DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 09-11-2007, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Too Double Bass or not to Double Bass

I have always played single pedal-bass. Last birthday my wife bought me a double pedal. I mastered it in about two days. I really enjoy the double but it does fill like your fudging. However you can really enhance and muffle with the left pedal. I have my left pedal beside my hi-hat pedal so I often will play the hi-hat with my toes and the left bass with my heal. There is definitely a time and place for its use and going crazy with it can be too busy. The first two weeks I thought about taking it off and going back to single, but then I decided that it is a useful tool just don't go crazy.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I mastered it in about two days.
Didn't we all. .
Old 09-12-2007, 05:07 AM

I guess saying I picked up double bass in two days is bragging, but after playing 42 years it just seemed pretty natural and fun. But then again, I have lost all the hearing in one ear (I had a tumor in my ear) and the other is weakening so I maybe fooling myself. My wife fusses that I only have one good ear and the drums will kill my other. So be it!!!! I can't quit-major withdrawal when I don't play and a pad don't cut it. I guess I should add that playing 42 years doesn't mean I any good either.

Last edited by GetAgrippa; 09-12-2007 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
I have always played single pedal-bass. Last birthday my wife bought me a double pedal. I mastered it in about two days. I really enjoy the double but it does fill like your fudging. However you can really enhance and muffle with the left pedal. I have my left pedal beside my hi-hat pedal so I often will play the hi-hat with my toes and the left bass with my heal. There is definitely a time and place for its use and going crazy with it can be too busy. The first two weeks I thought about taking it off and going back to single, but then I decided that it is a useful tool just don't go crazy.
GetAgrippa,
Get a grip! Come on dude, we don't buy into that kind of talk around here. If you honestly think you mastered your double pedal (in 2 days or ever), then what do you need to discuss with us?
Old 09-12-2007, 05:37 AM

Yeah, "Master" was definitely a poor word choice. I should have stated in two days I was proficient, well O.K., adequate. I have delusions of adequacy at times. Forgive me. My point was the double is not for every song, but it does have its advantages. See I do have an apt moniker. GetAgrippa!!!!Clever pun and descriptive-get a grip of my stick (that could have a double meaning. hee, hee) and brain. The more I think it has almost been a year since my last birthday so the two days maybe an exaggeration or time warp. Dang I'm losing it. Getting like Ozzie!!!!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:14 PM

i dont think anyone HAS to play dbl bass pedal
i mean it depends if thats the skill u want in ur asenal
u neva know if u need to call on those skills
but also i think u need to 'master' (to a decent level lol) the single first
i rekon its important to be able to play single really well b4 getting the dbl pedal.
thats wat i say to all my mates
im not claiming to b an expert, this is just my opinion

so really the answer to the question- too double bass or not to double bass
really is- if u want that skill or not
Old 09-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
Yeah, "Master" was definitely a poor word choice. I should have stated in two days I was proficient, well O.K., adequate. I have delusions of adequacy at times. Forgive me. My point was the double is not for every song, but it does have its advantages. See I do have an apt moniker. GetAgrippa!!!!Clever pun and descriptive-get a grip of my stick (that could have a double meaning. hee, hee) and brain. The more I think it has almost been a year since my last birthday so the two days maybe an exaggeration or time warp. Dang I'm losing it. Getting like Ozzie!!!!
Right on,
I hear you. Have you seen Simon Phillips double bass video in the drum cliinic section (http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/s...arabass.html)? Great exercise!
Old 09-12-2007, 06:20 PM

Thanks slinger for the slap into reality and the Simon Phillips video (the link didn't work but I found it). Phillips is an awesome drummer. I like his mentality and approach towards the drums-very methodical. He looks so balanced with both feet. My right foot is so much stronger than my left and it tends to dominate. I have been practicing left foot alone trying to build it up. My left foot and ankle are stiff also from old injuries. This is an awesome site and I love the videos. I am so impressed with the vast numbers of excellent drummers of all different ages. These granddads still got chops, and some of these kids younger than 12 just blow me away.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:51 AM

Default Re: double bass or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek_boy_in View Post
are we more concerned about making music or having some weird acrobatic skills ?? this is a drummers forum not circus artists' ....... most music directors out there are least bothered about how you create the sound as long as you are GROOVING ..even if that takes to using readymade drum loops instead of actual people ...... period.

pardon me if I come accross too harsh ... but could not help after reading the myopic one sided comment ....
I'll ignore this. :)
Old 02-23-2009, 05:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funked_up View Post
DO NOT GET ONE until you are very comfortable with one pedal. double bass drum pedals are a very useful tool, but only when you have the single pedal pretty much 'mastered'. everyone always says 'dude! look how fast that double bass drum is going!" or "dude get one then you can play all that cool fast stuff!" this is not true. if you are good enough with your hands and feet, you shouldnt need a double bass drum. i mean come on, most of the old jazz drummers didnt use a double bass drum. and they are/were the best drummers ever. HOWEVER, there is one exception in my opinion. if you want to play metal or thrash or soemthing, you should probably CONSIDER getting one. thats what i have to say. hopefully you will take my advice. haha.

Tim
Horse Hockey!! What you're implying here is that if you get a Double Bass Pedal or use two bass drums all of your work ethic will go out the window!! That's a load of poopie!!

Yeah, if you're lazy and let the equipment dictate how you're going to play something you'll take the "easy" way out. But if you want to "master" anything, having a double pedal isn't going to change your plans or make you work with your main foot any less. In fact, it SHOULD promote just the opposite, as you build up your main foot, the OTHER foot should be practiced equally to strengthen and make precise the playing if it also. NO??

Giving yourself new tools to improve your abilities won't diminish the improvement of your main foot . . . unless YOU let it.

