DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Billy Ward here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz2 View Post
Sorry, my bad. BTW, are you saying Bill Ward isn't a drummer? Cos if you are I suggest you listen to some early Black Sabbath recordings...
No, no, not at all man! I wrote *DRUMMER* like that to point out the fact that most of us are drummers and as such we should know who Billy Ward is. Still, it happens :P but it can't be fun for Billy to have 50% of the people who post on his thread mention Black Sabbath!
And I have nothing against Bill Ward. Big part of Black Sabbath.
All the best, Fox.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
No, no, not at all man! I wrote *DRUMMER* like that to point out the fact that most of us are drummers and as such we should know who Billy Ward is. Still, it happens :P but it can't be fun for Billy to have 50% of the people who post on his thread mention Black Sabbath!
And I have nothing against Bill Ward. Big part of Black Sabbath.
All the best, Fox.
Ah right, I get it now.

Billy! I'm not missively into jazz but I've just seen one of you're videos on Youtube...Wow

By the way, do you reckon you could get me Dio's autograph? xP
Old 03-20-2009, 03:15 AM
DW Pro Drummer

Hey Guz (dare I ask how you got that name??)

I'm not really a jazz drummer - just a drummer who made a DVD about jazz in efforts to help rock guys.

sorry, Dio is way out of my league. Maybe someday when I grow up and become more famous.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy ward View Post
Hey Guz (dare I ask how you got that name??)

I'm not really a jazz drummer - just a drummer who made a DVD about jazz in efforts to help rock guys.

sorry, Dio is way out of my league. Maybe someday when I grow up and become more famous.
I was making a joke about the Black Sabbath thing xP

Anyway, my real name is Angus (Gus for short) and there's already a bloke here called Gus so I switched the "S" for a "Z"... Aren't I clever? xP

Last edited by Guz2; 03-20-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:36 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Guz - I was hoping for a better story about the name!

I'm very good with the bill ward/billy ward thing. no biggie. In the early nineties, when I was strictly a studio drummer, it was more ...uh, itchy and scratchy. I'd be at a music store and somebody would suddenly light up and start taking pics... and then I'd have to tell them that I'm NOT Bill Ward from Blk Sbth - it was always kind of a moment where I wanted to tell the truth, but I also didn't want to deflate that person's sudden happiness!
It could be worse... what if I was named Steve Gadd? :D
Old 03-20-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Guz - I was hoping for a better story about the name!

I'm very good with the bill ward/billy ward thing. no biggie. In the early nineties, when I was strictly a studio drummer, it was more ...uh, itchy and scratchy. I'd be at a music store and somebody would suddenly light up and start taking pics... and then I'd have to tell them that I'm NOT Bill Ward from Blk Sbth - it was always kind of a moment where I wanted to tell the truth, but I also didn't want to deflate that person's sudden happiness!
It could be worse... what if I was named Steve Gadd? :D
Or Keith Moon...Wait, that'd be awesome. You could pretend to be a zombie and spook people :D
Old 03-29-2009, 10:09 AM

Hey Billy,

Recently picked up your "Voices in my Head" DVD, and I have to say, it is up there with my all time favorite instructional materials. Your approach to teaching/explanation is excellent. Thank you for sharing your unique approach to jazz drumming with the community. You have truly been an inspiration for me,... my playing definitely improved after watching Big Time, and I look forward to the advancements i hope to make from "Voices". I don't know if it would be possible, but I make it to the winter NAMM nearly every Jan.... Is a private lesson even feasible with your schedule around the time of NAMM? Would be honored to sit down for an hour with you sometime. Thanks again for the great wealth of info,.. on the DVD's and here in the forums.

Jay Alsman
Old 03-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz2 View Post
Anyway, my real name is Angus (Gus for short) and there's already a bloke here called Gus so I switched the "S" for a "Z"... Aren't I clever? xP
there's quite a few of us Gus's here.

I saw a clip of you (billy) doing a groove with egg shakers in your shoe and using your hands on the skins. awesome! i tried doing it, but you make it look so much easier than it actually is.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:01 AM
DW Pro Drummer

I love the name, Gus. One of my closest friends has a son named August - they call him Gus.

thank you so much! I have to admit, I need feedback - because doing videos and writing (and basically caring) about others' progress is a bit of work. So thanks for lifting me up tonight, here, in a rainy New York City.

and Jay, while I missed this last NAMM show (and probably a whole ton of shows this year - from Musikmesse through all the festivals because of my wife's illness) i DO hope to attend NAMM 2010. If I am there, you can find me and we can at least try to do something together in the DW booth at the very least.

thanks again!
Old 04-03-2009, 04:44 PM

Speaking of drummers with same names I feel sorry for the drummer of Geezer Butler's band GZR. He's called Chad Smith. xP

Oh look, we're back to Black Sabbath...Sorry, I hink I'll leave you to discuss jazz and whatnot instead of interrupting AGAIN with my metal ramblings xP

Last edited by Guz2; 04-04-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:55 AM
DW Pro Drummer

