DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 03-23-2009, 03:59 AM
drummerchick435's Avatar
drummerchick435 drummerchick435 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 972
Default Re: Not that anyone would care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
If anyone has anything negative to say about drummerchicks post you better take a look back at your musical taste. I'm sure it's filled with bands you would not admit were influences on your taste.
Thanks, That Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeman View Post
I have to agree completely with your statement. And that music that you don't want to admit is part of your taste can influence it the most. It can explain the bridge the strange gap between Latin and alternative music on my ipod.


I remember i think it was last year that drummerchick435 said about the jb and noone had anything negative to say about them. They had mostly postive things to say.
Thanks, georgeman!
__________________
I drum for Him.
Psalm 150

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-23-2009, 04:02 AM
drummerchick435's Avatar
drummerchick435 drummerchick435 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 972
Default Re: Not that anyone would care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
They wrote a whole lot of timeless songs. JB writes Saturday morning cartoon music.
You call this ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_cXhBy78T4 ) Saturday morning cartoon music? The beginning sounds a little Beatles-esque.

Just curious about your opinion.
__________________
I drum for Him.
Psalm 150

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-23-2009, 04:04 AM
drummerchick435's Avatar
drummerchick435 drummerchick435 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 972
Default Re: Not that anyone would care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericdrummingusername View Post
People don't seem to want to admit this, but The Beatles weren't the greatest musicians.
My brother told me one day that Ringo couldn't play some of their stuff so they had to hire another drummer to play when they recorded.

not a Ringo bash.
__________________
I drum for Him.
Psalm 150

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-23-2009, 04:39 AM
diosdude's Avatar
diosdude diosdude is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 951
Default Re: Not that anyone would care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeman View Post

I remember i think it was last year that drummerchick435 said about the jb and noone had anything negative to say about them. They had mostly postive things to say.

Yeah, they're competent musicians. Again they do what they were programmed to do by the Disney machine, and it IS a well oiled machine but is there anyone who would deny that they would be nobodies if they looked like the nerd posse from Superbad? Come on drummerchick, are you really going to listen to the music or to see the boys?

I'm not afraid to admit i like Avril Lavigne either. I also like Carrie Underwood, Nelly Furtado, and Kelly Clarkson. Wanna fight about it? j/k
__________________
I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drums all day!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-23-2009, 04:43 AM
georgeman's Avatar
georgeman georgeman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: next to the little leauge world series
Posts: 185
Default Re: Not that anyone would care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
Yeah, they're competent musicians. Again they do what they were programmed to do by the Disney machine, and it IS a well oiled machine but is there anyone who would deny that they would be nobodies if they looked like the nerd posse from Superbad? Come on drummerchick, are you really going to listen to the music or to see the boys?
Remember one mans trash is another mans treasure
just cuz i like them doesn't mean you have to.
I can pop in a cd of them and listen to it
but you might hear just noise
and vise versa
-george
__________________
GTLALAAATAI -yea so what do you want to make of it!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-23-2009, 05:05 AM
diosdude's Avatar
diosdude diosdude is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 951
Default Re: Not that anyone would care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeman View Post
Remember one mans trash is another mans treasure
just cuz i like them doesn't mean you have to.
I can pop in a cd of them and listen to it
but you might hear just noise
and vise versa
-george

Okay, let me put it another way. JB gets into a horrible car crash and suffer 3rd and 4th degree burns, horribly disfiguring their faces. They survive but are permently and grossly disfigured. They continue to write their best songs ever. Do their ticket sales go up or down?

Basically it boils down to jealousy. Am i jealous? Of course. I've put in ten times the efforts as these kids to achieve superstardom but their looks have rocketed them way past me. I ain't gonna try to deny it. But to those who go to see JB or Avril or Brittney Spears or Beyonce or whoever and deny that they like those performers primarily for their looks you're fooling yourselves. Would i like Avril's tunes if it was say, Jordin Sparks singing them? Definitely not.

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
--1 John 2:16-17
__________________
I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drums all day!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-23-2009, 05:06 AM
TTNW's Avatar
TTNW TTNW is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 1,846
Default Re: Not that anyone would care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
I didn't say they couldn't play... ...CD will be in the "where are they now?" five dollar bin at walmart in 5 years.
OK, I see where you're coming from. Maybe I'm easily impressed. I was just giving him his props for being 16 and doing a good job on SNL.
__________________
Philippe - Eat, Sleep and Drum.. .. it makes for a good weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-23-2009, 05:14 AM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 10,406
Default Re: Not that anyone would care...

