DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-27-2009, 05:34 AM

Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
Well...

Thanks paradiddler! It's great that you are posting these. I find them quite interesting and enjoyable. Of course, as many know, I'm a rather huge follower of NP and what he's accomplished in his 33+ years of drumming, lyric penning, and recording. Not to mention his knack for non-fiction.

Keep up the good work, paradiddler. Some of us really do appreciate this.

Peace. ;-)
Hey Michael Drums.

My pleasure! I've been wanting to write about this topic for a while, and since Neil put out yet another solo for the Snakes and Arrows tour, it made the decision much easier! Lots of fun for me, and maybe I'll get people to talk about it (agreeing and disagreeing).

We all love drums, and although Neil Peart is my favorite drummer, there are so many good drummers that my blog should be well fed for a long time!

Anyways, enjoy the articles!
Old 02-27-2009, 04:42 PM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddler View Post
Hey Michael Drums.

My pleasure! I've been wanting to write about this topic for a while, and since Neil put out yet another solo for the Snakes and Arrows tour, it made the decision much easier! Lots of fun for me, and maybe I'll get people to talk about it (agreeing and disagreeing).

We all love drums, and although Neil Peart is my favorite drummer, there are so many good drummers that my blog should be well fed for a long time!

Anyways, enjoy the articles!
Exactly! ;-)

MANY excellent drummers out there. I try to pick up a little supom' supom' from each one I see/hear.

Thanks again! :-)
Old 02-28-2009, 08:17 PM
trkdrmr

I found a jan/feb 1989 issue of "drums" magazine.

This may be the last Zildjian ad Neil ever did.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Gold Member

Neil Peart can fly........
Old 03-01-2009, 01:19 AM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
I found a jan/feb 1989 issue of "drums" magazine.

This may be the last Zildjian ad Neil ever did.
Cool. First time I've ever seen this add. Don't think he'll been doin' another one of these though.

Since he's now a Sabian Paragon partner for, what I believe will be, a LOOOONG time.

Nice, trkdrmr! ;-)
Old 03-01-2009, 01:58 AM

The man's a genius. He's the guy who got me into drumming in the first place.

Not to mention he's one of the few drummers I've heard who has sexy, enjoyable drum solos. Der Trommler's the best.

(And man, this backwards way of viewing threads is so confusing. I'm not used to it. Dx)
Old 03-01-2009, 05:27 AM
Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Beeche View Post
The man's a genius. He's the guy who got me into drumming in the first place.

Not to mention he's one of the few drummers I've heard who has sexy, enjoyable drum solos. Der Trommler's the best.

(And man, this backwards way of viewing threads is so confusing. I'm not used to it. Dx)
For the first time, I know that Neil Peart has SEXY drum solos...Where is the sexy side?
Old 03-01-2009, 12:08 PM

I'm gonna have to come out and say I don't like Neil Peart. Or Rush. His drumming has no soul as far as I'm concearned and Geddy Lee has an annoying voice =/
Old 03-01-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz2 View Post
I'm gonna have to come out and say I don't like Neil Peart. Or Rush. His drumming has no soul as far as I'm concearned and Geddy Lee has an annoying voice =/
I know this was your opinion and I do respect it (as should everyone here on the best drumming website ever). What defines drumming as having soul? What is "soul" to you? I'm just asking for clarification from not only you but other members who continuously whip this type of comment out to describe Neil and others without any sort of backup. So I guess I need an education. And please read this as a friendly request, I really am asking this question politely to avoid any feuds which can safely take place over the internet. I'm sure there is a "search" function here that I can use but I want to hear about it now.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

'Soul' to me is hearing the person through the music. The technique of the playing is irrelevant. If I listen to 'Interstellar Space' by John Coltrane - I hear a lot of notes, but I also hear John Coltrane. If I listen to a lot of technically demanding drumming I don't often hear a person making a statement there, I just hear a lot of technically demanding drumming. Almost invariably I like music because I'm hearing people, not notes.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:34 PM
michael drums

Quote:
And soul is what, Guz2?

You come on hear and say that you don't like him and that he has no soul, but don't elaborate. :-|

I believe you'll get many that totally disagree with that "no soul" statement.

Ever listen to La Villa Strangiato? The Trees? The Camera Eye? Cinderella Man? Jacob's Ladder? The Weapon? Digital Man? I could go on and on listing songs that, I believe, have huge soul in their drum parts.

