DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 PM

Default advice on choosing a bass drum heads

i have a ddrum dominion ash pocket kit w/ a 20 x 20 bass drum and i need to find a bass drum head that will still give me that really deep low end thump despite my bass drum being a little smaller. any advice will be great!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:56 PM

Default Re: advice on choosing a bass drum heads

When it comes to bass drum heads there isn't realy much to ponder (unless ur using natural skins) because the bass drum holds the least charicteristics soundwise out of all ur drums. Its realy all up to the way you tune it. I would recomend the most durable head you can find. That way it will last longer and make a smaller bass drum sound a little deeper and warmer.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:12 AM

have you ever tryed remo powerstroke 3 ? try them you wont regret. there very strong to. i do custom drum make overs, i have rebuilt even the cheapest of drums and ill put em on and they sound like they can compete with pearls or lugwig ect. there really easy to tune and they have a built in ring in them so u dont have to put a pillow in to muffle. you can go as far as batter against batter instead of reson heads. they do sound really good and i get really good feed back. and you can be fooled to youll think your playing a 22 or 24 inch. hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:17 AM
trkdrmr

Don't overlook the beater type. The lowest kick sounds come from a standard hard felt beater, not light beaters like the iron cobras.

A pearl quadbeater will give you the option of narrow/wide felt and plastic surfaces.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
Don't overlook the beater type. The lowest kick sounds come from a standard hard felt beater, not light beaters like the iron cobras.

A pearl quadbeater will give you the option of narrow/wide felt and plastic surfaces.
My Iron Cobra beater is as heavy as my standard felt beater. I agree that a heavy beater head will help move all that air and get a beefier bass tone, even when played lightly.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:57 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post
My Iron Cobra beater is as heavy as my standard felt beater. I agree that a heavy beater head will help move all that air and get a beefier bass tone, even when played lightly.
I am still waiting for my felt beater from west coast drums. It went back order for 3 weeks now.
My quadbeater is significantly heavier than the IC beater, so the felt/plastic really thumps.