I was kind of surprised when I read your post. It almost seemed like you were asking our approval to like a band. If you like them, Then go see them. I saw them a while back on a morning TV show and I thought that they were extremely talented. I liked them! Have fun! I'm Myspace friends with Dianna Kraul. I see her play whenever I can. She makes my world a better place. There are many people that say all kinds of things about her music. I don't care what they say! I am my own person and I choose what I like! I like her, So I go to her concerts! It's that simple. Have fun and enjoy.
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-23-2009, 05:22 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,253
Default Re: Not that anyone would care...

Stick with what you believe in, and what you want to do. The rest does not matter, enjoy life.

All The Best,
__________________
"Forget the message, forget the lyrics, and just play." - Ginger Baker
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-23-2009, 05:26 AM
TheGroceryman TheGroceryman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 641
Default Re: Not that anyone would care...

Aright, when you go and see them,

COUNT the number of males in the audience.

And come back with the results.

I bet 10 bucks that number is less than 10.

If not, then...

I don't know, but I'll be dissapointed.
__________________
"Defeat is crowned by Success, Only if you Persist."
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 03-23-2009, 05:48 AM
drummerchick435's Avatar
drummerchick435 drummerchick435 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 972
Default Re: Not that anyone would care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
Yeah, they're competent musicians. Again they do what they were programmed to do by the Disney machine, and it IS a well oiled machine but is there anyone who would deny that they would be nobodies if they looked like the nerd posse from Superbad? Come on drummerchick, are you really going to listen to the music or to see the boys?

I'm not afraid to admit i like Avril Lavigne either. I also like Carrie Underwood, Nelly Furtado, and Kelly Clarkson. Wanna fight about it? j/k
It's both. Their music and their looks.
__________________
I drum for Him.
Psalm 150

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-23-2009, 05:55 AM
drummerchick435's Avatar
drummerchick435 drummerchick435 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 972
Default Re: Not that anyone would care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I was kind of surprised when I read your post. It almost seemed like you were asking our approval to like a band. If you like them, Then go see them. I saw them a while back on a morning TV show and I thought that they were extremely talented. I liked them! Have fun! I'm Myspace friends with Dianna Kraul. I see her play whenever I can. She makes my world a better place. There are many people that say all kinds of things about her music. I don't care what they say! I am my own person and I choose what I like! I like her, So I go to her concerts! It's that simple. Have fun and enjoy.
I guess it turned out that way but I just wanted to tell everyone I could because I was so excited and...well...DW (outside of my family) is the only place I could. I don't have any friends right now. I used to, but, for some reason, my friends I had don't really care about me anymore. I texted one of my friends and she didn't text me back. She always texts back when someone texts her. Even my "friends" from church don't care about me. I'm not looking for pity. I'm going to college in August so I'm bound to make new friends, but I'm just explaining the deeper reason why I posted.
__________________
I drum for Him.
Psalm 150

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-23-2009, 04:35 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Not that anyone would care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
Okay, let me put it another way. JB gets into a horrible car crash and suffer 3rd and 4th degree burns, horribly disfiguring their faces. They survive but are permently and grossly disfigured. They continue to write their best songs ever. Do their ticket sales go up or down?

Basically it boils down to jealousy. Am i jealous? Of course. I've put in ten times the efforts as these kids to achieve superstardom but their looks have rocketed them way past me. I ain't gonna try to deny it. But to those who go to see JB or Avril or Brittney Spears or Beyonce or whoever and deny that they like those performers primarily for their looks you're fooling yourselves. Would i like Avril's tunes if it was say, Jordin Sparks singing them? Definitely not.

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
--1 John 2:16-17
You've got a point. It's always about looks and sex and stuff. To be fair though it's not even just pop music, i personally don't know of any female fronted metal bands that don't have a very nice looking singer. That's sort of the whole point. I remember in our old band the guitar player wanted to get rid of this girl who was a perfectly okay musician but he pointed out that we'd never get famous. As much as i disagree with that, he is right.

