DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 02-27-2009, 03:36 AM

Default ROLAND TD-9S question

This is a recording question for those out there playing the Roland TD-9S.

I would like to know if buying a serial cable with a 5 pin on one side and a USB end on the other if that will work for recording onto my computer using the MIDI features of the module.

I don't have a 1/4 inch inlet on my puter so using the headphone outlet won't work for me as I think I've read that somewhere on here.

Would I also have to purchase a recording software program?? I can do that no problem... I'm just concerned if this cable would do the trick into my computer for recording.

Thanks in advance!...
~A~
Old 02-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: ROLAND TD-9S question

To record Midi, you usually need a midi input on your computer.

You can buy a midi to USB converter box for around $25-$30.

And then yes, you'll need some sort of software.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:46 PM

a midi input on my computer? sorry but I've never used any kind of midi devices before so I'm ignorant to these types of hookups... and I would have to get a converter box as well?

So then just the cable wouldn't work? You said I usually need a midi input on my computer, does the converter box classify itself as being "the" midi device you speak of or is that something else I would need besides the midi device.

Can you send me some links or something where I can view these items? I would really like to make some stuff on my computer if possible.

Thanks for the help.

~A~
Old 02-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

MIDI signals only contain data about "notes", so to speak, not sounds, so you can't record directly using MIDI. You'll need a program to record the MIDI data and translate it into whatever sound you want to use.

For programs, Drumagog is neat, as is Fruit Loops.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdown View Post
a midi input on my computer? sorry but I've never used any kind of midi devices before so I'm ignorant to these types of hookups... and I would have to get a converter box as well?

So then just the cable wouldn't work? You said I usually need a midi input on my computer, does the converter box classify itself as being "the" midi device you speak of or is that something else I would need besides the midi device.

Can you send me some links or something where I can view these items? I would really like to make some stuff on my computer if possible.

Thanks for the help.

~A~
Your Roland box will have two mid ports, an in and an out.
They will look something like this:
http://proaudiomusic.com/images/midiPort154x134.gif

In general, you use two midi cables to go from your Roland to a midi converter box,
Which will look something like this:
http://www.woodbrass.com/images/wood...CE+USB+HUB.JPG

And then a USB cable from the box to your computer.

Although I understand now you can buy a midi to USB cable that by-passes the box, but I've never used one.

Then you can play into any software program that has midi capabilities, which will record the notes you play. You then can play it back, and the audio will come out of your Roland.

This is very different than recording audio of your playing into a computer, as midi is a computer code. You will need the Roland for the code to play back the sounds of your kit.

Still, there are many advantages of using midi over audio.
It's super easy to edit midi, (which is great if you have a wonderful performance, but one bass drum note is off, it's easy enough to fix one wrong note).
You can take the same midi code, and switch patches on your roland to hear how what you played sounds with different drum sounds.
Midi files are small, and don't take up a lot of resources, while Audio files can eat up a lot of RAM and hard drive space.

Even though I have Protools, I still record my TD-10 using midi because of the extreme ease of use.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:57 AM

Ok, I purchased a new cable with two midi ends and the other has the usb end. I was told this is the new cable which is suppose to bypass the converter box as you mentioned.

Here's a link for the cable:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/20...nterface.html?

I can't get this to work though... even after installing software.

any ideas?
Old 03-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

What software did you install?
Old 03-01-2009, 04:07 PM

I tried EZ Drummer, Drumagog and now I only have Audacity currently installed. I took out EZ and Drumgog so they are no longer.

The thing is though... There are 3 lights on the inline module (on the cable) one is for usb contact, one is for recording and one is for playback. Well the usb light is on meaning I know the juice is flowing but there is nothing happening as far as notes being recorded. It's just silent when I try to record... there's no activity at all likes it's not even there.

This is just nuts. That cable cost me $60.00 (yeah they are proud of it) and it's suppose to be the thing to use. My puter is up to date too so I can't understand what is up here.

I never used midi but as far as computer knowledge I'm pretty darn good at it, I just can't figure this thing out. I tried different setting in the roland module too but there isn't much that can be changed on the TD-9... it's pretty much just on or off with a foot trigger or no foot trigger to start recording.

Anyway... I hope someone can tell me what exact program to use with MIDI capabilities.

I was thinking of trying "Cakewalk", doe's anyone know if this would work?.