Sorry, but I gotta disagree with ya. Not that that's a surprise. ;-)

Last edited by michael drums; 03-01-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:33 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
I'm gonna have to come out and say I don't like Rush.
You are right. I hate Rush. Fat, bloated, old with no soul at all. I can't stand the sound of....

...oh wait...my bad... you mean the progressive rock group RUSH, oops. I really dig those guys and the music and everything. I could have sworn you meant Rush Limbaugh....

Last edited by trkdrmr; 03-02-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwilliams View Post
For the first time, I know that Neil Peart has SEXY drum solos...Where is the sexy side?
That's simply the way I describe a strong, moving beat that makes you want to dance in sexy ways.

Mystic Rhythms, High Water, and Middletown Dreams has them.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
It depends on which era of Rush you listen to. I have to admit, Geddy's shrieking habit was annoying for the first couple of albums, but he's mellowed out since Permanent Waves, so there's no excuse that I can think of.

Okay, he doesn't sound the best live (since R30), but there are TONS of vocalists more annoying than him. ACDC on The Razor's Edge, for example. I've actually heard a lot of vocalists who sound like they're TRYING to sound like they're highschool ninnies who can't sing.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
'Soul' to me is hearing the person through the music. The technique of the playing is irrelevant. If I listen to 'Interstellar Space' by John Coltrane - I hear a lot of notes, but I also hear John Coltrane. If I listen to a lot of technically demanding drumming I don't often hear a person making a statement there, I just hear a lot of technically demanding drumming. Almost invariably I like music because I'm hearing people, not notes.
See? An elaboration that was succinctly written and helps me understand that "soul" in music is hearing people and not just notes. That is a great answer to my question and I tell you what MFB, I will think about that for quite some time. Understandable coming from a premiere member.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:48 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zumba_Zumba View Post
See? An elaboration that was succinctly written and helps me understand that "soul" in music is hearing people and not just notes. That is a great answer to my question and I tell you what MFB, I will think about that for quite some time. Understandable coming from a premiere member.
It's just nice to occasionally get feedback like that. Particularly as I've just spent ten hours of my life I'll never get back on a neuropsychology essay. I'm not going to make any judgments about what people like and what people don't like - it's always about the argument rather than the statement. I get frustrated when there's blind hero-worship going on and unfortunately I see a lot of it on this thread and others with no argument. Just occasionally it's nice to have something to say that can apply to anything in any walk of life.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:25 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
It's just nice to occasionally get feedback like that. Particularly as I've just spent ten hours of my life I'll never get back on a neuropsychology essay. I'm not going to make any judgments about what people like and what people don't like - it's always about the argument rather than the statement. I get frustrated when there's blind hero-worship going on and unfortunately I see a lot of it on this thread and others with no argument. Just occasionally it's nice to have something to say that can apply to anything in any walk of life.
In fairness, both side of the coin here. Neil is one of the many drummers subject to blind loyalty. He also a magnet for bashers. Neil is one of the few drummers that take flack from people that just don't like his popularity.

I accept Neil for what he does ( as I have stated before) but it is indeed unrealistic to say that he grooves and swings like so many drummers that are better at it than he is. I have no rose colored glasses for that.

There needs to be discourse and acceptance on both sides of the fence. IOW: I agree...there needs to be more solid argument, not just limitless praise or demonization.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:29 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I just want to say that I've never demonised the man. Just the blind followers that frustrate me. His style doesn't do it for me - that's a case of the 'soul' but I have an argument and I have stated it. All I ever get on this thread is an example of tautological non-reason from the faithful. That's why it gets heated.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:35 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
I just want to say that I've never demonised the man. Just the blind followers that frustrate me. His style doesn't do it for me - that's a case of the 'soul' but I have an argument and I have stated it. All I ever get on this thread is an example of tautological non-reason from the faithful. That's why it gets heated.
I never got any "soul" from Peart... and I have listed to everything he's done. The closest thing to "groove" is mystic rhythms and body electric. I also wouldn't call Rush danceable music, and yes, I agree... his playing is on the stiff and robotic side of the spectrum.

To say he plays with soul is kind of stretching the definition. I believe the people who blindly praise are unrealistic about Neils limits and his sound. I know this may shock some fans, but yes, as much as I love Neils work...he has limits.

