DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 02-24-2009, 10:01 PM
805Drummer's Avatar
805Drummer 805Drummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BEHIND YOU.
Posts: 1,451
Default Re: Oh NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IneptDrummer View Post
now I'm curious. :)
Long story short, TRX offered me a sponsorship, and offered me a good discount on their cymbals. It turns out they were *probably* taking advantage of me because I am young and vain, and to get some extra sales...because I don't even need new cymbals. I just wanted to be able to say I'm "sponsored."
__________________
PDP 805 & Zildjian A
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 PM
aruration aruration is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Posts: 278
Default Re: Oh NO!

The difference, from my experience, of having a falam slam or not on the head is barely noticeable.. It doesn't really affect the sound of your bass drum.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-24-2009, 11:55 PM
805Drummer's Avatar
805Drummer 805Drummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BEHIND YOU.
Posts: 1,451
Default Re: Oh NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruration View Post
The difference, from my experience, of having a falam slam or not on the head is barely noticeable.. It doesn't really affect the sound of your bass drum.
But compared to the Aquarian pad, it seems like it's a bit worse.
__________________
PDP 805 & Zildjian A
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-25-2009, 01:06 AM
oops's Avatar
oops oops is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 579
Default Re: Oh NO!

People get their fame through playing with famous bands, doing lots of clinics, or being great players.

There's no real point in being able to say you're 'sponsored' by a company, no-ones really going to be very impressed.

One of my mates was endorsed by an up and coming stick company. They put a bio on their website for him, promised they'd send him 10 pairs of sticks and a t-shirt.

I think they finally realized he wasn't really doing much musically, he was just a great Myspace publicist and networker. 2 years later, he's still waiting for the sticks, still strutting his stuff, with his 'endorsement'. It's not going anywhere.
__________________
Wishing I was Stanton Moore...
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-25-2009, 01:39 AM
805Drummer's Avatar
805Drummer 805Drummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BEHIND YOU.
Posts: 1,451
Default Re: Oh NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oops View Post
People get their fame through playing with famous bands, doing lots of clinics, or being great players.

There's no real point in being able to say you're 'sponsored' by a company, no-ones really going to be very impressed.

One of my mates was endorsed by an up and coming stick company. They put a bio on their website for him, promised they'd send him 10 pairs of sticks and a t-shirt.

I think they finally realized he wasn't really doing much musically, he was just a great Myspace publicist and networker. 2 years later, he's still waiting for the sticks, still strutting his stuff, with his 'endorsement'. It's not going anywhere.
That's terrible! They should have at least let him know...

The story's a bit more complicated, but yeah, in the end, I decided it wasn't worth it.

The guy did offer me a subscription to Modern Drummer AND Drum!, which is worth a lot, but after I sent him the email asking for an explanation for what wloeb said, no reply.
__________________
PDP 805 & Zildjian A
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-25-2009, 03:07 AM
mrchattr's Avatar
mrchattr mrchattr is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 1,439
Default Re: Oh NO!

Glad you got good advice.

Here's the thing about endorsements (and, again, if a company is talking about a sponsorship, that's NOT the same thing, and it's a sign that you may be being taken for a ride)...the reason companies give you endorsements is because you play out in public A LOT. Silver Fox didn't care nearly about how good I am as how often I am out there. The bottom line is that I have the deal I have with them because they get their name seen at 150 gigs a year or so, in a few CDs every year, and mentioned in local media from time to time. Every company I have spoken to has been the same way.

If you aren't playing out a ton, and you get an offer, there is something wrong (and I realize that you already got help, but I know others will read this as well).
__________________
Saluda Cymbals Endorser
Silver Fox Endorser

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-25-2009, 03:28 AM
805Drummer's Avatar
805Drummer 805Drummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BEHIND YOU.
Posts: 1,451
Default Re: Oh NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
Glad you got good advice.

Here's the thing about endorsements (and, again, if a company is talking about a sponsorship, that's NOT the same thing, and it's a sign that you may be being taken for a ride)...the reason companies give you endorsements is because you play out in public A LOT. Silver Fox didn't care nearly about how good I am as how often I am out there. The bottom line is that I have the deal I have with them because they get their name seen at 150 gigs a year or so, in a few CDs every year, and mentioned in local media from time to time. Every company I have spoken to has been the same way.

If you aren't playing out a ton, and you get an offer, there is something wrong (and I realize that you already got help, but I know others will read this as well).
Except I have thousands of viewers on Youtube, which is kind of better than playing publicly, or maybe just in a different way: You can link to your endorsees, and recommend them in the comments.
__________________
PDP 805 & Zildjian A
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-25-2009, 03:42 AM
wloeb wloeb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 493
Default Re: Oh NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805Drummer View Post
Except I have thousands of viewers on Youtube, which is kind of better than playing publicly, or maybe just in a different way: You can link to your endorsees, and recommend them in the comments.
1000's of hits on youtube doesn't mean much. I'm sorry to say that you are not a famous drummer, yet.

Wayne
__________________
My recording experiment:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=40247
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-25-2009, 03:50 AM
805Drummer's Avatar
805Drummer 805Drummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BEHIND YOU.
Posts: 1,451
Default Re: Oh NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wloeb View Post
1000's of hits on youtube doesn't mean much. I'm sorry to say that you are not a famous drummer, yet.

