05-25-2008, 01:56 AM
Administrator

Looks great to this point. Good JOb.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:52 AM
Platinum Member

Doing a good job so far, it will look nice & classy.

What's surprising me is your size choice, having the opportunity to go with your own, you decided to go with the old and much disliked now standard config. The good part though, it's since it's your own build, you can eventually build another tom in different size.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 05-25-2008, 04:13 AM
Platinum Member

Saw this post on ghost note, so I'll say what I said there.....

That has class. What hardware is going on? It's got so much class that only chrome would look appropriate. (even though you've already answered me)

Good job again.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
Saw this post on ghost note, so I'll say what I said there.....

That has class. What hardware is going on? It's got so much class that only chrome would look appropriate. (even though you've already answered me)

Good job again.
Yep, going chrome with beavertail lugs.

Regarding mind_drummer's comment on the size...yeah, they are pretty much the old classic rock kit sizing. If I like how stuff turns out I may do a 14-inch floor tom in the same finish and try out a 1-up, 2-down. We'll see.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puncturedsphere View Post

Regarding mind_drummer's comment on the size...yeah, they are pretty much the old classic rock kit sizing. If I like how stuff turns out I may do a 14-inch floor tom in the same finish and try out a 1-up, 2-down. We'll see.
You could have two other choice too.

Build a 10" tom which will bring it down to 10" - 13" - 16" (classic Funk)
Build a 18" which could then be 13" up & 16" + 18" down (heavy pounding Rock)

My Kit Latest Update
Old 05-25-2008, 05:50 AM
Platinum Member

or he could do both! =)...haha...

very good looking man! always wanted to build a kit myself...i will one day.....

how much did this set you back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
You could have two other choice too.

Build a 10" tom which will bring it down to 10" - 13" - 16" (classic Funk)
Build a 18" which could then be 13" up & 16" + 18" down (heavy pounding Rock)
Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 05-25-2008, 06:02 AM
Gold Member

Your new kit looks amazing. Someday, I will do what you are doing. If they cut the edges and do the drilling, doing the finish will be fun.

Excuse my ignorance, but do they have all kinds of colors in the oil you are doing? I would probably do some off the wall color like red and really gloss the sucker up.

Congrats on the beautiful kit. I can't wait to see the final product.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:15 AM
Platinum Member

it would be cheaper than the route your taking...buying, selling, buying, selling...hhahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
Someday, I will do what you are doing.
Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 05-25-2008, 06:19 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangleman View Post
it would be cheaper than the route your taking...buying, selling, buying, selling...hhahah

Alex
Believe it or not, I don't lose much money. I actually sold my Bonham kit for more than I paid. I really hold out for GREAT deals.

My wife wouldn't agree with me though.

Point taken though!!!!
Old 05-25-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but do they have all kinds of colors in the oil you are doing? I would probably do some off the wall color like red and really gloss the sucker up.
The Watco Danish oil I used comes in various shades of brown. But there are various dyes and stains you can use to get pretty much any color.

Bojangleman asked about the cost. It came out to $1k including shipping for the shells and all the hardware. I'm not really doing it for any cost savings, I've just always been a DIY kinda guy. I like having projects to fiddle around with and the warm-fuzzies associated with doing stuff myself. Next time I'd probably just do my own drilling and bearing edges, I'd just need to add a router to my tool collection.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Last edited by puncturedsphere; 05-25-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

ohh...ok...well...thats good!...ha

Quote:
Believe it or not, I don't lose much money. I actually sold my Bonham kit for more than I paid. I really hold out for GREAT deals.

My wife wouldn't agree with me though.

Point taken though!!!!

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 05-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
As in Rogers beavertail lugs?
Old 05-27-2008, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
As in Rogers beavertail lugs?
I think they are reproductions of the beavertails from some older make. I thought Slingerland, but maybe Rogers. Here's a pic from Drum Foundry's site.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:26 AM
Gold Member

psphere,
I'm really liking the progress on this kit. Those lugs will look real classy. I like your DIY attitude.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 05-31-2008, 03:30 PM

Gruntersdad's new snare build inspired my to put up latest pics of my build.

I put 5 applications of Minwax Tung Oil Finish on to bring out the depth. A bit of gloss has developed and I really like how the Tung Oil Finish gives a glow to the wood. The pics don't really do them justice, likely a combination of my poor photography skills and cruddy lighting in my basement.

Now I'm gonna wait two more weeks for the Tung Finish to cure then go with wipe-on poly for gloss.

I'm pretty pleased with how stuff is looking. I am a tad disappointed in the 13" tom. The 13" shell just doesn't have the interesting grain and figuring as the rest of them. Oh well!

The Set

12" Tom

13" Tom

16" Floor Tom

22" Bass Drum

Last edited by puncturedsphere; 06-02-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:43 PM

They look great!! Very nice work.

Did you get the shell all at one time? Some times when you get shells they come from a diffrent batch and the grain is not the same.

Are you doing anything with the inner shells?
Trick PRO1-V and Axis - pedals
Old 05-31-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhitter View Post
They look great!! Very nice work.

Did you get the shell all at one time? Some times when you get shells they come from a diffrent batch and the grain is not the same.

Are you doing anything with the inner shells?
Thanks.

Got them all at once, but I don't think he had a lot of 13" shells to choose from at the time.

