DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #641  
Old 03-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Anne Beeche's Avatar
Anne Beeche Anne Beeche is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 104
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
Here is a compilation of videos of those covering his playing:

Teddy Z

98z radio drum off winner

12 year old Sara

Nick Ceasarz

Spirit of the radio Neal Braatz

Exit stage left Sillers

Subdivisions cearrbhach

The point of this is, among drummers to emulate there seems to be more drummers trying to play like Neil Peart on youtube than any other drummer.
Have you heard of Pauliewanna? He should be on youtube, somewhere. The man's actually pretty good. I love him, in that non-romantic sort of way.
Reply With Quote
  #642  
Old 03-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Anne Beeche's Avatar
Anne Beeche Anne Beeche is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 104
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
There was a grittiness to that era. Compare the sound of permanent waves of fly by night to the overdone (IMO) vapor trails. There is more edge, and more bite. I am also a huge fan of the underrated era from signals through Test for echo.

I think when all is said and done, the most slam comes from the 1st era. I was just listening to xm/sirius Rush deep cuts. They played everything from "lakeside park" to "Xanadu." The 1st era for me was the more primal in terms of both energy and visceral impact.
Ah, i liked the crudeness of the Rush-Hemispheres Era. There's some really good stuff in there. I Think I'm Going Bald is quite an underrated one in my opinion, as well as the first half of Before and After. (Seriously, I really want to find a way to loop that part of the song. It's so good.)

Here's a funny little story about I Think I'm Going Bald. Apparently at the time, Alex Lifeson (who had long beautiful golden tresses) was paranoid to the point of obsession about going bald. He used all sorts of hair products in the hope that it would never ever ever go away. For that reason and this, I've officially make it Alex Lifeson's theme song.

Balding blondies aside, yeah, the Rush-Hemispheres era was good. Permanent Waves I kind of set on it's own. It's the transition from Rush's first era into the second. Now Moving Pictures to Grace Under Pressure, that stuff was also good, but I think a bit too popular among Rush fans.

But Power WIndows, that's where it's at. Power Windows is quite possibly their best album IMO.

After Presto, though, I think they started heading down hill. Each album of course has its own good songs, but as a whole, each album wasn't that great. Doesn't make them bad, they just weren't Rush's best stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #643  
Old 03-03-2009, 10:38 PM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Beeche View Post
But Power WIndows, that's where it's at. Power Windows is quite possibly their best album IMO.

After Presto, though, I think they started heading down hill. Each album of course has its own good songs, but as a whole, each album wasn't that great. Doesn't make them bad, they just weren't Rush's best stuff.
Presto to me, was "Show don't tell" and...those other tunes I could care less about. Superconductor was ok, but largely, the first Rush album with a lot of forgettable material. Geddy even complained about the poor original mastering of that album.

I have seen pauliewanna in passing a couple times. He is an excellent drummer, one of the best Peart cover drummers.
Reply With Quote
  #644  
Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Zumba_Zumba's Avatar
Zumba_Zumba Zumba_Zumba is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 169
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Beeche View Post
Ah, i liked the crudeness of the Rush-Hemispheres Era. There's some really good stuff in there. I Think I'm Going Bald is quite an underrated one in my opinion, as well as the first half of Before and After. (Seriously, I really want to find a way to loop that part of the song. It's so good.)

Here's a funny little story about I Think I'm Going Bald. Apparently at the time, Alex Lifeson (who had long beautiful golden tresses) was paranoid to the point of obsession about going bald. He used all sorts of hair products in the hope that it would never ever ever go away. For that reason and this, I've officially make it Alex Lifeson's theme song.

Balding blondies aside, yeah, the Rush-Hemispheres era was good. Permanent Waves I kind of set on it's own. It's the transition from Rush's first era into the second. Now Moving Pictures to Grace Under Pressure, that stuff was also good, but I think a bit too popular among Rush fans.

But Power WIndows, that's where it's at. Power Windows is quite possibly their best album IMO.

