DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 02-12-2009, 03:05 AM

Default maintenance

what would be the correct way to have an excellent care to drums?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:25 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: maintenance

Dust them, Clean the dirt from the edges of the rims, Most important of all, Don't let people who don't know how to play, Play them! Thats the best advice that I have learned!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Dust them, Clean the dirt from the edges of the rims, Most important of all, Don't let people who don't know how to play, Play them! Thats the best advice that I have learned!
All good stuff. I hate when people walk into my drum room and automatically think they have access to everything and sit down to play.

Really annoying.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:16 AM
Gold Member

The FIRST thing I did to all my hardware is put a clear thread grease on every thing that gets adjusted. Some people don't suggest this on drum lugs because they can loose their tuning quicker. I don't mind tuning more often and I don't have to worry about a galled up tom lug.

After transporting the kit to and from shows, I always wipe off finger prints from rims, hardware and cymbals. If you use wood tip sticks, make sure they are in good condition with no chips. In general, this will help sustain the life of your heads from nasty scratches.

Yes, by all means possible keep the Noobs off the kit and you wont have to worry about dents in those precious batter heads.

Every few months or so, I will use #26 Meguiars yellow on the finish ply, lugs, rims and hardware. It makes it easier to wipe off prints with micro-fiber cloth.

Last but not least, don't subject any of your drums to extreme cold or moist storage. If doing a show outside during the summer, never set up on a stage where direct sunlight is blazing down on your kit (trust me on this one).

OOPS, welcome to the forum. :)

Last edited by Nodiggie; 02-26-2009 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Welcome
Old 03-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Silver Member

Cover them with a sheet when you aren't playing them. This will cut down on how often you have to clean them that is if you do not take them outside of your home. I use Turtle Wax detailing spray on everything with a cotton rag for cleaning.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
Cover them with a sheet when you aren't playing them. This will cut down on how often you have to clean them that is if you do not take them outside of your home. I use Turtle Wax detailing spray on everything with a cotton rag for cleaning.
Yes, covering the kit up when you're not playing it is a good idea, especially if it's in a dirty old basement, like mine is! Steel wool works great for cleaning light rust and dirt from chrome parts like lugs and hoops; I once restored an entire kit with it. Make sure you get grade "0000", which is the least abrasive.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Every time I change the heads, I clean the rims, run my finger around the bearing edges, clean out the dust that was between the old head and the rims. Wipe of the shell. Just a good dusting and keep them away from heat and cold changes and especially moisture.