DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-03-2009, 10:54 AM

Default Finally got my first maple drum kit, need head ideas

A Pacific LX series 5-piece (22,10,12,14,16) shell pack that I picked up last week. They were used (stamped 07'), but in flawless condition. However the store had just gotten them in on trade and had not replaced the heads that they got brought in with yet.

The salesmen ranted on about how he loves Evans G-plus coated and highly suggested them and I went along. Now I'm regretting it. Not the sound I'm going for, way to high and airy sounding for my taste on the 10 and 12. 14 and 16 are ok. All the resonants are remos with the DW logo, so those need to get swapped out as well.

I'd always just went with Remo pinstripes for my last kit that I owned for nearly 10 years, that being an old Pearl Export. Having a new kit and one that's not mixed wood, I'd like to stray away from those in search of a warm punchy rock sound that I've heard maples produce. Especially on the 10 and 12.

I'm leaning towards the G2 because I prefer to control the overtones myself vs. having it built in like on the EC2'.

Open for any suggestions and thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Finally got my first maple drum kit, need head ideas

Go with the evans G2s and you will get that warm punchy rock sound you are after.
Rock On Man.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:35 PM

I have EC2 on a PDP CX series kit and they sound great, especially on the 14" and 16" floor toms. However I have them on my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes and I'm not so crazy about them. Finding the right heads for a new kit can be a pain. Another head I've used in the past that sounded great was Aquarian Studio X clear. Single ply but with control rings. Real fat sounding heads. Good luck!
Old 03-03-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummydude View Post
I have EC2 on a PDP CX series kit and they sound great, especially on the 14" and 16" floor toms. However I have them on my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes and I'm not so crazy about them. Finding the right heads for a new kit can be a pain.
No doubt, and I hate the idea of wasting money in the process of finding just the right heads. My friend uses Super-2's w/ power dots and he let me throw them on my 12 and 16. They were too lifeless sounding, so I've ruled those or any heads that overly dampen out.

Thankfully, the bass came with an EMAD1. That with it's muffling ring, combined with a 4" hole in the reso + a tiny towel in front has an amazing sound that I love, so I won't have to fool around with that any.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusto 62 View Post
Go with the evans G2s and you will get that warm punchy rock sound you are after.
Rock On Man.
As a former Pinstripe guy myself, I'll second this notion of trying out the G2's. I haven't played the G-Plus', but if you feel as though the single ply is to "high and airy", I think you'll be pleased with the G2's
Old 03-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member

I've had good results with coated G2s in the past. You can tune them however you want and it still works and sounds good.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

i used to use pinstripes, now i use g2's for batter and ambassadors for resonant on my metal kits. I still use coated diplomats for my jazz kit.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 PM

On my ludwig maples (toms 12, 13, 14, 16, and my snares [3]) I use Remo Vintage A heads on the batter side and clear medium weight Ludwig weathermaster or Remo ambassadors on the reso side. Th eVintage A's are as thin as the ambassadors, but with 2-plys instead of one which seens to create a warmer, punchier sound
Old 03-03-2009, 09:19 PM

Remo Emperors sound amazing on my maple kit, especially the 13" rack tom. Maybe try hydraulics too, even though a lot of people hate them. I played on a shared kit at a show once that had hydraulics on it and the 10" rack tom sounded AMAZING. Haven't had the chance to try them on my own kit yet, but I believe the shared kit was all maple as well.

And when you eventually replace the kick heads, try the Aquarian SuperKick II batter and Regulator front. Sounds just as good as the EMAD stuff (I recently switched) for way cheaper. You'd probably be able to lose any muffling inside the drum itself as well.

www.myspace.com/ineptband
Old 03-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

I used G2 coated on my CX kit, loved them. i was playing classic rock and blues.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 03-04-2009, 02:00 AM

alright, well my birthday is today and my parents said i can get anything under a 300$ price range! I was thinking on either getting the sabian b8 super cymbal set which is 299 but i would need the hardware which my parents would let me buy. or a nice set of aquarian heads. like and aquarian superkick II, hi-energy head (snare), and preformance II for my tom toms and floor toms.
what do ya thinks