After Presto, though, I think they started heading down hill. Each album of course has its own good songs, but as a whole, each album wasn't that great. Doesn't make them bad, they just weren't Rush's best stuff.

After Presto? What about Counterparts? That was a fantastic album. Heavier and really aggressive. Maybe I like it so much because that was the first Rush concert I went to (strangely enough, the "bootleg" drum solo is on his Anatomy DVD (from the Palace of Auburn Hills, MI). That bootleg has been around for over 10 years even more strangely. Primus opened for them and the mighty Tim Alexander played Spaghetti Western for a good five minutes before Claypool and Lar came on stage. My first introduction to huge stadium sound (his amber colored Pork Pies with twin 20x20 bass drums, simply unreal.)

Anyway, sorry for that wonderful memory, but Counterparts is pretty awesome IMO.
__________________
Give me a liter of cola.
Reply With Quote
  #645  
Old 03-03-2009, 11:52 PM
michael drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Absolutely, ZZ! Counterparts is one of those "not heard much about" gems that is a joy to listen to.

Cut to the Chase
Cold Fire
Stick It Out
Alien Shore
Double Agent

...all my personal favorites.

Definitely an under-rated Rush album. Neil is just so strong on this one. ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #646  
Old 03-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,251
Default Re: Neil Peart

RUSH a farewell to kings
I really like this album, songs like A Farewell To Kings, Xanadu (intro, I love it.), Cinderella Man, Cygnus X-1, Book One: The Voyage, Closer To The Heart...

Also I enjoy Caress of Steel, Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire, Vapor Trails.

All The Best,
__________________
"Forget the message, forget the lyrics, and just play." - Ginger Baker
Reply With Quote
  #647  
Old 03-04-2009, 08:23 PM
paradiddler's Avatar
paradiddler paradiddler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Metro Atlanta, GA
Posts: 193
Default Re: Neil Peart

Wow, I love how this thread's going! I'm here to post solo number 6 on the countdown towards Neil's best solo, but first I'll comment briefly on what's been mentioned here lately.

I definitely love Counterparts. Neil was at the top of his game at that point before experimenting more heavily with the traditional grip and what not. (Double Agent? I mean, c'mon, who plays drums like that? Just sick!)

Other albums I love which for some reason seem to be underrated are Caress of Steel (The Necromancer and The Fountain of Lamneth are just great songs), and Signals, which I think is actually one of Alex's best albums (although the guitar may have been recorded a little low). And of course, Neil excels in all of these.

I've posted number 6 on the countdown towards Neil's best solo:

Neil Peart's Solos Ranked - Number 6

Let us know what you think! Number 5 should be posted soon.
__________________
Omar Alvarado, The Paradiddler
Reply With Quote
  #648  
Old 03-04-2009, 08:59 PM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Hmm.. my favorite work of Neil's ends with Test for echo. After that, the stuff is not quite as appealing. See, that's what happens when you give up Ludwig for DW. That can cause artistic compromise. <evil grin>

TFE has a really dark and compact sound that I really like. After that, the only tune Rush has made that really sticks with me is "One little victory". The instrumentals after TFE are very good though.
Reply With Quote
  #649  
Old 03-04-2009, 09:12 PM
paradiddler's Avatar
paradiddler paradiddler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Metro Atlanta, GA
Posts: 193
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
Hmm.. my favorite work of Neil's ends with Test for echo. After that, the stuff is not quite as appealing. See, that's what happens when you give up Ludwig for DW. That can cause artistic compromise. <evil grin>

TFE has a really dark and compact sound that I really like. After that, the only tune Rush has made that really sticks with me is "One little victory". The instrumentals after TFE are very good though.
Oops! I forgot to mention that I really, really like Snakes and Arrows! It's almost like a comeback CD. To me, every song is very listenable (whereas from at least Hold Your Fire on, several tracks have been only so-so).
__________________
Omar Alvarado, The Paradiddler
Reply With Quote
  #650  
Old 03-04-2009, 09:35 PM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddler View Post
Oops! I forgot to mention that I really, really like Hold your fire! It's almost like a comeback CD. To me, every song is very listenable (whereas from at least Snakes and arrows, most tracks have been only so-so and forgettable).
Fixed, and I agree with this sentiment. :)