Wayne
Haha, I know that! I'm just saying; For example, Cobus is more influential than most semi-pro gigging drummers. He could endorse Pitch Blacks, and I swear, people would buy them.
__________________
PDP 805 & Zildjian A
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-25-2009, 05:02 AM
Christ-Hammer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Oh NO!

Don't get cocky now, half of your comments or all of them I have seen, no offense have been negative.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 02-25-2009, 05:33 AM
IneptDrummer IneptDrummer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 95
Default Re: Oh NO!

Oh I see. Well, keep em on the backburner in case you need new cymbals down the road I guess. As long as you're smart about reading and negotiating contracts there's nothing wrong with getting some discounts or free stuff. Haha, sometimes you don't sign anything. I endorse Silverfox and get sticks at cost, except they forgot/didn't care enough to make me sign with them so I'm bailing as soon as a full endorsement with anyone else comes along. Rob Wu has wronged me greatly a couple of times. Jerk.

This is getting way off-topic, but if you're looking for endorsements try Silverfox sticks. They're nice, and I've heard the guy there has been much better to other people than to me.
__________________
Custom Maple DDrum 4 piece (Tangerine Glass)

www.myspace.com/ineptband
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-25-2009, 03:31 PM
mrchattr's Avatar
mrchattr mrchattr is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 1,439
Default Re: Oh NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IneptDrummer View Post
Oh I see. Well, keep em on the backburner in case you need new cymbals down the road I guess. As long as you're smart about reading and negotiating contracts there's nothing wrong with getting some discounts or free stuff. Haha, sometimes you don't sign anything. I endorse Silverfox and get sticks at cost, except they forgot/didn't care enough to make me sign with them so I'm bailing as soon as a full endorsement with anyone else comes along. Rob Wu has wronged me greatly a couple of times. Jerk.

This is getting way off-topic, but if you're looking for endorsements try Silverfox sticks. They're nice, and I've heard the guy there has been much better to other people than to me.
I deal with Jeff. He's a lot better than Rob, and I've never had a problem with him other than the occasional flakey stuff. And by that I mean that you call him up and say, "I need stuff sent," and he says, "I'll get it out today," then you get an e-mail two days later asking what it was you needed, and then he ships two days after that.

With that said, if you don't use the gear, you shouldn't be trying to endorse the gear. I love companies that have that rule.
__________________
Saluda Cymbals Endorser
Silver Fox Endorser

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-25-2009, 08:36 PM
805Drummer's Avatar
805Drummer 805Drummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BEHIND YOU.
Posts: 1,451
Default Re: Oh NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IneptDrummer View Post
Oh I see. Well, keep em on the backburner in case you need new cymbals down the road I guess. As long as you're smart about reading and negotiating contracts there's nothing wrong with getting some discounts or free stuff. Haha, sometimes you don't sign anything. I endorse Silverfox and get sticks at cost, except they forgot/didn't care enough to make me sign with them so I'm bailing as soon as a full endorsement with anyone else comes along. Rob Wu has wronged me greatly a couple of times. Jerk.

This is getting way off-topic, but if you're looking for endorsements try Silverfox sticks. They're nice, and I've heard the guy there has been much better to other people than to me.
Silverfox...I checked out their website, and the sticks look pretty killer! Prices are okay, too. I'll have to try them out.
__________________
PDP 805 & Zildjian A
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Fiery's Avatar
Fiery Fiery is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Serbia
Posts: 705
Default Re: Oh NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805Drummer View Post
I know they last a long time, but I've read that they make the drum sound a little more dead. Of course, it's all opinion, but it's like Pitch Blacks: Most people don't like them, and very few do...
So, "a little more dead" is one of the "really bad things" you heard about them? Man, I wonder just how really bad the other things are... And comparing them to Pitch Blacks? Come on! Remo Falam Slams are one of the staple products of the drumming indrustry. Thery're probably the most used patches in the world
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-25-2009, 10:20 PM
IneptDrummer IneptDrummer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 95
Default Re: Oh NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
I deal with Jeff. He's a lot better than Rob, and I've never had a problem with him other than the occasional flakey stuff. And by that I mean that you call him up and say, "I need stuff sent," and he says, "I'll get it out today," then you get an e-mail two days later asking what it was you needed, and then he ships two days after that.

With that said, if you don't use the gear, you shouldn't be trying to endorse the gear. I love companies that have that rule.
I love the sticks, just Rob got ridiculous on me last time I ordered. Over a period of two weeks, I gave him the card info and address (was my first order with them) in two emails and a few voicemails (Guy *never* answers the phone). At one point he told me that the order was put in, but it wasn't. And then told me that I hadn't given him my card info, which obviously I did. Long story short, it came down to me finding out that the order hadn't even been processed yet and tour left the next morning. I had to overnight a dozen pairs and talk him into paying half of the shipping. I still can't believe I even paid half of it, because it was in no way my fault, but whatever.

I assume by your last statement you're talking about me wanting to endorse Sabian even though I have never played them before? I'm a drummer with a couple of broken cymbals, a rejection from Zildjian, and a band that tours almost constantly. Can you blame me for jumping on the opportunity to possibly get some much-needed gear for free?
__________________
Custom Maple DDrum 4 piece (Tangerine Glass)

www.myspace.com/ineptband
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com