If someone asked me would I rather play like Peart or Coliauta, I'd opt for Vinnies abilities in a second. Vinnie could play everything Peart can, and then slip over and play megadeth, and then sit in and play big band swing or deep in the pocket. Peart stops at...Peart. His jazz sounds really rigid, like he is channeling Rush into Buddy's music. Doesn't work for me.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:55 AM

About this 'soul'/'moving the listener' thing. It's more about the listener than anything else.

For example I have a preference for strong and simple beats, usually with a kick on every quarter note. Neil's good at that sort of thing (especially Middletown Dreams, Territories and The Weapon), so he moves me pretty easily whenever he does it. He's also got some of it in Der Trommler, so I like the solo as well.

I know people who loved John Bonham's Moby Dick solo. I found it boring, just a list of techniques.

Okay, fresh observation, coming straight out of Territories: The power of Peart lies not just in the man himself, but in the entire band. Alex Lifeson's not as exciting when he's on his own. Neither is Geddy Lee, and neither is Neil Peart.

The power lies not in the skill of their playing, but in how well they go together. Get out a copy of Territories, and skip to the 1:27 mark. You have a guitar riff and a bassline that match each other like two pieces in a puzzle. The strong and simple beat just serves to add power and backing to them.

Neil Peart's strength is not his ability to play exactly like any other drummer besides himself. (Heck, I don't even consider that an important skill) If it was, he wouldn't really be himself, and be unable to piece himself with Alex and Geddy so well.

I see a similar sort of criticism with Alex Lifeson. Some people got pissed at him be cause he stopped playing a lead role. (Known as Alex Lifeson Disease) Thing is, it's not like he buried himself under the rest of the band. Rush isn't about Alex or Geddy or Neil. It's not about your big fancy solos and your shiny blonde hair. It's about Rush. In order for them to be able to compose powerful music, they had to learn how to play in balance and cooperate with each other.

When you're listening to Neil Peart, you're not listening to one man, you're listening to one part of a whole, the being known as Rush.

Quote:
His jazz sounds really rigid, like he is channeling Rush into Buddy's music. Doesn't work for me.
Haha, I bet it's because Neil doesn't play jazz as much as Rush stuff. We've all got something to improve on.

Actually, I think Rush as a whole should get into more jazz & blues, or just something completely different from what they're doing now. If you listen to Vapor Trails (after remastering) and Snakes & Arrows, they're actually pretty tired albums. Your 'older stuff' does NOT count as something completely different, you sillies! (A reference to Alex Lifeson's Guitar Player interview in 2007) They did that back in the Permanent Waves-Grace Under Pressure era, when they realized they couldn't play 'just rock'. What came out of that? Strong reggae influences.

On a similar note, I believe more fans should not be blinded by their love and ignore their idol's mistakes. Rather, a true fan should be a little like a good teacher--they should be able to identify what is wrong with their idol's music and give suggestions to help them improve. There must always be a balance of Love and Reason.

Last edited by Anne Beeche; 03-02-2009 at 07:32 AM. Reason: moar cowbell
Old 03-02-2009, 12:36 PM

Well written Anne and great music citations from Rush's library. I think the rigidity that Neil has was addressed eons ago in this thread: stadium progressive rock back in the 70s and 80s on top of playing with sequencers in the 80s and 90s. The rock in rio dvd has loads of "things that can go wrong" when you deal with all that technology and every part of it is crucial to pulling off a great Rush show (they seem to be perfectionist-like). All that pressure can make one play rigid. I tend to think he looks looser when playing in his Anatomy dvd during the "exploration" parts (except for some Africanesque high tom playing). I don't know, I like him and he is and always will be my drum hero even though I'm well aware others can out-play him.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Pioneer Member

My wife picked me up the snakes and arrows live DVD yesterday. I enjoyed it immensly. I enjoyed the live versions of some of the older songs and Neil's solo is newer and fresher, though still with elements of the old solo..lol.

Anne makes the point well. Neil is an excellent drummer and has certainly influenced about 10 million more drummers then I ever will. Maybe he's not the Best drummer that ever lived but he is certainly better then I am. What he plays fits perfectly with Rush. Does he try to better himself? Probably, We all do. And I'd certainly trade places with him for a few paychecks. lol

I just read the best/worst solo's list.................. Now I need to listen to em all to see which one I really like best, Rush in Rio was excellent, and the YYZ solo was the first one I ever studied and played (Parts of anyway), I enjoyed the snakes solo... but probably have to rank RIR my fave.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion

Last edited by Drumsword; 03-02-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: More cowbell
Old 03-02-2009, 02:24 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Beeche View Post
Haha, I bet it's because Neil doesn't play jazz as much as Rush stuff. We've all got something to improve on.