Side one

1. "Force Ten" (lyrics: Peart, Pye Dubois) – 4:31--SUPERB
2. "Time Stand Still" – 5:09--SUPERB
3. "Open Secrets" – 5:38--VERY GOOD
4. "Second Nature" – 4:36--VERY GOOD
5. "Prime Mover" – 5:19--VERY GOOD

[edit] Side two

1. "Lock and Key" – 5:09--VERY GOOD
2. "Mission" – 5:16--VERY GOOD
3. "Turn the Page" – 4:55--VERY GOOD
4. "Tai Shan" – 4:15--SUPERB
5. "High Water" – 5:33--VERY GOOD.

DAMN great album!

Snakes and arrows OTOH (of course this is IMO...)
1. "Far Cry" - 5:18--good, but mostly memorable for the reverb effects
2. "Armor and Sword" - 6:40- so-so
3. "Workin' Them Angels" - 4:46-so-so
4. "The Larger Bowl (A Pantoum)" - 4:04- very good
5. "Spindrift" - 5:23- so-so
6. "The Main Monkey Business" - 6:00- very good
7. "The Way the Wind Blows" - 6:28-so-so
8. "Hope" - 2:01-so-so
9. "Faithless" - 5:30-so-so
10. "Bravest Face" - 5:11-so-so
11. "Good News First" - 4:50-so-so
12. "Malignant Narcissism" - 2:15-good
13. "We Hold On" - 4:11-so-so

Overall, nothing *really* sticks with me like past Rush. In fact, "One little victory" sticks with me more than anything on this album. Another word for "so-so" is "forgettable" and for me, S&A really is forgettable as a whole.

Last edited by trkdrmr; 03-04-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #651  
Old 03-05-2009, 12:14 AM
michael drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
Fixed, and I agree with this sentiment. :)

Side one

1. "Force Ten" (lyrics: Peart, Pye Dubois) – 4:31--SUPERB
2. "Time Stand Still" – 5:09--SUPERB
3. "Open Secrets" – 5:38--VERY GOOD
4. "Second Nature" – 4:36--VERY GOOD
5. "Prime Mover" – 5:19--VERY GOOD

[edit] Side two

1. "Lock and Key" – 5:09--VERY GOOD
2. "Mission" – 5:16--VERY GOOD
3. "Turn the Page" – 4:55--VERY GOOD
4. "Tai Shan" – 4:15--SUPERB
5. "High Water" – 5:33--VERY GOOD.

DAMN great album!

Snakes and arrows OTOH (of course this is IMO...)
1. "Far Cry" - 5:18--good, but mostly memorable for the reverb effects
2. "Armor and Sword" - 6:40- so-so
3. "Workin' Them Angels" - 4:46-so-so
4. "The Larger Bowl (A Pantoum)" - 4:04- very good
5. "Spindrift" - 5:23- so-so
6. "The Main Monkey Business" - 6:00- very good
7. "The Way the Wind Blows" - 6:28-so-so
8. "Hope" - 2:01-so-so
9. "Faithless" - 5:30-so-so
10. "Bravest Face" - 5:11-so-so
11. "Good News First" - 4:50-so-so
12. "Malignant Narcissism" - 2:15-good
13. "We Hold On" - 4:11-so-so

Overall, nothing *really* sticks with me like past Rush. In fact, "One little victory" sticks with me more than anything on this album. Another word for "so-so" is "forgettable" and for me, S&A really is forgettable as a whole.
Now you know I'm gonna chime in a little here about S&A. S&A is hardly forgettable...FORGETTABLE???? Wow! Never would expect to here that said about S&A.

I love The Larger Bowl, TMMB, TWTWB,BF,GNF, MN, and We Hold On is, imo, Superb!

Also, the bass drum part in A & S is sweet! The off-beat drum line in Faithless is cool. The hard rock beat of FC is memorable.

And Hope is a great acoustic number. Alex is awesome on this one.