As for the beatles, no-one is saying they were the best musicians but that's been the case a lot of the times down the line. You can write some great songs without having huge musical ability or knowledge. It's a bit like a lot of modern art, it's not about how long it took someone to paint a picture or how detailed or realistic it looks, it's about the expression of it. Someone recently filled a box full of dry ice or something to that effect so that when you were inside this box you can't see anything more than a couple of feet in front of you. That didn't take tremendous artistic ability to come up with but he expressed himself in a very creative manner. Just like music.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-24-2009, 01:07 AM
georgeman's Avatar
georgeman georgeman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: next to the little leauge world series
Posts: 185
Default Re: Not that anyone would care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
Okay, let me put it another way. JB gets into a horrible car crash and suffer 3rd and 4th degree burns, horribly disfiguring their faces. They survive but are permently and grossly disfigured. They continue to write their best songs ever. Do their ticket sales go up or down?

Basically it boils down to jealousy. Am i jealous? Of course. I've put in ten times the efforts as these kids to achieve superstardom but their looks have rocketed them way past me. I ain't gonna try to deny it. But to those who go to see JB or Avril or Brittney Spears or Beyonce or whoever and deny that they like those performers primarily for their looks you're fooling yourselves. Would i like Avril's tunes if it was say, Jordin Sparks singing them? Definitely not.
Point taken
-george
__________________
GTLALAAATAI -yea so what do you want to make of it!
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-24-2009, 01:45 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Not that anyone would care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerchick435 View Post
You call this ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_cXhBy78T4 ) Saturday morning cartoon music? The beginning sounds a little Beatles-esque.

Just curious about your opinion.
They skew too young and fluffy for me. Not my cup o tea. If I want "beatle-esque" I just listen to the Beatles.

I am just nonplussed with corporate boy bands, pop princesses, or the "tween" sound.

The teen bands I liked?
- The Beatles
- The who
- Def Leppard
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-24-2009, 01:59 AM
drumhead61's Avatar
drumhead61 drumhead61 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: Not that anyone would care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
Have fun at Jonas brothers. I don't really care for the product of the Disney Channel, after all, that's what these kind of bands are. To even mention them in the same sentence as the Beatles (or even Avril Lavigne) is absolutely absurd. The Beatles were the original boy-band of rock'n'roll, yes but there were boy bands of the day that were equally huge but fell by the wayside because their music was lame. The beatles stormed through the 60's and early 70's with dozens of chartbusters that were award winning and catchy. Pull any person off the street and i guarantee they are familiar with dozens of their tunes. The Beatles more importantly, just like genuine artists like Avril Lavigne wrote their own music while i bet 90% + of The Jonas Bro's music were written by Professional songwriters. Don't take it personally, but the JB's are just a package. They're big because of their looks and the legions of predominantly teen female fans would not be going to the concerts if they looked like the nerd posse from Superbad. Okay somebody had to say it and I said it. Please don't hate me, the Jonas Brothers do not suck, they are trained professionals doing what they do very well and that's perform poppy tunes that were written for them and also looking good doing it, but they're not artists.

DC I hope that you have a BLAST @ the concert, as for any comparisons to the Beatles...NOPE! I am listening to the Beatles right now and Jonas Bros NO WAY!!!! I do hope that you have a great time!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-24-2009, 02:39 AM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 10,406
Default Re: Not that anyone would care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerchick435 View Post
I guess it turned out that way but I just wanted to tell everyone I could because I was so excited and...well...DW (outside of my family) is the only place I could. I don't have any friends right now. I used to, but, for some reason, my friends I had don't really care about me anymore. I texted one of my friends and she didn't text me back. She always texts back when someone texts her. Even my "friends" from church don't care about me. I'm not looking for pity. I'm going to college in August so I'm bound to make new friends, but I'm just explaining the deeper reason why I posted.
We all go through times in our life when for whatever reason we feel alone against the world and friendless. It is what we do during these times that builds our character and defines and strengthens us! I have had many periods in my life like this. It will pass, I assure you. You will be better and stronger for it. You will resume some of your friendships that you feel are lost right now in the future. You will also nurture many new ones. Thank you for considering us at DW your friends. All of us here have drumming as our common bond. The glue that binds us. And Yes! We do care!
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)

Last edited by bobdadruma; 03-24-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com