I'm thinking I'll probably just do two apps of the Tung Oil Finish on the inside. Maybe I'll do that this weekend, actually. :)
Old 05-31-2008, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

I think it's great that I see so many people taking this route lately. There are so many advantages when you decide to go for the home build, especially if you're a DYI type of person. Can't wait to see the shells fully assembled.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:18 PM

I just noticed the hole placements. They did an awsome job. They will look great with the hardware on. The hardware placement on the shell's can make a shell look even better. They did a good job!
Trick PRO1-V and Axis - pedals
Old 05-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Gruntersdad's new snare build inspired my to put up latest pics of my build.

I put 5 applications of Minwax Tung Oil Finish on to bring out the depth. A bit of gloss has developed and I really like how the Tung Oil Finish gives a glow to the wood. The pics don't really do them justice, likely a combination of my poor photography skills and cruddy lighting in my basement.

Now I'm gonna wait two more weeks for the Tung Finish to cure then go with wipe-on poly for gloss.

I'm pretty pleased with how stuff is looking. I am a tad disappointed in the 13" tom. The 13" shell just doesn't have the interesting grain and figuring as the rest of them. Oh well!

The Set

12" Tom

13" Tom

16" Floor Tom

12" Bass Drum

they look mouthwatering bro.

dont forget when they become finished to shower us with drum porn!
Old 05-31-2008, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

One word: PERRRRTY!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 03:38 AM
Silver Member

The shells look fantastic I'm really looking forward to seeing the final product. I like your combinations of the black stain and classic lugs. What colour reso head are you going to put on the bass drum?
Old 06-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver View Post
What colour reso head are you going to put on the bass drum?
Anything but white would be blasphemous.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
Anything but white would be blasphemous.
Yeah, I'm going white for the bass drum head.

Heads are going to be Aquarian. White Resonator with small offset hole on the bass, Superkick II on the bass batter. Texture-coated single-plys on on the tom batters, and Classic Clears on the tom reso sides. I was hoping to get the white gloss classic clears for the tom resos, Aquarians website says they offer them in white, but I can only seem to find them in clear or black at the vendors I've checked out thus far.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:15 AM
Platinum Member

very nice, cant wait to see the completed.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 06-02-2008, 03:54 AM
Administrator

I can't wait to hear the 12" bass drum. Don't you just hate typos.
Did you use a brush for the Tung Oil or a rag?? On my last snare re-finish I discovered that by using 4 x 4 sterile gauze to wipe on the poly clear I avoided brush marks and made the scuffing between clear coats go a lot faster. Just a tip to try some time.

Edit....I would love to find a product to use, or make, for my own badges for these builds.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I can't wait to hear the 12" bass drum. Don't you just hate typos.
Did you use a brush for the Tung Oil or a rag?? On my last snare re-finish I discovered that by using 4 x 4 sterile gauze to wipe on the poly clear I avoided brush marks and made the scuffing between clear coats go a lot faster. Just a tip to try some time.

Edit....I would love to find a product to use, or make, for my own badges for these builds.
Haha. Nice catch on my typo. Got it all fixed now.

I used a rag to put the Tung Oil Finish on. The product gets wiped off/buffed after 5 to 10 minutes so there isn't really anything to worry about with brush marks, sags, etc. I've never done the wipe-on poly before, and I know its gonna be a bit less forgiving than the tung application so I am a bit nervous about that. I was planning on using paper towels or shop wipes to do the poly application in thin coats, but the gauze pad is a good idea and is a good size.

I thought I remember reading something on Ghostnote about making badges and embedding them in the poly layer, which seems feasible for the do-it-yourselfer. I don't remeber any details though.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Be careful with the paper towels and shop rags with the lint. Also not to be confusing but I didn't use the wipe on poly, but regular poly but used the gauze instead of a brush. Rubber gloves of course helped. Because the poly is not water based the glove and gause were of course expendable.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Here's some pics as to how this kit is coming along. In the pics the shells are treated with 3 coats of Watco Black Walnut danish oil.

The oil finish really plays with the light. The figuring observed changes dramatically depending on the viewing angle. So far, I'm pretty happy with how things are looking. They are just the right shade of brown that I was looking for. I'm pleased that most of the shells possess some interesting grain/figuring...although the 13-incher is a bit more bland than the others in that regard.

I allowed the Danish oil to dry for about a week. I am now putting on layers of Minwax Tung Oil Finish. After I get the right look after 5 to 7 coats of that I'll let stuff cure for a few weeks and then start poly coating to hopefully get a real wet glossy look.

The 12-incher

The 13-Incher

16-Inch Floor Tom

22-Inch Bass Drum

All together now...
Hi , I am planing to make a similar proyect , but I need some help!!!!

I don't know if sanding between coats is needed and how to achieve a really black satin finish.

can anybody help me ? please
Old 03-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENRICO View Post
Hi , I am planing to make a similar proyect , but I need some help!!!!

I don't know if sanding between coats is needed and how to achieve a really black satin finish.

can anybody help me ? please

You really will not be able to get a perfectly black stain. What kind of finish are going to use?
here is a picture of the second snare I built. It is a black stain. I did tung oil finish on it. Just build up the finish with 8 to 10 thin coats, then you can sand LIGHTLY with out taking off the stain.

BTW that is a great looking set of shells. It looks like the color I used to refinish my first set.
Attached Images