But forgettable?? That is WAY too harsh of a description, trkdrmr. But if that's how you feel...so be it.

Not that this rebuttal is a surprise. ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #652  
Old 03-05-2009, 12:19 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
Now you know I'm gonna chime in a little here about S&A. S&A is hardly forgettable...FORGETTABLE???? Wow! Never would expect to here that said about S&A.

I love The Larger Bowl, TMMB, TWTWB,BF,GNF, MN, and We Hold On is, imo, Superb!

Also, the bass drum part in A & S is sweet! The off-beat drum line in Faithless is cool. The hard rock beat of FC is memorable.

And Hope is a great acoustic number. Alex is awesome on this one.

But forgettable?? That is WAY too harsh of a description, trkdrmr. But if that's how you feel...so be it.

Not that this rebuttal is a surprise. ;-)
Again, no band is perfect. Not every album any band does is a total monster. Calling "HYF" so-so is an equally undeserved slam.

The reflection of Rush tunes that don't sound catchy to me is not a critique of the musicianship or drumming. It just reflects that I have yet to drive around town and have anything from S&A stick in my head like other Rush material. I have tried concentrated listening, background listening and S&A slides off me like teflon. I just can't get into it from any perspective that I try, the material just doesn't grab me.

Meanwhile, "Fly by Night" and "freewill" are songs that are cemented into memory, masterpieces that they are. I am starting this week practicing vintage Rush on the kit starting with fly by night.
Reply With Quote
  #653  
Old 03-05-2009, 12:47 AM
michael drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
Again, no band is perfect. Not every album any band does is a total monster. Calling "HYF" so-so is an equally undeserved slam.

The reflection of Rush tunes that don't sound catchy to me is not a critique of the musicianship or drumming. It just reflects that I have yet to drive around town and have anything from S&A stick in my head like other Rush material. I have tried concentrated listening, background listening and S&A slides off me like teflon. I just can't get into it from any perspective that I try, the material just doesn't grab me.

Meanwhile, "Fly by Night" and "freewill" are songs that are cemented into memory, masterpieces that they are.
Yea, well the fact is that Rush is certainly a band of genius(not only MY opinion), and they will always be held to a VERY high standard. Their new stuff will ALWAYS be compared to what they've done in the past. And that's been the case with them as far back as I can remember.

I've gotten past comparing what they've done in the 70's/80's/90's,etc...to what they do now. and just try to listen to what the music is...TODAY. And I can appreciate the path that they've chosen to take with their specific genre.

They are NOT creatures of repetition. As a matter of fact, that's what drives them to keep recording and touring. Changing and moving on to a different direction. That's what I really respect about them.

And that's no different with what Neil tries to do. He even says that on his 2 DVDs. Always open and looking to explore something new and uncharted. Like he says, "Adding to the toolbox".

I can definitely accept your thoughts and opinions on what you like and dis-like. You have every right to feel the way you do. And, believe it or not, when someone has a difference of opinion about what Neil Peart is all about, I do process what is said/written. But it does seem to me that NP gets unwarranted critiques from some that don't really make a point to back up what they say. Comparing him to Vinnie, or Jo Jo, or Joe Schmoe. Or saying he can't play jazz. I mean, come on! That's not a point at all. Neil is a progressive rock drummer. Probably the best ever. And I don't think he's trying to be a jazz drummer, people. What? He's not allowed to get together with Cathy Rich to remember her father and get some drumming greats together to perform in memory of him? Please. :-|

I've said this before and I'll say it again...it's human nature for us to find some fault with those that are held to a higher esteem. Rush and NP have always been targets for this kind of "crosshair" critiquing.

There's only one way to go when you're at the top of your profession and some enjoy trying to chop you down for whatever reason(s).

Last edited by michael drums; 03-05-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #654  
Old 03-05-2009, 01:26 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Referring to older efforts. I don't see S&A as radically different from vapor trails, certainly not the paradigm shift that Signals represented from the preceding era.

Vapor trails hold significance for me, and it is memorable because of the comeback aspects. Most of the songs evoke images from the book Ghost rider. They also have a deeper significance to me. "One little victory" sticks because it evokes moving forward, even by one small (triumphant) step after an unimaginable tragedy or defeat. "Vapor trails" evokes images seen while travelling the healing road.

Now please, sell me on S&A. What makes it great? I am not being sarcastic here, because I just don't "get" this album. I want to like it, but I have not found a reason to.
Reply With Quote
  #655  
Old 03-05-2009, 01:50 AM
michael drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
Referring to older efforts. I don't see S&A as radically different from vapor trails, certainly not the paradigm shift that Signals represented from the preceding era.

Vapor trails hold significance for me, and it is memorable because of the comeback aspects. Most of the songs evoke images from the book Ghost rider. They also have a deeper significance to me. "One little victory" sticks because it evokes moving forward, even by one small (triumphant) step after an unimaginable tragedy or defeat. "Vapor trails" evokes images seen while travelling the healing road.

Now please, sell me on S&A. What makes it great? I am not being sarcastic here, because I just don't "get" this album. I want to like it, but I have not found a reason to.
Dude, I'm not gonna try to "twist your arm" to like S&A. You have EVERY right not to find it to your liking. It's ok. Really. ;-)

But I feel that Nick Raskulinecz,(Foo Fighters producer) don't ask me to pronounce that, added a new and different spin on Rushs' current sound. Like Neil says, and I tend to agree(big surprise, huh?), Nick challenged them to elevate themselves "individually" to create a different combined experience. And Rich Chycki(Aerosmith/Mick Jagger) added his expertise with the engineering and mix.

Not necessarily elevating the "physical" part but the emotional one. And I believe that they achieved this. Though, it may be more subtle to some ears as it is to others.

To each is own, brudda. ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #656  
Old 03-05-2009, 02:14 AM
michael drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Oh, and...


btw, Ghost Rider and Vapor Trails SHOULD evoke the same images due to the fact the book and the lyrics were penned during the same time of Neils' healing process after losing his daughter THEN his wife ten months later. :-(

It was all the similar emotional struggle he was experiencing while trying to continue with two of his life-passions...writing non-fiction and putting lyrics on paper for song.

Also, I highly recommend Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road. A fabulous memoir of tragedy, grief, healing and hope.


Awesome read!

Last edited by michael drums; 03-05-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #657  
Old 03-05-2009, 02:40 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
Oh, and...


btw, Ghost Rider and Vapor Trails SHOULD evoke the same images due to the fact the book and the lyrics were penned during the same time of Neils' healing process after losing his daughter THEN his wife ten months later. :-(

It was all the similar emotional struggle he was experiencing while trying to continue with two of his life-passions...writing non-fiction and putting lyrics on paper for song.

Also, I highly recommend Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road. A fabulous memoir of tragedy, grief, healing and hope.


Awesome read!
Yes, I have read all of his books, I know his history. That was the "unimaginable tragedy" I mentioned. But the concept is universal for picking yourself up again, and getting on your feet.

I have a couple rush biographies as well. I was shocked to see Rolling Stone finally interviewed them. And Stephen Colbert is obviously a big rush fan, seems how they appeared on his show exclusively.

Neil claimed that vapor trails (lyrically) wasn't personal, but that's too transparent given the parallels to his book.

I wish he still played Ludwig.
Reply With Quote
  #658  
Old 03-05-2009, 05:22 AM
naturalscience naturalscience is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
Default Re: Neil Peart

Snakes and Arrows was ruined by the producer, plain and simple. Vapor Trails was ruined by the mastering.

All in all Test for Echo and Counterparts sound the best overall.
Reply With Quote
  #659  
Old 03-05-2009, 05:23 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalscience View Post
Snakes and Arrows was ruined by the producer, plain and simple. Vapor Trails was ruined by the mastering.

All in all Test for Echo and Counterparts sound the best overall.
I read that the forthcoming Rush compilation has remastered material from VT.
Reply With Quote
  #660  
Old 03-05-2009, 06:50 AM
michael drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalscience View Post
Snakes and Arrows was ruined by the producer, plain and simple. Vapor Trails was ruined by the mastering.

