DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 11-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

Default zune anyone?

hey guys, at the end of the month i will be getting a check for 4h pig club. its like a community thing were you raise a pig and learn about it.. you get paid to do it

SO...'

i was thinking if i have enough money

getting a zune... now your all thinking.. zilman why not get a new drum or something..

answer is nope i need a new mp3 player.. those ones from radio shack are a joke

are the zunes clunky? i heard they are

i might just go with a psp.....

What would you do?

AND NO IPODS
Old 11-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: zune anyone?

My buddys got one and I think it is pretty slick if you ask me, deffinatly worth the pickup.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Hey man, first rule about pig club...don't talk about pig club.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Those things are pretty sweet. Radio video mp3. And i guess that you can send songs wirelessly to your friends that have a zune.
I would get one but dang they're pricey.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

Actually with the Zune2 coming out I've seen the regular version prices drop dramatically, and I've also seen deals from the manufactures selling referbished ones for 80$

30gb $99 new check it out, can't beat that!!!!
http://www.amazon.com/s?keywords=zun...gb&sort=pmrank
Old 11-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Hey man, first rule about pig club...don't talk about pig club.
hey man, i figured id had to explain what it was before everyone started asking questions
Old 11-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Silver Member

but really, i mean im split down two roads

i could get a psp. games music battery comes out no problems

zune:music radio, etc not a bad deal

i dont even think the zune would run on wmp although its a windows based product.. i think you HAVE to use the software it comes with although im not sure.

im still decided but i mean it will be one of those two
Old 11-16-2007, 06:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddrummr View Post
Those things are pretty sweet. Radio video mp3. And i guess that you can send songs wirelessly to your friends that have a zune.
I would get one but dang they're pricey.
Um, I hate to say this but seriously: do you have any friends with Zunes? Cause I have literally never seen one out of a display case. I can't make a statement on how good or bad a product it is, but as far sales it appears to me the Zune has been a total flop. iPod killer, Bill Gates wishes.

Also I believe the songs you get from friends expire after 3 days or 3 listens (whichever comes first). Not positive that it's three but it's something right around there.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:39 PM

i have a zune and they're fairly sweet
i got a friend i can share music with
but he's right about the three day/ three listen expiration thing
it's a pointless way to keep friends from having free music sharing
and, in the long run, i wish i would have gotten an ipod because the zune only works with zune hardware and music & videos only ment for the zune, where as the ipod is very versatile and there are many accessories for it,

so the zune is lacking in many areas and it's only claim to fame is the bigger screen which is soon to be not even worht it with the new touch ipods
Old 11-21-2007, 05:03 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZildjianMan1023 View Post

answer is nope i need a new mp3 player.. those ones from radio shack are a joke
They sell zunes at radio shack. I would know because my brother works there.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:05 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
but really, i mean im split down two roads

i could get a psp. games music battery comes out no problems

zune:music radio, etc not a bad deal

i dont even think the zune would run on wmp although its a windows based product.. i think you HAVE to use the software it comes with although im not sure.

im still decided but i mean it will be one of those two
I have a psp and I hate it. Worst waste of money ever. If youre gonna pick, I would get a zune.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
i have a zune and they're fairly sweet
i got a friend i can share music with
but he's right about the three day/ three listen expiration thing
it's a pointless way to keep friends from having free music sharing
and, in the long run, i wish i would have gotten an ipod because the zune only works with zune hardware and music & videos only ment for the zune, where as the ipod is very versatile and there are many accessories for it,

so the zune is lacking in many areas and it's only claim to fame is the bigger screen which is soon to be not even worht it with the new touch ipods
Amazing - Microsoft succeeded early on by encouraging sharing and use of its software on different computers. Macs originally struggled because they kept everything proprietary and inflexible. Now, we see Microsoft going the closed route and of course it's flopping.

Personally, I keep far away from the iPod and iTunes. I use some mongrel mp3 player that doesn't try to commandeer all my entertainment choices like iTunes does. I want a simple music player, not a cross-architected digital entertainment solution that tries to take over every thing I do. Listening to tunes has gotten so hard with licenses and stuff that I just go back to my cassette player sometimes - no licenses or auto expiration or any other BS. Just the music.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Amazing - Microsoft succeeded early on by encouraging sharing and use of its software on different computers. Macs originally struggled because they kept everything proprietary and inflexible. Now, we see Microsoft going the closed route and of course it's flopping.

Personally, I keep far away from the iPod and iTunes. I use some mongrel mp3 player that doesn't try to commandeer all my entertainment choices like iTunes does. I want a simple music player, not a cross-architected digital entertainment solution that tries to take over every thing I do. Listening to tunes has gotten so hard with licenses and stuff that I just go back to my cassette player sometimes - no licenses or auto expiration or any other BS. Just the music.
word, itunes on windows is so hard to loose.. i think apple makes some good products but the whole aac thing just doesnt float my boat
Old 11-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89 View Post
I have a psp and I hate it. Worst waste of money ever. If youre gonna pick, I would get a zune.
why do you hate it brittc89?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
why do you hate it brittc89?
The games suck. The whole set-up of the thing sucks. Its just not comfortable to use.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Erik Lund

I just got an 80 GB iPod and am loving it. I'm in the process (still) of putting all my CD's on the thing. I have a friend with a Zune and that screen looks great.

Britt is absolutely correct - the PSP sucks - don't fall for those holiday bundles they're doing - still crap. The games are awful - and I might geek out here a little bit in explaining why: They try to put console-quality games on the thing and with only one thumbstick - it's impossible. And the one thumbstick you get feels loose/wobbly/junk. Sure the screen is pretty and you get graphics slightly better than a PS2 (sometimes) but still: don't waste your money.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Lund View Post
I just got an 80 GB iPod and am loving it. I'm in the process (still) of putting all my CD's on the thing. I have a friend with a Zune and that screen looks great.

Britt is absolutely correct - the PSP sucks - don't fall for those holiday bundles they're doing - still crap. The games are awful - and I might geek out here a little bit in explaining why: They try to put console-quality games on the thing and with only one thumbstick - it's impossible. And the one thumbstick you get feels loose/wobbly/junk. Sure the screen is pretty and you get graphics slightly better than a PS2 (sometimes) but still: don't waste your money.
idk ive been doing my research... i need something compatiable with wma.. i dont want an ipod.. although an ipod touch running on wmp would be sweet.. ok i mean ive had the oppurtinity to play with the psp several times.. i know that thing inside and out.. it doesnt seem like that bad of a deal.. unless the games are that crappy
Old 11-23-2007, 01:48 AM

I'm a Zune owner. Love the thing. It has it's quirks, since it's a new product but I have to say that of all the mp3 players I've owned, I love the zune best. Another cool thing is if you own the first zune (30 gb), you get the firmware that the new ones use for free. In other words, first gen owner don't get left behind. My only gripe is that the software is basically a clone of WMP but you can't use WMP with your Zune.

---LG
Old 11-23-2007, 01:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveGoat View Post
I'm a Zune owner. Love the thing. It has it's quirks, since it's a new product but I have to say that of all the mp3 players I've owned, I love the zune best. Another cool thing is if you own the first zune (30 gb), you get the firmware that the new ones use for free. In other words, first gen owner don't get left behind. My only gripe is that the software is basically a clone of WMP but you can't use WMP with your Zune.

---LG

haha i know isnt that dumb? a windows product that doesnt use windows media..
Old 11-23-2007, 03:59 AM
Silver Member

i got it guys, since i already have a nintendo ds.. i figured ill just put homebrew on it

it just needs a new battery and a good cleaning but ill just throw my music on that thing
Old 11-23-2007, 05:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I know what you mean, but really the iPod is no worse than anything else. I'll 100% agree with you that licenses and DRM suck, but that's really an iTunes thing not an iPod thing, and has much more to do with where you buy your music than what you listen to it on. Also, Apple recently made some deals with several of the major labels and is now selling a lot of DRM-free music.

But really I think you can ignore that stuff when looking for a player, because there's nothing saying you have to buy your music on iTunes to play it on the 'pod - CDs or whatever other service work fine. Videos are a little more tricky, but it's not hard to find a media converter that will take care of that for you quite nicely.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveGoat View Post
My only gripe is that the software is basically a clone of WMP but you can't use WMP with your Zune.

---LG
That's mindless. I love WMP and use it whenever I can. If the Zune doesn't use it, it is truly a doomed product.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
That's mindless. I love WMP and use it whenever I can. If the Zune doesn't use it, it is truly a doomed product.
i agree with dmc.. i already have a windows based product.. why do i need to install software for it..

windows media player is so easy to use with windows.. fast transfering no problem losless audio etc..

thast mindless of billgates to do something like that.. JUST LET ME USE WMP for gods sake..

these other mp3 players out there know whats good for them.. every other mp3 player runs on wmp
Old 11-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

I have the original Zune from last year, and I love it. It does have the wmp issue, but I transfered files from wmp to Zune no problem. Also, when I open a new CD, windows gives me options, so I just open in Zune and load it in. I love the FM radio feature, and the screen is great.

The iTunes thing is an issue, but I generally don't buy tunes on line. I simply transfer my CD's to Zune.

I think it's not perfect, but overall very cool!

