DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-29-2008, 12:19 AM

Default Re: moongel or e-rings?

Yes indeed it does, but some blue tacks have acidic properties that can sometimes eat through skins eventually. Duct tape is easier to sorta dampen perminently, just how i like it, hence i will never need to remove it :)
Old 11-29-2008, 02:45 AM

another reason that I muffle my drums is in the band I play in, oftentimes when we practice, you can't hear the guitars and vocals over the drums, because of all the overtones. so I muffle them.

and I muffle the drums at gigs.

if you're micing the drums at a gig, I don't think the drums being loud enough in the mix is an issue at all. because let's face it, drums and cymbals are LOUD. and it's not like a guitar when your can turn a knob and lower the volume. yes, you can play softer, but drums and cymbals have response thresholds where they need to be hit with a certain force to get a good sound out of them. and if you're amplifying the drums even further, it's gonna be even louder. (obviously)

I've muffled my drums at all my gigs, and being loud enough in the mix has never been an issue for me.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

I assume people who dis Moongel, e-rings, etc., do not put pillows in their bass drums. Talk about dampening!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I assume people who dis Moongel, e-rings, etc., do not put pillows in their bass drums. Talk about dampening!
Super kicks, Emads, Powerstrokes. I always laugh when someone says they don't muffle the bass but go on to say they use one of those heads.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:25 AM

Me too haha, i guess they just dont realise the heads are dampened lol
Old 11-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
Super kicks, Emads, Powerstrokes. I always laugh when someone says they don't muffle the bass but go on to say they use one of those heads.
Technically, anything with a thicker head is muffling to an extent. Any double ply or coated heads muffle more than a single ply clear head.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkerwood View Post
Technically, anything with a thicker head is muffling to an extent. Any double ply or coated heads muffle more than a single ply clear head.
Whatever. I'm interested in the techy talk. I'm interested in playing, not ripping into people because they use gels, rings, tape... ect.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
sometimes I use both a Remo PowerSonic (it's like an EMAD) AND a towel in the bass drum.

so maybe I am a bit of a muffling junkie... for the bass drum at least. for the toms and snare, I only use 1 Aquarian Studio Ring for each drum.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumguyfromWI View Post
sometimes I use both a Remo PowerSonic (it's like an EMAD) AND a towel in the bass drum.

so maybe I am a bit of a muffling junkie... for the bass drum at least. for the toms and snare, I only use 1 Aquarian Studio Ring for each drum.
Man, an Emad AND a pillow? lol you sure do like a muffled bass drum. I personally like the thuddy sound in the Emad, but no other muffling what so ever. I love that big BOOM sound in the bass drum...the Emad kind of keeps each kick, especially double kicks nicely defined.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphfz View Post
Right on Cypriss. Hay i was just wondering wat moongels r lol? i've never heard of them till now, i've been living unda a rock :(.
Hey... sorry for the late response.. but better late than never, right?

Moongels are little pieces of a gummy/sticky/washable gel-like material. Kind of like those :sticky-hand" gumball machine prizes available years ago. They stick to almost anything, and have proven to be quite useful to drum applications.

Picture a big wad of chewed gum in your mouth, having a loose head or overly-washy cymbal on your hands. Now... think of having a little piece or three of chewy, sticky, gummy bit of gooey-ness that can be applied and removed "as-needed" for muffling/quik-fix applications that is as available as a piece of gum. There you have a "Moongel".... Completely removable/adjustable and works like a "space-age" product should...lol

They come in a rectangle shape of about 1 in X 2 in, and can be cut down to preference. Always worked, and never permanent, These things are great, imo!!!
Old 11-30-2008, 10:14 AM

ahh i see, thanks :P
Old 12-09-2008, 03:19 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoking View Post
Thats cool. How did you manage to get in touch with him?
His email addy was on his website. That simple. It took him a LONG time to get back with me. The funny thing was to me was that he actually apologized for taking so long to email me back.

It's still in my Hotmail inbox. I get a cool feeling every time I see it in there.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:36 AM

if u must,
I would say, get Moongels.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:26 AM

I have used both and moon gels rock, they are simple and work great. downside. after a while they tend to stop being sticky. I think that depending on how many you use, and how big the pieces they give just the right amount of resonance to the drum. Too much ringy and there isn't enough clarity in the drum and it sounds like crap, but no resonance takes away from the tone and just overall presence of the drum. I felt like with studio rings it took too much. and they suck out doors when windy. Something I tried and am loving letely are the evans mini emads on my toms. I use a medium one on my 12 inch tom and a large on the 14 inch floor tom and man just the right amount of overtones.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:23 PM
peanut23s

my m8 uses both makes a very good effect
Old 12-13-2008, 07:52 PM

id say and use, moongels on snare and e rings on toms. straight up
Old 01-18-2009, 11:25 PM

My 2 cents.
Here are a few muffling devices I use but as stated previously it is all personal pref.

What we have here is the #1 Moongel (I like this stuff for cutting out an annoying ring. Cut it up and use a small piece here and there), #2 a simple felt clip on and #3 an active/gated snare mute (I've used it on toms too and it works fine).

I'm not a fan of the rings and I have seen some major grunge accumulate under them after several gigs but hey, use what you like and like what you use I say. At least I think I said that once. Maybe not out loud but you get the idea.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Take a business card out of your wallet and put in on the snare up against the hoop closest to you.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Take a business card out of your wallet and put in on the snare up against the hoop closest to you.
Used that one too. Or a credit card but make sure not to let it go flying away while you're playing
Old 01-19-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
What are you referring to?
Old 01-23-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypriss View Post
CAN YOU NAY SAYERS STOP BAGGING DAMPENING! If you dont llike the sound of drums dampened thats fine but there is no need to bag on people cause they dampen there drums.I dont dampen at all either, but i can understand people wanting to as i guarantee these are people who never take there drums out of the house and have strange accoustics or just simply want to make the drums not so loud(for the room there in)or they like dry attack with little resonance.Its like when i see a post from the same person ie.dont dampen your drums let them sing. then in another post :wy ask silly questions "trust your ears".total contradiction! I've had my rant.
One of my favorite all time rants. =)
Old 02-09-2009, 11:27 PM

evans ec2's on the toms, emad on the kick, problem solved ! :)

before i used those, i used the moongels. they work great, easy to adjust, no buzzing. i always used a studio ring on my snare, but i've gotten away from that a bit. i kinda like to hear her ring.

why in the world do they call them "studio rings" when they are probably the worst thing to use in the studio ? buzzzzzzzz on every track..... yuck !
Old 02-09-2009, 11:35 PM

Moongel on The Toms and Snare ! The cheapest, most effective upgrade i ever did to my kit. Use an Evans EMAD II on the Bass. Best combination.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Pioneer Member

I use the Moongels from time to time. I have a new set of clean ones waiting for when I get asked to muffle up. Sometimes, if a particular room makes a drum sound too "honky" then I'll put a small piece of Moongel on it.

I also have a set of Moongels that I have cut into tiny little squares of different sizes, all the way down to the size of a tic tac.

Sometimes, you only need a tiny bit to get rid of a weird sound.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:46 AM

I'm about 80% good tuner, the other 20% Evans e rings take care of.