All in all Test for Echo and Counterparts sound the best overall.
Again, another adjective(ruined) that I totally disagree with. You may wanna think again.

Come on ns(though I love the name), that's what you have to contribute as your 2ND POST on this forum? Hmm... :-|


Ruined??


It must be me, 'cause I don't know where they come up with this stuff? Though, Mr. ns may be in disguise as someone that doesn't wanna be noticed. ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #661  
Old 03-05-2009, 07:01 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
Again, another adjective(ruined) that I totally disagree with. You may wanna think again.

Come on ns(though I love the name), that's what you have to contribute as your 2ND POST on this forum? Hmm... :-|


Ruined??


It must be me, 'cause I don't know where they come up with this stuff? Though, Mr. ns may be in disguise as someone that doesn't wanna be noticed. ;-)
It's his opinion... you should let that go, he thought about it and posted what he thinks. I happen to agree that the fidelity sucks compared to other Rush albums. I listen through everything from headphones to hifi, and VT was a murky mix. This was mentioned in a few reviews of the cd when it came out. So we are not alone in that assessment.

Do not assume that the poster isn't a pro soundman, or perhaps an audiophile with high end gear where he can analyze the recording/mastering quality to a "t". Geddy Lee has even stated presto and VT needed remastering.
Reply With Quote
  #662  
Old 03-05-2009, 07:13 AM
michael drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
It's his opinion... you should let that go, he thought about it and posted what he thinks. I happen to agree that the fidelity sucks compared to other Rush albums. I listen through everything from headphones to hifi, and VT was a murky mix. This was mentioned in a few reviews of the cd when it came out. So we are not alone in that assessment.

Do not assume that the poster isn't a pro soundman, or perhaps an audiophile with high end gear where he can analyze the recording/mastering quality to a "t". Geddy Lee has even stated presto and VT needed remastering.
Fair enough, trkdrmr. ;-)

Gotcha!
Reply With Quote
  #663  
Old 03-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Pavlos's Avatar
Pavlos Pavlos is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 475
Default Re: Neil Peart

Is it possible to be a huge Rush / Peart fan and yet still be able to see valid points in the criticism? I think so. It is true that Rush can be an acquired taste, Neil doesn't play with much soul and is definetely not a jazz drummer. Rush's creative peak is behind them and they are showing their age a bit. None of that really matters to me though. I listen to lots of different kinds of music and think that Rush is unique and sounds good to my ears. I haven't missed a Rush concert since 1989.

Neil is one of the main reasons I play drums today and one of the main reasons I pushed myself to discover so many other kinds of music. I don't think he's the best, but then again I don't think anyone is. I think a better word is favorite. That indicates it's my opinion and taste I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote
  #664  
Old 03-05-2009, 11:22 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,882
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
Referring to older efforts. I don't see S&A as radically different from vapor trails, certainly not the paradigm shift that Signals represented from the preceding era.
I'd agree. And perhaps, it wouldn't matter if not for all the press claiming S&A was going to be a big shift in sound. Overall, it seems a continuation from Vapor Trails and Test for Echos.

Not that I think S&A was bad, just I didn't hear this big difference that I read I was going to hear. And when compared to the back catalog, S&A is very much in line with the last few albums.

My only issue with VT is all the songs were all around the same tempo, and as an album, it all sort of sounded the same song to song, even though there were some good songs on the album.

S&A has more variety in tempos and feels, but still, the overall vibe from song to song seems to be the same. Gone are the long musical adventures of the late 70s, gone is the mix of heaviness, gone is the experimentation. Everything is just a bit mellow, I don't want to say bland, but almost like they've gone adult contemporary prog.

Still, I've seen them every tour since 86. The S&A shows were amazing. I just don't buy Rush albums expecting to be blown away anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #665  
Old 03-06-2009, 02:27 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I'd agree. And perhaps, it wouldn't matter if not for all the press claiming S&A was going to be a big shift in sound. Overall, it seems a continuation from Vapor Trails and Test for Echos.
Still, I've seen them every tour since 86. The S&A shows were amazing. I just don't buy Rush albums expecting to be blown away anymore.
One of the hypes was that they were going back to the original, more guitar-based sound. So what?