I posted this in general - now it is here. thanks Bernhard for taking what you wish to make it all happen.

http://billyward.yuku.com/topic/3706?page=-1

Jim Chapin passed away July 4th, 2009.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:55 PM

Here are a couple of nice paradiddle based patterns from the great Billy Ward: http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/b...iddleslow.html
Old 10-30-2009, 05:07 AM
DW Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayAlsman View Post
Hey Billy,

Recently picked up your "Voices in my Head" DVD, and I have to say, it is up there with my all time favorite instructional materials. Your approach to teaching/explanation is excellent. Thank you for sharing your unique approach to jazz drumming with the community. You have truly been an inspiration for me,... my playing definitely improved after watching Big Time, and I look forward to the advancements i hope to make from "Voices". I don't know if it would be possible, but I make it to the winter NAMM nearly every Jan.... Is a private lesson even feasible with your schedule around the time of NAMM? Would be honored to sit down for an hour with you sometime. Thanks again for the great wealth of info,.. on the DVD's and here in the forums.

Jay Alsman
Jay,

thanks - and please accept my apologies for not responding to your question. If we catch each other at a NAMM show, I would be happy to share what i can with you for free - though, it is kind of difficult at those palces to get way into it!
I've been away because of my wife's illness, but hopefully things will get better and I'll then be able to pay more attention to this fine forum.
Hi Bernhard!

-BW
Old 12-09-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Jay,

thanks - and please accept my apologies for not responding to your question. If we catch each other at a NAMM show, I would be happy to share what i can with you for free - though, it is kind of difficult at those palces to get way into it!
I've been away because of my wife's illness, but hopefully things will get better and I'll then be able to pay more attention to this fine forum.
Hi Bernhard!

-BW

Billy,

That is way too kind, and I thank you for your generosity. I would be forever grateful to sit down together for a few minutes and soak up any of your knowledge. My best to you and your family, and have a great holiday season...

Jay Alsman
Old 02-05-2010, 06:23 AM
DW Pro Drummer

Just passing through here - Have you guys seen my Rhythm Tech Stickball????

NAMM 2010 "best in show" award. It's cookin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnT9x...layer_embedded
Old 02-05-2010, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member

Billy, you are such a champ with these doo-hickies!! You can make them groove like no other... this is great ( A little vulgar looking though.. )
Old 02-06-2010, 10:33 AM

Hey Billy

Just want to say I'm anxious about receiving Big Time soon! Boy I can feel it now ;)

I'm a huge Sucherman fan and in M&M he recommended very highly delving into Jazz also as a rock-drummer! ...I figured "Billy Ward" is clearly the way to go for that matter!!

I know Big Time isn't probably going to much into the Jazz thing (I assume that, that is) but I think it's just right to get to know you and your playing a little bit more...

And there's always "Voices", right?!

Thanks Billy!

About to find the Jazz in me...

Andreas
from Bavaria

Hey Billy...

I'm just as everyone else hit in the heart...and don't know what to say but to offer my condolences.

This isn't a perfect world. STAND TALL, Billy!

All the best from this part of the planet...
Andreas

Last edited by the-gablushe; 02-22-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:26 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Billy, as said on the other forum,

Heartfelt warmest wishes of warmth and courage to you from me at this awful time for you.

Most sincerely,

GH
Old 02-20-2010, 06:24 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Here's my review of Billy's Stickball Shaker:
http://www.drummercafe.com/reviews/g...ll-shaker.html
I now own three of these shakers!

Also, last month I was in the studio with Billy, documenting his session on video. There's over an hour's worth of footage, which is now a featured article at the Drummer Cafe: Billy Ward - In The Studio. I'm currently airing a large portion of the footage this week on Drummer Cafe TV, and dedicating it to the memory of his wife, Maura.

Love you Billy.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:16 PM

here's the video that made me fall in love with Billy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YexaQsaCrU

So great!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Dear Mr Billy Ward

I've heard what happened, and I just wanted to say you have my deepest condolences, I was shocked to hear that, and I can't even imagine how you must feel.

I wish you all the best, may you find happiness again soon!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Dear Mr Billy Ward

I've heard what happened, and I just wanted to say you have my deepest condolences, I was shocked to hear that, and I can't even imagine how you must feel.

I wish you all the best, may you find happiness again soon!
Loosing your soul-mate is crushing. I hope your grief eventually becomes managable and your memories of better times together prominent.

Sincerely

Greg
Old 03-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

Billy, I'm shocked to hear the awful news. I hope you find the strength to bear the weight of this loss. My heart goes out to you today, bro.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:04 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Thanks all! I'm working on it.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:09 AM

Deepest condolences from a fan.

Just received the Voices package. I love the album and Voices is one of the great instructional DVDs. You bring so much character and entertainment and love to what you are doing. Thank you for sharing your talent with us.