I don't know what else to do.
I mean it's not like I'm trying to start the space shuttle or something!.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:30 PM

What about the USB ports? Do they have to be 2.0 or can it use the older 1.1?
Hopefully this problem might be the port since I just checked it out and I have a 1.1 port and not the newer 2.0

I hope this will solve the issue... ok I'm going to go get a USB 2.0 pci card.

I'll let you know if this is the prob as It's the only thing I can see being the prob right now.

Thanks for all the help folks but I'm not done yet lol
Old 03-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

The tech specs on your cable should say whether or not you need an USB2.0 port. If not, contact the manufacturer.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

I do not believe it has t be 2.0.

I know Cubase will do it and I am sure Sonar will as well. So will all of the drum programs like BFD.

You have to be sure you have your midi channels set up to be the same. If everything is default then most likely they are.

You have to trigger something, MIDI is NOT sounds, it is the control messages to tell another program that has the sounds how to play them.

You brain has those sounds built in but when you send the MIDI out it is only sending the MIDI not the sound. Since it sounds like you understand computers a little, MIDI is like a communication protocol. It tells the program when, how loud, how long plus a bunch of other parameters to trigger the sound. Again you have to have a program that understands MIDI and has the sounds.

I searched the web for "free midi drum software" and there is stuff out there for free to try.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 03-01-2009, 08:58 PM

Your right about being 2.0. After further investigation, 1.1 is just slower then a 2.0 but has nothing to do with the midi working or not and no I didn't go and get a 2.0 after reading that.

One thing I did do however is I took a shortcut around midi. I plugged into my "out" for the amp and straight into the mic of my sound card and it works like a charm after opening up Audacity

I'm using a 2 channel 32bit stereo recording setting and after playback it sounds pretty good.

However, I would like to get this midi going and will work on this later today... I assume the music would probably sound better through midi? correct me if I'm wrong. After recording during playback the files are played as .WAV files and come back through my puter sound card through my speakers as anything else would.

Besides after spending the money for the midi features I would really like to see this work.

As far as the settings in my MIDI setup menu? yes they are all back to the factory default settings. I tried the midi with all kinds of different settings too but nothing worked.

I didn't think it would be this tough but as in a lot of things... I'm probably just missing something really stupid and just don't see it... I donno. lol

Now my next question is this: Can someone tell me how to compress a 25mb file down, I mean like waayyyy down so I can email it? winzip wont compress it enough. It's in .wav format.

Thanks everyone but again, I'm not stopping until I get this thing beat!.

~A~
Old 03-02-2009, 02:44 AM
Platinum Member

To me it seems like the computer is not seeing the midi port, which is a setting in the software.

But each software program accomplishes this in a different way.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:47 AM
Platinum Member

Also, you have to set your software midi recording to Midi channel 10.

Midi has 16 channels, and almost all drum modules, including Roland, are set to broadcast and receive on midi channel 10.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:45 AM

yep! its been on 10 the whole time...
I have the latest mpu-401 drivers and also the driver for the cable.

When I open the "Volume Controls" here's what I have on my system.

~Master volume
~Wave
~SW Synth
~Aux
~Video
~CD Audio
~Line In
~Microphone

When I open the "Recording Control" menu here's what I Have.

~Stereo Mix
~Mono Mix
~Aux
~Video
~CD Audio
~Line In
~Microphone

Just wondering if something is missing here? maybe something that says MIDI ??
What should I have the recording control set on too? they have options for these and you can only choose just one at a time in the check box for your default setting.

In the device manager on my system
~I have the MPU-401 compatible midi device
~USB Audio device.
and several media and audio codecs as well.

Basically I'm hitting all around the bullseye here (I think)! grrrr.
and still nothing is working.

I'm starting to wonder If I just might need one of those converter boxes after all!.

This is driving me crazy!

Please let me know if there are any other drivers I can install for midi, MPU and so on that might help out here.

~A~
Old 03-04-2009, 01:24 PM

Ok well it's working now... but tell me this, how the heck can it work when the "IN" on the cable side is connected to the "OUT" on the module and the "OUT" on the cable side is connected to the "IN" on the module???? now I'm really confused! LOL

Last night I decided to swap the plugs around on the module and then it started working, go figure!.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Well, the signal travels OUT of the module and IN to the computer, and vice versa, so it is kind of logical...

You're right though, I remember finding that confusing the first time I tried to hook up a MIDI cable too ;-)
Old 03-06-2009, 01:31 PM

Yeah and to think I spent 2 or 3 days trying to figure it out! LOL try running the wiring in your house that way and it'll burn down! LOL.

Well needless to say it works.

Thanks everyone,... for trying to help me with this prob.

~A~