Guitar, synthesizer, drums or raccoons-singing-in-a-chourus based sound. Doesn't matter to me because I love the guitar and synthetsizer based eras equally well for different reasons.

I just want the material to stand out, and have the meat/technical wizardry I know they are capable of.

I think this sums it up for me as well: I just don't buy Rush albums expecting to be blown away anymore

The last time I truly liked a whole Rush album as soon as I heard it was HYF. I was blown away by force ten and time stand still. After that, it's either been piecemeal (some tunes like presto, RTB and VT) took a little while to appreciate (Counterparts/TFE) or huh? like S&A.
Reply With Quote
  #666  
Old 03-06-2009, 08:01 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,882
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
One of the hypes was that they were going back to the original, more guitar-based sound. So what?

Guitar, synthesizer, drums or raccoons-singing-in-a-chourus based sound. Doesn't matter to me because I love the guitar and synthetsizer based eras equally well for different reasons.

I just want the material to stand out, and have the meat/technical wizardry I know they are capable of.

I think this sums it up for me as well: I just don't buy Rush albums expecting to be blown away anymore

The last time I truly liked a whole Rush album as soon as I heard it was HYF. I was blown away by force ten and time stand still. After that, it's either been piecemeal (some tunes like presto, RTB and VT) took a little while to appreciate (Counterparts/TFE) or huh? like S&A.
I agree, I just the material to stand out.

For the record, Signals was the 1st Rush album I ever bought when I was 12, so I got into them during the synth phase, and then worked my way backwards until I was rocking out to the 1st album.

And I loved Counterparts.

I don't dislike S&A, I just wasn't blown away by it.

But Rush is still GOD in concert.
Reply With Quote
  #667  
Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I agree, I just the material to stand out.

I don't dislike S&A, I just wasn't blown away by it.

But Rush is still GOD in concert.
I have to agree on both. I have paid $65 to see rock acts that have little to no "show" except for playing music. All the Rush concerts I have been to have been an epic experience.
Reply With Quote
  #668  
Old 03-08-2009, 07:17 AM
naturalscience naturalscience is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
Default Re: Neil Peart

SA and VT have great songs in them. My point was that producers and engineers have been known to ruin albums and from my perspective, thats exactly what had happened.

The person mentioning Presto is also correct. The album sounds like a hole lot of bottom end is missing and the mid-range treble is expanded and over emphasized.

Now for those who dislike Neil. I think a lot of it comes from jealousy, or the fact that he agnostic. No doubt about that- I did listen to Snakes and Arrows after all!
Reply With Quote
  #669  
Old 03-12-2009, 06:35 AM
Jonesy's Avatar
Jonesy Jonesy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 185
Default Re: Neil Peart

I just watched the video "Rush in Rio", and the drum solo in "O Baterista" was just absolutely insane. It was ryhthmic, musical, entertaining, and a crazzzzy display of chops. That single handedly changed my mind about him.
Reply With Quote
  #670  
Old 03-12-2009, 08:58 AM
paradiddler's Avatar
paradiddler paradiddler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Metro Atlanta, GA
Posts: 193
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I just watched the video "Rush in Rio", and the drum solo in "O Baterista" was just absolutely insane. It was ryhthmic, musical, entertaining, and a crazzzzy display of chops. That single handedly changed my mind about him.
And on that note...

Number 5 in the countdown towards Neil Peart's best solo has been posted at TheParadiddler.com. Here's the link:

Neil Peart's Solos Ranked - Number 5

"O Baterista" has yet to appear in the countdown; we'll see where it ranks!
__________________
Omar Alvarado, The Paradiddler
Reply With Quote
  #671  
Old 03-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Jonesy's Avatar
Jonesy Jonesy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Newfoundland
Posts: 185
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddler View Post
And on that note...