Pat
Old 11-29-2007, 02:37 AM

The microsoft zune is a kickass device man and it holds alot of info. I got a 30 GB used man. It's held up fine and it compacts the files way more than an Ipod and still has great sound quality. I have 5,167 songs, 68 videos, and 115 Pictures and still have room for more. I think like 3.84 GB or something. The only real trouble is when you charge it on the computer the screen is on but the back light is off which is stupid but whatever. Yeah, I don't like the new display of the new software but it is better in serval ways like: Wireless Sync, faster scrolling down (Songs and Artist) and even a Podcast mode where you can get a bunch of free stuff.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:25 PM
da cheese walks

Itunes...the progam itself is great...

ive never heard of the "Zune"...guess its cos were in Irealnd and it hasnt been released here yet or something stupid like that....

but whats with the gripes about itunes?the program can convert all your music into MP3s...high quality ones too....it sorts them out, orders the stuff together....its a damn versatile thing!

i used to use WMP, but then one day got itunes off a friend an never went back...its a lovely program!

(although if your talking about buying off Itunes.com or whatever then ive never done that...dunno...i just transfer tons of CDs....!)
Old 01-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

if it gives anyone closure,

that christmas i got a toshiba gigabeat t series

4 gigs, still runs great. gave it to my dad cause i ran out of space.

i ultiamatley succumbed to the zune and bought one two weeks ago

...its awsome
Old 01-14-2009, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

I like ipod the best. iTunes really works for me. I have a full speed ipod ready Alpine stereo in my car that controls my ipod and let's me select songs and see on the face of the car stereo what is being played. It also charges the ipod's battery. I never go anywhere without my ipod. I have the ipod classic. I subscribe to podcasts. I watch videos on my ipod. I have used windows media player on a PC and I tried a zune. They were OK but not as easy to use as my Mac and my ipod and iTunes. I bought a MacBook and an ipod a year ago and I have never looked back.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:03 AM

I have an 80 gig Zune. I love it. Never had big problems with it. I had more problems syncing my old IPod. The screen is great and the interface is sweet. Its definitely a good buy. Go for it.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeyInChains View Post
I have an 80 gig Zune. I love it. Never had big problems with it. I had more problems syncing my old IPod. The screen is great and the interface is sweet. Its definitely a good buy. Go for it.
haha update!

bought the zune, battery didnt work... returned it.. went out to best buy bought another

same problem =X!

im sitting here listening to my new ipod nano ive had for a week or two, i cant remeber

i think a week

works beautifuly

its ashame, the zune has so much potential..

but microsoft is suffering with set backs such as battery problems
Old 03-03-2009, 02:32 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

"Potential" should not be the word describing a product coming from a multi-billion dollar company.

Now, the iPod on the other hand...it has its flaws (although now the iTunes store doesn't sell iPod-only songs), but it's as close to perfect as you can get.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:38 AM

I prefer this guy.

1 inch cube, the new models come in up to 4gb and play video.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:26 AM

The only problem I have with iTunes is that the tunes I bought on a seperate PC-I can't play on my laptop. I authorized my laptop-So when I try to play the bought tunes, a dialog box comes up stating I must Authorized-When I go to my account tot ry and authorize it, it states-This PC has already been authorized. It's a viscious cycle.

I have twice contacted Help Support and they have twice sent me the same exact "instructions" that did not help.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:29 AM

why no iPods? they're simple. they're compatible with many more things. you can get around the five computer limit that they have for the iPod by using winamp. they have good warranty support and mine has been fairly resiliant regardless.

I just don't see how you could instantly write off iPods.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:44 AM

I never really understood that myself...
Old 03-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Administrator

1. iPod
2. iPhone
3. iTunes
4. No problems with either at all.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
haha update!

bought the zune, battery didnt work... returned it.. went out to best buy bought another

same problem =X!

im sitting here listening to my new ipod nano ive had for a week or two, i cant remeber

i think a week

works beautifuly

but microsoft is suffering with set backs such as battery problems
Did you leave it charging for very long? When I got mine it wouldn't turn on and when I plugged it in to my computer nothing happened. After waiting for about 10 minutes it finally turned itself on and I haven't had any problems with it since.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:36 PM

I have a zune and i like it a lot. Well i didn't at first because i got it when they first came out so i had to deal with the origional zune software which had so many bugs i was about to throw my computer out the window...

But Anyways.... The new updates have really fixed most the problems, all the problems that annoyed me and now my zune is great! i have 5 friends with zunes and we like to share the music (of course there's the 3 day thing, but do you expect microsoft to let everyone have free music sharing?) lol but seriously go for the Zune, they're pretty sweet.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjb63 View Post
Did you leave it charging for very long? When I got mine it wouldn't turn on and when I plugged it in to my computer nothing happened. After waiting for about 10 minutes it finally turned itself on and I haven't had any problems with it since.
yeah, it got to the point were letting it sit for ten minutes wasnt enough

then it was 20

then 50

and eventually it wouldnt even turn on after leaving it overnight

i love the little guy though

but this ipod i have works so much better