Sincerely, David
Old 07-02-2010, 11:47 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Thanks Nightworker - I'm at least beginning to play again. Subbed for Joe Morello (who was ill) at the Chicago Drum Show a few weeks ago. The vids to that are out there - at least available on my own website. Also, I'll be in nashville in August doing work and am doing five or six clinic dates for DW too.
thanks so much!
Old 07-03-2010, 03:11 AM
Platinum Member

Hi Billy, nice to know you're here.

I just wanted to say I am a fan. I got your DVD 'Big Time', and I love it. It runs like a movie and not an instructional video. Very cool stuff (adding to my ever-growing pile of stuff to work on)!

I'm glad to hear all is becoming well.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:55 AM
DW Pro Drummer

thanks Bo. I've been told that Big time has a big WAF (wife acceptance factor) :D

It's hot as %^&*( here in New York city! I hope you all are doing well (and recording yourselves nonetheless)
Old 07-08-2010, 04:00 AM
Platinum Member

You are correct! My wife digs the video. She especially likes the Andy Hess sections. Thanks for giving me even MORE stuff to work on!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:45 AM

Billy delighted to hear you are back and working. And a special word of thanks, as I mentioned in another thread, for the setting up the drums tips in your DVD, which really helped sort out some issues for me in getting the hi-hats properly positioned. All strength to you. Cheers, David
Old 07-10-2010, 04:46 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Here's a little heads up - I'm doing a week of clinics in the eastern U.S. in August. If you are nearby, please come and let's try to hang!

http://www.dwdrums.com/woodologytour/
Old 07-17-2010, 04:27 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Gary - thanks for your kind thoughts. I look forward to a day where we can hang out and share ourselves.

Me too Billy. Thanks, it's really good hearing from you. I hope you're coping and doing okay man.

Gary
Old 08-16-2010, 06:13 PM

Caught the clinic stop in Harrisburg, PA. Enjoyed the playing and I learned a TON of stuff from John Good about the drum making process. I really appreciate you taking the time to chat as well Billy. You should write a book about your lesson with Elvin!

Thank you,

Matt Blank
Old 12-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

Hey Billy

I've been listening to Out the door quite a bit the last few weeks and realized, thats the exact snare sound im looking for. So my question is pretty obvious, how is it tuned? My wallet won't allow a new snare so I'm limited to a Sonor 3007 maple. It's deepness might be a limitation, only 5.5"x14".

I'm guessing that cutting a few snares might the answer?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2010, 04:08 AM
DW Pro Drummer

Hi Sjogras - thanks for the compliment on my snare! That drum was a 6X 14 birch DW VLT shell. I've gotta say, that is how that drumset sounds because I used very few microphones in making that record. If you keep yearning for a particular sound, it will come to you so keep trying! good luck!
Old 12-23-2010, 04:38 AM

Hey Billy,

Too cool to know that post here. What a privilege! Just wanted to say you're a great drummer and a big inspiration. I play a lot of metal and rock but have gotten interested in jazz over the past year more then ever. Your video "Voices In My Head" is great and I watch it all the time. Its given me a whole new perspective and I just wanted to thank you for being an obviously personal and intelligent drummer.

- Nick
Old 01-09-2011, 12:31 AM
DW Pro Drummer

Wow - Thelron, sorry it took so long for me to see this! Thanks so much for your compliment! The only drag about Voices in My Head is that I llowed it to be called a video about jazz, when really it is a chops vid about the fewest stuff you need on a technical level. It is really the opposite of Big Time! But that was my mistake and I am truly thrilled you are getting something out of Voices!
Happy New Year to all at Drummerworld!
Old 04-15-2011, 05:03 AM

Hey thanks for your response back. Since nobody has posted in this thread in and a while I figured I'd ask you question if you are lurking about =P. I've recently bought a Sabian HH 20" medium ride and have shifted my attention toward jazz and such, and my learning has improved to the point of where I don't break my sticks and I play a lot more relaxed and I just have felt an overall improvement as I've learned more rudiments and have been applying them. I've been working with brushes and mallets a lot more lately and my questions really have to do with the stickball and your Pro-Mark stick. The stick just seems fascinating. I use a Vater 5A stick and they hold up great for me, I just wanted to know what the musical diversity of the stick is and how it affects grip plus its strength (I play mainly Christian Rock, Funk/Rock, I dabble in jazz, and I play in a heavy metal band as well which I use 5B's for regardless so that doesn't affect me using this stick). The other thing about the stick ball was really more about how it affects stick weight. I would love picking up these products and since I've been finding it hard to find anything on them I figured this would be worth a shot. Thanks for any feedback!!! =]
Old 05-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Rebel

Ooops! sorry, I thought it was Bill Ward from Black Sabbath...nevermind!
Old 05-15-2011, 11:13 PM

Hi
Dear Billy,

Hope you are fine.

After you arranged the better places for the microphones on your kit, arrange the Gain for gets the Maximum peak(without clip or distortion) of them without attention to the leakages, or you use the Gain for Minimum leakages and use the ambiance sounds in your mix when you record in your studio?

Best Regards,
Ramtin HajatDoost
Tehran - Iran