DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 PM

Default Kick drum tuning

How does everyone else tune their kick drums? Personally I've found that if I go finger tight on both heads (no drumkey even involved) my 24" kick sounds great. I've recently started going about a quarter turn past finger-tight though because the tension rods were spinning out very quickly and rattling. They still do, they just usually make it through the whole set now. I'm just curious as to how other people tune, because I haven't seen a lot of people that use the same method as me.

Sub-question: How much does climate change affect tension rod spin-out? I'm talking extreme adjustments. Like from a climate controlled venue for six hours, to being in freezing temps in the trailer the rest of the day? I've noticed especially on my lower-tuned drums (floor tom, kick), one of the tension rods will occasionally fall out completely. For example, I've gotten in the habit of double checking my floor tom case for rods when I'm setting up, because they have a habit of falling out in there. Does this happen to anyone else? All my hardware is black, which makes it difficult to find on the floor of a poorly lit venue and I'm worried I'll end up losing one.

www.myspace.com/ineptband
Old 03-04-2009, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Kick drum tuning

heh, I guess no one tunes their kick drums.

: )

www.myspace.com/ineptband
Old 03-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Gold Member

2 turns past finger on batter (evans g1 coated)
1.5 turns past finger on reso (evans eq3 ported smooth white)
Old 03-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

On my 26x18...

Aquarian Superkick 2 -- Medium tight

Aquarian Regulator -- Medium tight as well..

I find I can get many different sounds on this drum. I really can't get a bad sound but I like the feel of the head best at medium tight. It's got a very nice loud punch. A little too loud for in the house but... If I use the method you describe which I have, I get a loud slap. It's ok for some things but I really don't like a mushy batter head.

As for your other question.. yes drums are affected by hot/ humid or hot/cold weather extremes. I usally just have to do more minor tweaking in the heat and humidity of summer than any other time of year . Years ago I had this Tama Swingstar from 1988 and it was a nightmare in extreme humidity. The lugs on the toms would become loose as if someone loosened them with a key. To help this I just tuned up a little higher but not so high that it threw my sound off. They still loosened but not so bad as they once had. I think this problem may be due to worn tension rods or something. This set had some hard use on it. Maybe someone else has a better answer for why this happens on certain drums. I can say that I never had it happen with them until the last year of ownership. I have since traded them in. I have a Tama Rockstar Custom ,an older Tama Rockstar and my new Ddrums and I haven't had the lug issue with any of these 3 sets.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:24 PM

Go to the drum section (Drum Gear > Drums) and look at the Bass drum tuning topic stickied on the top of the page.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

1.5 turns past finger tight batter
2 turns past finger tight resonant
Old 03-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Gold Member

Aquarian SK I

Batter: 1.5 turns
Reso: 2 turns

It's a great higher pitched BOOM!
:)
Old 03-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Silver Member

I was tuning a pearl export for someone and found that when you set the head on the drum there is very little play. So, I found that bringing this drum up to tone level requires less lug turns than another drum brand. the pearl ex's had a tone at 1/4 turn believe it or not.(and its not the first one ive seen this on.) On the other hand my Yamaha kit need about a half to 3/4 turn in order to get a clear tone, and this is because when I set the head on the drum there is play.
Long story short do not take follow advice like "1/4 turns on every lug thats what I do"
even though its well intended. Every drum is different so my advice is start at 1/4 and keep going till you get a clear tone from the drum, flip it over do the same with the othe side..work from there. If you like the relative tone at that point pick the highest pitch lug and match the other lugs with that one..usually you will find that the highest pitch lug will sound like its partner across from it..so on a 6 lug drum all you have to do is dial in the remaining four lugs. Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:15 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I find the drum dial to be an invaluable tool especially for the bass drum. It depends what you are looking for in a BD sound, but the drum dial gives me a repeatable method of arriving at the sound I want. I always tune the reso way tighter than the batter for the sound I like