Actually, I think Rush as a whole should get into more jazz & blues, or just something completely different from what they're doing now. If you listen to Vapor Trails (after remastering) and Snakes & Arrows, they're actually pretty tired albums. Your 'older stuff' does NOT count as something completely different, you sillies! (A reference to Alex Lifeson's Guitar Player interview in 2007) They did that back in the Permanent Waves-Grace Under Pressure era, when they realized they couldn't play 'just rock'. What came out of that? Strong reggae influences.

On a similar note, I believe more fans should not be blinded by their love and ignore their idol's mistakes. Rather, a true fan should be a little like a good teacher--they should be able to identify what is wrong with their idol's music and give suggestions to help them improve. There must always be a balance of Love and Reason.
I myself, am aware of these things, I made the comments so that they may aid this thread in a better direction. As I observed, just a few posts ago, it was two guys bantering and shooting across each others bow. And there were too many black and white comments "Hate him/Love him" with nothing in the middle.

I liked some material on vapor trails, S&A is still weak to me, my listening is tentative at best. The last album I really enjoyed was test for echo. I can say though, there are some hard core Rush fans that jumped off the wagon at signals. They didn't accept the change. With me I try to let an album sink in, but with S&A to this day, not much sticks with me after the fact.

Either way, the merits and perceived shortcomings need to be discussed coequally. It's not constructive for either blind praise or rabble-rousers who drop by the thread just to bash. The bashers can be the worst, as they rarely, if ever elaborate other than to say "He's not my cup of tea.".

Rush is supposed to be working on something new. I really wish it would be more raw, on the level of permanent waves. Maybe one last album where they can capture something more concrete and go out in better form, at least to me.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:47 PM
michael drums

Quote:
I never got any "soul" from Peart... and I have listed to everything he's done. The closest thing to "groove" is mystic rhythms and body electric. I also wouldn't call Rush danceable music, and yes, I agree... his playing is on the stiff and robotic side of the spectrum.

To say he plays with soul is kind of stretching the definition. I believe the people who blindly praise are unrealistic about Neils limits and his sound. I know this may shock some fans, but yes, as much as I love Neils work...he has limits.

If someone asked me would I rather play like Peart or Coliauta, I'd opt for Vinnies abilities in a second. Vinnie could play everything Peart can, and then slip over and play megadeth, and then sit in and play big band swing or deep in the pocket. Peart stops at...Peart. His jazz sounds really rigid, like he is channeling Rush into Buddy's music. Doesn't work for me.
Hmm...

that's interesting, 'cause the definition of soul is STILL not defined by any post that leans toward "negatives and "nay-saying". It's obvious that there's a disparity between what drummers we admire and which ones fall short of our impressiveness.

To compare NP with VC, is just a cop-out and unfair to BOTH. They are both "equal" in the genre that they accompany. And to even bring up what one "can do what the other can" is a bit lacking in depth of point.

Look, you like who you like. I'm not gonna dispute that. But anything that's a "bash-like" comment towards NP, really doesn't hold water for a guy that's accomplished what he has, and not warranted.

What I believe is "soul" may not be the same as what someone else feels. Which is simply a difference of opinion.

And I simply agree to disagree with your assertion.

;-)
Old 03-02-2009, 06:04 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
Hmm...

that's interesting, 'cause the definition of soul is STILL not defined by any post that leans toward "negatives and "nay-saying". It's obvious that there's a disparity between what drummers we admire and which ones fall short of our impressiveness.

To compare NP with VC, is just a cop-out and unfair to BOTH. They are both "equal" in the genre that they accompany. And to even bring up what one "can do what the other can" is a bit lacking in depth of point.

Look, you like who you like. I'm not gonna dispute that. But anything that's a "bash-like" comment towards NP, really doesn't hold water for a guy that's accomplished what he has, and not warranted.

What I believe is "soul" may not be the same as what someone else feels. Which is simply a difference of opinion.

And I simply agree to disagree with your assertion.

;-)
You have reinforced my point. You reject any and all critiques of Neil, even in the slightest. If someone doesn't think Neil has much soul or groove, automatically you dismiss the opinion as if it could not possibly exist in any universe. Not to mention, since Neil is not omnipotent as a drummer (notably swing and groove) you treat anything that implies this as a bash. More to discuss.