Number 5 in the countdown towards Neil Peart's best solo has been posted at TheParadiddler.com. Here's the link:

Neil Peart's Solos Ranked - Number 5

"O Baterista" has yet to appear in the countdown; we'll see where it ranks!
I expect to see it at number one; anything less will be a tragedy;)
Reply With Quote
  #672  
Old 03-12-2009, 07:33 PM
LinearDrummer's Avatar
LinearDrummer LinearDrummer is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 930
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum
For the record, Signals was the 1st Rush album I ever bought when I was 12, so I got into them during the synth phase, and then worked my way backwards until I was rocking out to the 1st album.
Yeah I did the same thing started with synths and worked my way back.....

Grace Under Pressure was the first CD I bought from them back in '84....maybe thats why I'm such a fan of the synth era cause Signals, GUP, Hold Your Fire, and Power Windows were in constant play mode on my stereo at that time....

But I can see how people who grew up on the rawer stuff especially 2112 all think after Moving Pictures Rush went downhill....

For me I knew Test For Echo was going in a direction where the appeal wasn't the same....except for One Little Victory Vapor Trails just wasn't doing it for me....

But I have about 16 choices to listen too even thou I'm not feeling any of their new stuff anymore....thats pretty good!
__________________
My babies -
Big Yamaha - Baby Roland - Lil Rodgers
Reply With Quote
  #673  
Old 03-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Guz2's Avatar
Guz2 Guz2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Britain
Posts: 466
Default Re: Neil Peart

After listeng to the seperated drum track to YYZ, I've changed my opinion. He's amazing. It helps with YYZ cos I find Geddy Lee's voice EXTREMELY annoying
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #674  
Old 03-13-2009, 11:18 PM
Pavlos's Avatar
Pavlos Pavlos is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 475
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz2 View Post
After listeng to the seperated drum track to YYZ, I've changed my opinion. He's amazing. It helps with YYZ cos I find Geddy Lee's voice EXTREMELY annoying
Really? I love Geddy's singing on that one.
Reply With Quote
  #675  
Old 03-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Guz2's Avatar
Guz2 Guz2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Britain
Posts: 466
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
Really? I love Geddy's singing on that one.
Hmmm...Personally i think his singing on YYZ lacks something, you know? :-P
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #676  
Old 03-13-2009, 11:58 PM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz2 View Post
Hmmm...Personally i think his singing on YYZ lacks something, you know? :-P
According to Blender magazine, YYZ is Neil Peart's best work lyrically.
Reply With Quote
  #677  
Old 03-14-2009, 01:15 AM
michael drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
According to Blender magazine, YYZ is Neil Peart's best work lyrically.
Oh Yea?


Well, Blunder magazine can kiss my a**!
Reply With Quote
  #678  
Old 03-14-2009, 01:22 AM
michael drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz2 View Post
After listeng to the seperated drum track to YYZ, I've changed my opinion. He's amazing. It helps with YYZ cos I find Geddy Lee's voice EXTREMELY annoying
And as far as Geddys' voice...stop trashin' him on a Neil Peart thread, people!

Not warranted here. Go to the Off-Topic thread if you wanna waste your time doin' that.

Not that he deserves it, either. :-(
Reply With Quote
  #679  
Old 03-14-2009, 02:02 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
Oh Yea?


Well, Blunder magazine can kiss my a**!
Blunder, err blender voted Neil Peart "The all time worst lyracist in rock."

Not sure what drugs they are taking.

Here is a verse from a highly acclaimed band:
"Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah,
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah."

That masterpiece is U2/vertigo.
Reply With Quote
  #680  
Old 03-14-2009, 04:00 AM
genericdrummingusername's Avatar
genericdrummingusername genericdrummingusername is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Post-Industrial Hick wasteland.
Posts: 413
Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
Blunder, err blender voted Neil Peart "The all time worst lyracist in rock."

Not sure what drugs they are taking.

Here is a verse from a highly acclaimed band:
"Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah,
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah."

That masterpiece is U2/vertigo.
They likely slept through all their history classes in high school.
__________________
I also play Bass.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com