DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-04-2009, 01:40 PM
wert90's Avatar
wert90 wert90 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brighton, UK
Posts: 93
Default cheap alternative to acoustic foam?

ok, it may not be an amazing idea and certainly wont give the best results ever. but...


i have no money.

i have a small practice room (facing drums into the corner is my best option space wise)

i have some protection racket soft cases (nice big and soft)



would putting these bags infront of the bass drum not help sound? like those corner bass trap things..... im going to go give it a go.... im thinking out loud. making the most out of what you got ey
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-04-2009, 03:22 PM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,545
Default Re: cheap alternative to acoustic foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wert90 View Post
ok, it may not be an amazing idea and certainly wont give the best results ever. but...


i have no money.

i have a small practice room (facing drums into the corner is my best option space wise)

i have some protection racket soft cases (nice big and soft)



would putting these bags infront of the bass drum not help sound? like those corner bass trap things..... im going to go give it a go.... im thinking out loud. making the most out of what you got ey
Are you looking to try and stop sound from getting out or just control the amount of sound that bounces around inside your room?
__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Rezn8's Avatar
Rezn8 Rezn8 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 95
Default Re: cheap alternative to acoustic foam?

If you are trying to make the room less ambient, heavy moving blankets are the "best" cheapest way to go.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-04-2009, 08:00 PM
diosdude's Avatar
diosdude diosdude is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 951
Default Re: cheap alternative to acoustic foam?

If you have a car or truck, try going down to the carpet store and ask the manager if you can have any scraps that they would throw away. I've done this a couple times and gotten some decent sized pieces. My band mates even went dumpster diving before to retrieve used carpet that was still useable.
__________________
I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drums all day!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,228
Default Re: cheap alternative to acoustic foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
If you have a car or truck, try going down to the carpet store and ask the manager if you can have any scraps that they would throw away. I've done this a couple times and gotten some decent sized pieces. My band mates even went dumpster diving before to retrieve used carpet that was still useable.
Putting carpet on the walls can be tricky, depending on the size of the pieces. It could come out looking really awful if you Frankensteined a bunch of pieces, or it could look cool if you took some time to do it right.

You would also insulate the space better from temperature swings, an added benefit.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-06-2009, 11:36 PM
drumguyfromWI's Avatar
drumguyfromWI drumguyfromWI is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 288
Default Re: cheap alternative to acoustic foam?

old carpet or egg cartons or an old matress or anything soft that will absorb sound
__________________
~Taylor
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-07-2009, 12:24 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: cheap alternative to acoustic foam?

I bought some large, cheap egg-crate mattress covers at Wal-Mart for $14/ea. If you can spring for the dough for two of these (one in front and one behind you), you'd be in pretty good shape.

Another approach is to just buy one of these and cut it into 1'x1' squares. Place some of them (with spaces between them) on all sides of you and even above you on the ceiling, if you have any left. It'll break up the sound and help reduce echo in the room.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-09-2009, 04:13 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,228
Default Re: cheap alternative to acoustic foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I bought some large, cheap egg-crate mattress covers at Wal-Mart for $14/ea. If you can spring for the dough for two of these (one in front and one behind you), you'd be in pretty good shape.

Another approach is to just buy one of these and cut it into 1'x1' squares. Place some of them (with spaces between them) on all sides of you and even above you on the ceiling, if you have any left. It'll break up the sound and help reduce echo in the room.
You should bump your thread showing your practice room and what a great job you did on that so these guys can see the possibilities.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-09-2009, 06:40 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: cheap alternative to acoustic foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
You should bump your thread showing your practice room and what a great job you did on that so these guys can see the possibilities.
Well, it looks like the picture bug is still present on the forums, you can't see them:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37523

I have those pics archived somewhere, I'll try to find and replace them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Numberonefan Numberonefan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 290
Default Re: cheap alternative to acoustic foam?

You need to decide what you want to accomplish before moving ahead.

Do you want to sound proof or treat the acoustics in the room?

You can reduce the sound leak in or out from an average size room for less then 10 or 12 grand.
To learn more start reading here… http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=2

I can answer “some” questions but it’s a huge topic and I’m not sure that’s what you looking for.


You can shape the sound in a room almost for free. Carpet, big fluffy furniture, ets will all help control echo. But determining the frequencies you want to control will change the approach.
Some cheep DIY panels that I made are here…
http://www.angelfire.com/sports/RCca...tic_panels.htm

Great reading here.
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Rezn8's Avatar
Rezn8 Rezn8 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 95
Default Re: cheap alternative to acoustic foam?

Egg Cartons on the walls has NEVER sounded good to me. Also presents a fire hazard. I'd advise everyone to avoid that option.

I've used carpets on the ceilings and what really helps is if the pieces are not flat. We used a staple gun to secure some 2 x 2 ft carpet remnants to the ceiling and let the carpet pieces sag a bit in the center so they are curved. That seemed to give us the best results.

As noted, if you can fill the room with dense objects like couches, futons etc, that will help. We've also used heavy blankets on the walls bust as I said in my original post, MOVING BLANKETS are cheap and work well.

The biggest problem with foam in general is that it just sucks the life out of the room without taking care of the real problem frequencies, which are mostly bass related. That's why compressed insulation type "bass traps" are so highly recommended.

Pay particular attention to corners, because that is what usually gives you the most trouble with flutter echos and bass build up.

There is a ton of info at http://www.realtraps.com and the owner is insanely helpful.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com