I would be lying if I said he grooves like Stanton Moore. I would be exaggerating if I said he could swing like Art Blakey. There has to be a line of demarcation between what Neil excels at, and what he doesn't.

Meanwhile, an interview I have never seen.

Neil Peart is interviewed by John Oakley for "Burning for Buddy"
Is on youtube.

Last edited by trkdrmr; 03-02-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:20 PM

With all that has gone on in this thread over the past few days I feel compelled to share a story.

I was 17 years old at the time and was watching A Show of Hands. My great-aunt Bernice was walking by and saw the enormous drumset and asked, "Who is that? He sure has a lot of drums." I felt like this was a good opportunity to share my belief at the time: "That's Neil "Pert" and he is the best drummer in the world." Without hesitation she scoffed and replied, "Well I'm sure Buddy Rich would have something to say about that." I was floored as I sort of knew who BR was. At first I was thinking, "whatever, Neil would destroy that old man." But I took the high road and let her have her opinion. It was okay to accept that Neil was possibly not the best in some people's minds. I think the people who try to "slam" him are actually and honestly looking for a reason why people love him so much. What is it about Neil's drumming that is so exciting? Or it could be that people just feel like slamming a hero. It is just human nature to let someone have it when they mash your favorite things under their feet (safely behind their computer I might add). So all in all, it is okay if people have different thoughts and if they seem like they are coming to a thread that is supposed to give kudos to an individual only to "slam" them try to believe most of them are only offering a challenge that can be backed up quite well. It is hard though, you just want to reach through the screen and cut off their air supply. But remember that this is a discussion forum and if we respond with anger, no good is gained.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I myself, am aware of these things, I made the comments so that they may aid this thread in a better direction. As I observed, just a few posts ago, it was two guys bantering and shooting across each others bow. And there were too many black and white comments "Hate him/Love him" with nothing in the middle.

I liked some material on vapor trails, S&A is still weak to me, my listening is tentative at best. The last album I really enjoyed was test for echo. I can say though, there are some hard core Rush fans that jumped off the wagon at signals. They didn't accept the change. With me I try to let an album sink in, but with S&A to this day, not much sticks with me after the fact.

Either way, the merits and perceived shortcomings need to be discussed coequally. It's not constructive for either blind praise or rabble-rousers who drop by the thread just to bash. The bashers can be the worst, as they rarely, if ever elaborate other than to say "He's not my cup of tea.".

Rush is supposed to be working on something new. I really wish it would be more raw, on the level of permanent waves. Maybe one last album where they can capture something more concrete and go out in better form, at least to me.
Thanks a lot for having a developed opinion. You can't imagine what the community is like where I come from. Everybody over there has a mindless black-or-white opinion, and have a pretty messed up idea of what 'good music' is.

Hah, even my dad is black and white. (Rush love is genetic) He loves Rush, but sometimes I don't think he's fully aware of Rush's weaknesses. Alex's picking attack is messy, and Geddy admits he can't slap or pluck and he doesn't sing great live anymore, and Neil Peart... I think he relies on electronics and samplers a bit too much. They all need to go out and find something new.

(Good music is not a fact, you ninnies! It is an opinion based on your tastes and what you feel is important in music!)

The worshipers are about as bad as the babble-rousers. They're like, enemies of each other, and that's why they exist.

Heck, Neil HATES that worshiping stuff. I think he much prefers critiquing fans.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I know this was your opinion and I do respect it (as should everyone here on the best drumming website ever). What defines drumming as having soul? What is "soul" to you? I'm just asking for clarification from not only you but other members who continuously whip this type of comment out to describe Neil and others without any sort of backup. So I guess I need an education. And please read this as a friendly request, I really am asking this question politely to avoid any feuds which can safely take place over the internet. I'm sure there is a "search" function here that I can use but I want to hear about it now.
One word: Bonham.

Quote:
Keith Moon was the best at that. There's no denying that, from a techniqure point of view, that Neil is a lot better than Keith was...It's just...I can't explain (no pun intended)

And I don't think I've really given Rush a proper chance. Maybe later, when get un-addicted to the NWOBHM...If that ever happens :-P
Old 03-03-2009, 12:06 AM
michael drums

Quote:
With all that has gone on in this thread over the past few days I feel compelled to share a story.