However, using a double pedal WILL allow you to play patterns that you could NOT play on a single pedal, your main foot's prowess is not in question, the fact that it is not TWO feet is.

Try a paradiddle with one foot!! . . . see what I mean?? Think of the possibilities!!
Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 02-23-2009, 07:32 AM
Silver Member

I play progressive metal and use double-bass to accent syncopated unison rhythms in my band's songs, as well as the OCCASIONAL "straight 16ths" approach to add a sense of aggression to thrashier riffs.

HOWEVER I do feel that practicing single-foot technique is important to one's development as a drummer and that a second pedal shouldn't be added until the player is completely comfortable with single pedal. Personally, I think I could've used another year or so with a single because regretably i find myself using double bass as a crutch during certain situations. But I'm practicing more and more and broadening my musical taste to correct this.

My Yamaha Kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...050#post287050
Old 02-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondXheartbeat View Post
I play progressive metal and use double-bass to accent syncopated unison rhythms in my band's songs, as well as the OCCASIONAL "straight 16ths" approach to add a sense of aggression to thrashier riffs.

HOWEVER I do feel that practicing single-foot technique is important to one's development as a drummer and that a second pedal shouldn't be added until the player is completely comfortable with single pedal. Personally, I think I could've used another year or so with a single because regretably i find myself using double bass as a crutch during certain situations. But I'm practicing more and more and broadening my musical taste to correct this.
I agree witth this. I've always had a double pedal. I've been playing for about 10-11 years. Im almost 18 and i've recently just taken away the double pedal and turned my six piece kit into a four piece. I never realized how much i used to use the double pedal to do things that are "sapose" to be done with one foot. I"m having to learn learn how to do this now. But by moving the high hat ware my slave pedal used to be has greatly improved my playing.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:03 AM

If you think you ever want to use double bass, get one asap and start getting that left foot into shape! If my left foot could do what my right foot can (in terms of speed and control) I would be a very accomplished footsmen!
Old 02-23-2009, 09:21 AM

i always had 2 seprate bass drums on all my kits
Old 02-26-2009, 08:29 PM

I played drums for 20 years, gave it up for 10, and now have been playing again for close to a year. When I took it up the second time, I made a decision to learn double bass. Got myself a double pedal, a good book (Encyclopedia of Double Bass Drumming by Bobby Rondinelli and Michael Lauren), and committed myself to a well disciplined practice routine.

Ive come a long way, but not yet where I would like to be with it.
For those who say why or why not I say why not! Im not a metal guy. More of a Jazz and middle of the road-rock guy. The reason I wanted to learn it, is that to me, some of the greatest soloists use the double bass drum with some unbelievable dramatic effects. And, since I have been practicing with it, I found myself becoming much more creative in my grooves as well as solos. Anybody think the same way?..............
Old 02-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a thought...

Orchestral bass drum player play rolls with two sticks. Do you think they have arguments about whether they should just use one, because two is cheating?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:59 PM
trkdrmr

...and my utterly flippant response is that I am getting a 2nd kick for my kit. I am not interested in the reasons why I shouldn't from other people. I am getting a 2nd kick because I like two kicks, or at least a double pedal. Don't like two kicks or two pedals? The simple solution is to use one pedal and not worry about what others play. Be happy.

Trying to discourage someone else on the basis:
-They will only play boring things
-They will get lazy
-They won't use it
- Creativity suffers

Are all absurd. We have thousands of recordings of great stuff from fills, to grooves to fast footwork. It's the same nihilistic attitude that says everyone should own a bop kit with two cymbals and a single pedal and be happy. Wrong. No one needs to feel boxed in by someone else's prophecies of doom.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:07 PM

i cant think of a single metal or hardcore drummer, or anything like that, who just does sixteenth note blast beats in his songs. even metal drumming takes skill, although most people would say it is the "easiest" style, it really isnt easy at all and neither is playing a double bass well. if you ever listen to hardcore and/or metalcore you can tell theres more than just sixteenth notes, it takes a lot of ability to be able to do what they do. honestly though, outside of metal i cant really see a useful application of double bass drumming. also, dont sacrifice any other techniques in your practice time to practice double bass, just do what I did, practice longer lol
Old 02-26-2009, 11:08 PM
WFD ACEDRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post
You have to realize people like Tim Waterson who do their best to have all the speed they can on the bass drum are as fast as it is realistically possible to be. Each foot is about to it's human limit. It's not like really fast double bass players don't work on single, it's SO important to have each foot fast individually.
I have posted MANY times that drummers need to focus on one foot FIRST
I actually do a LOT MORE single bass and I try to push my right foot to do more patterns that i use to play with one foot Then when I add the hi hat instead of a bass drum you can come up with some pretty interesting pattermns
tim
www.timwaterson.net
http://timwaterson.blogspot.com/
Old 02-27-2009, 05:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofriendlyunitshifter View Post
^that's a post that will convince just about anyone not to buy a double pedal.
If I did not already own 5 double pedals I would STILL get one. That point of view shouldn't make anyone do ANYTHING they don't want to.

Has everyone lost their understanding of good taste?? Why would the addition of a double pedal make you throw common sense and good taste out the window? Are you all giddy with the addition of a piece of equipment you've added to your kit?? All of a sudden you're doing 250BPM double bass fills in vocal ballads??

C'mon man, if you're overusing the equipment it's YOU that's doing it, the pedal isn't doing it by itself, it's an inanimate object for C@#%&*'s sake!!

If you're overusing the pedal it's because you lack self control, musical disipline and are too lazy to keep thinking musically. It's no different than adding another cymbal or other piece of equipment to your kit, it's up to YOU to play it in a style that compliments the music you're using it in.

Self control people, that's all it takes.
_
_
Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace