DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-01-2009, 12:12 PM

Default an uncommon question about v-drums

Hey guys

I was wondering why the sensitivity in the roland vdrums are not the same for cymbals and drums. I noticed that you can hit much lighter on the mesh heads than on the CY- cymbals.
My problem is, that due to my disability I have a very little amount of strenght in my arms and legs. I have experimented with all kinds of set up and I seem to have found a method which works for good for me. A couple of days ago I put a spare pd. 80 pad instead of my hihat. It worked perfect I grooved more and I could play all the little accents and variations I have always had in my mind. The problem with this set up is two things, the first issue is the depth of the drum - having put a pd 80 pad on the hihats place is a problem because the drum is simply too deep, leaving only 2 inches between snare and hihat. the other issue I have is the rim of the pd 80 which kind of hinders fast hihat and snare work.
My question to you guys is if any of you have experimented with DIY e-kits, is it possible to "open the drums" and take the electronic part out or simply cut some stuff off.
Could it be a problem with my sensitivity in the hihat or can you give them as high asensitivity as the mesh head drums? I know this is not a very typical question but I really hope you can understand my problem and help me a bit with ideas or experience from the D.I.Y. The ideal solution to the problem would be if my hihat pad simply had as high sensitivity as the drums.
Thank you guys for reading this and I hope you will try and help me out - all ideas are welcome

Peace
Old 03-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Big_Philly

Default Re: an uncommon question about v-drums

What V-drum kit do you have? I have a TD6 and I can adjust the sensitivity of each pad. Check your user manual. I think it's possible for most e-kits to adjust pad sensitivity.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:29 PM

I have a td 20 module. All the pads are already at max sensitivity but the mesh head pads just, for some reason unknown to me, has much higher sensitivity than the cymbal pads
Old 03-01-2009, 11:52 PM

[quote=handito;546695]Hey guys

I was wondering why the sensitivity in the roland vdrums are not the same for cymbals and drums. I noticed that you can hit much lighter on the mesh heads than on the CY- cymbals.

I play the Roland td 9. Basic setting of sensitivity is found in [f 2]. Press f 2, choose basic... Simply tap the pad and choose ...level of sensitivity. If they are at full sensitivity try changing the threshold, or the linear (curve) as this corresponds between playing dynamics and volume change. When the threshold is set to a higher value and struck lightly, no sound is produced. Check this and adjust accordingly to your playing style. This should solve the problem... Good Luck.

Last edited by henno; 03-02-2009 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Misunderstood previous thread.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:42 AM
Platinum Member

I'm not so sure about the TD-20, but on the TD-10, there are basic sensitivity settings, but you can also access "advanced" settings that can further customize the sensitivity beyond the normal settings.

Also, I've noticed some times a pad will start go bad, and won't be as sensitive as it once was. I'd trying switching out the pads.

Also, the cable itself can start to go bad, which can affect sensitivity.

I will say the mesh heads do tend to be more sensitive than rubber pads.