I was 17 years old at the time and was watching A Show of Hands. My great-aunt Bernice was walking by and saw the enormous drumset and asked, "Who is that? He sure has a lot of drums." I felt like this was a good opportunity to share my belief at the time: "That's Neil "Pert" and he is the best drummer in the world." Without hesitation she scoffed and replied, "Well I'm sure Buddy Rich would have something to say about that." I was floored as I sort of knew who BR was. At first I was thinking, "whatever, Neil would destroy that old man." But I took the high road and let her have her opinion. It was okay to accept that Neil was possibly not the best in some people's minds. I think the people who try to "slam" him are actually and honestly looking for a reason why people love him so much. What is it about Neil's drumming that is so exciting? Or it could be that people just feel like slamming a hero. It is just human nature to let someone have it when they mash your favorite things under their feet (safely behind their computer I might add). So all in all, it is okay if people have different thoughts and if they seem like they are coming to a thread that is supposed to give kudos to an individual only to "slam" them try to believe most of them are only offering a challenge that can be backed up quite well. It is hard though, you just want to reach through the screen and cut off their air supply. But remember that this is a discussion forum and if we respond with anger, no good is gained.
Touche', Zumba Zumba...Touche'. ;-)

Well spoken and so true.

Exactly my take on all this.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Posts deleted. Talk with each other, not about each other. Thanks, and have a nice day.

(illegal smilie of your choice)
Old 03-03-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath View Post
Posts deleted. Talk with each other, not about each other. Thanks, and have a nice day.

(illegal smilie of your choice)

Administrator DogBreath to the rescue! I was wondering when this was going to happen(illegal lol).

Anyways, I recognize Niel's limits, but also am a dedicated fanboy nonetheless.

Neil 4life!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:34 AM
Administrator Emeritus

G.D.U.N., I'm a bit of a fan boy (fan old man?) myself. Notice how little I have contributed to this thread?
Old 03-03-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
G.D.U.N., I'm a bit of a fan boy (fan old man?) myself. Notice how little I have contributed to this thread?
*panics*

Are you accusing me of something? I'm pretty sure that was my first post of this thread.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:40 AM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericdrummingusername View Post
*panics*

Are you accusing me of something? I'm pretty sure that was my first post of this thread.
You may wanna re-read DBs' post again. He wasn't accusatory AT ALL.

Now, can we get back on topic please? Again.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:42 AM

I am definitely not getting sucked into this.

Neil RuleZ!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:55 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Sorry, sorry, sarcasm is hard to convey. I was joking that I am afraid that if I start talking about Neil (or Bermuda, or Akira Jimbo) that I'll start typing in all caps and then I might have to ban myself (as Bernhard occasionally threatens to do).
Old 03-03-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Sorry, sorry, sarcasm is hard to convey. I was joking that I am afraid that if I start talking about Neil (or Bermuda, or Akira Jimbo) that I'll start typing in all caps and then I might have to ban myself (as Bernhard occasionally threatens to do).
xD Haha, you actually have a good point.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:55 PM
trkdrmr

Here is a compilation of videos of those covering his playing:

Teddy Z

98z radio drum off winner

12 year old Sara

Nick Ceasarz

Spirit of the radio Neal Braatz

Exit stage left Sillers

Subdivisions cearrbhach

The point of this is, among drummers to emulate there seems to be more drummers trying to play like Neil Peart on youtube than any other drummer.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

I've been a Neil fan since 1982, but I've only seen Rush 5 times (a mere smidgeon compared to some of you folks). However, as much as I love Neil and the band, I sure do miss the Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, Moving Pictures days. To me, that was when the guys were really in their prime. Don't get me wrong...I've enjoyed many albums since then, but those semi-earlier albums were something special.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:39 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerland755 View Post
I've been a Neil fan since 1982, but I've only seen Rush 5 times (a mere smidgeon compared to some of you folks). However, as much as I love Neil and the band, I sure do miss the Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, Moving Pictures days. To me, that was when the guys were really in their prime. Don't get me wrong...I've enjoyed many albums since then, but those semi-earlier albums were something special.
There was a grittiness to that era. Compare the sound of permanent waves of fly by night to the overdone (IMO) vapor trails. There is more edge, and more bite. I am also a huge fan of the underrated era from signals through Test for echo.

I think when all is said and done, the most slam comes from the 1st era. I was just listening to xm/sirius Rush deep cuts. They played everything from "lakeside park" to "Xanadu." The 1st era for me was the more primal in terms of both energy and visceral impact.